Crossing the line - what it meant to buy your first LV

I kept on saying to myself: "OMG - I have a #*&^% Louis Vuitton - oh my god oh my god - I can't &^%*'ing believe I have a Louis Vuitton purse!!" :dothewave:
Now that I think about it, I guess I was bit dramatic but I honestly thought back then that I would never see the day that I would be a LV owner......fast forward 7 years and I have over 20 LV items :love::blush:
WillstarveforLV, your name is a hoot!! Either you ran into some money along the way or you are one skinny chick with over 20 LV items!:lol:

Isabellam,

Thanks for sharing this with us. That is so honest and sweet of you to tell us how you feel about the brand and identifying it with yourself. I am a big fan of everything that is beautiful and that itself is subjective. My first LV is a Tambour Diving watch which I got. The first time I saw it, I was love-struck. I would never imagine I would buy an LV cos it was everywhere and everywhere I see is flooded with LV logos. Besides, I have been to the various stores many times and nothing ever caught my eye, except for this particular watch.

It was stunning. But expensive.
I was lucky to be able to afford it but I treasure it because of its immaculate beauty.
5 years have passed and I have only gotten a LV Graphite Damier card holder which I have yet to use it.
My next wishlist is Graphite Damier 45 Keepall....

Purchasing luxury brands does make one feel special.
One, being able to afford it - no matter how that may come about and hard work means alot because you DESERVE it.
Two, pampering oneself is a MUST - that is my motto in keeping myself happy due to the stressful situations I deal at work.

Thanks once again for sharing with us.
Cheers.

The thread about selling/not selling one's first LV got me thinking about what exactly our first LV means to us. I don't yet have my first LV. I am saving my pennies and looking forward to the day I have my own, but to me, carrying an LV is a bold statement - especially the very recognizable monograms.

When I finally get my LV it will be my way of proclaiming (mostly to myself):

1. YES, I AM WORTH IT.

2. I am beautiful

3. I am not poor anymore

4. I am any woman's equal

5. My husband is successful

6. It is also a link to all things French, in my mind. I love the traditional French values and lifestyle.

I know that a lot of this is the product of LV's careful marketing and salesmanship. Writing it all out, I feel kind of stupid. But, ya know what? It doesn't matter to me. Actually, I think this is a happy coincidence of LV's image matching my new image of myself. I guess I don't feel so dumb after all!

I have read here that some of you grew up with mothers who carried only LV or Gucci or such, and so getting your own is not really a big deal. But for me, I am completely breaking with the past to buy and carry such of a conspicuous bag. In a way, getting my LV will be a sort of Declaration of Independence for me. I am finally at the point where I want to define myself and my life. (I turned 40 this year, in case you can't tell!) I'm not hiding anymore!!!!

But I am really curious about how other people have come to the decision to buy and carry and LV. Was it a big deal for you? Did it mark a special time in your life? Carrying your first LV, how did it make you feel the first time you went out in public with it?

WillstarveforLV, your name is a hoot!! Either you ran into some money along the way or you are one skinny chick with over 20 LV items!:lol:

Ah thanks isabellam :biggrin:
I'm starving, husband is starving and our bank account is starving too :P
Good thing we have no pets or kids or they would be starving as well :nuts:
Enjoy and embrace the LV journey - and it sounds like it will be quite a special one for and you will have no regrets and will feel all of those great things that you have listed in your post. :yahoo:

Ah thanks isabellam :biggrin:
I'm starving, husband is starving and our bank account is starving too :P
Good thing we have no pets or kids or they would be starving as well :nuts:
Enjoy and embrace the LV journey - and it sounds like it will be quite a special one for and you will have no regrets and will feel all of those great things that you have listed in your post. :yahoo:
____:biggrin:
I love this one. I gave up cofee and nightlife for LV. I'll be an old maid with lots of LV's.:P

I got my first ever LV (a mono speedy 25) about a week ago. To be honest, I was never really interested in LV, especially the monogram because I had felt that it had been overdone. Everyone has one.. ect. Then, I stumbled upon a black and white picture of Audry Hepburn carrying a speedy, and thought NO WAY! I had no idea LV had been around for that long.

I then delved into reasearch, only to find that LV house has been around for over 100 years and is synonymous with CRAFTMANSHIP and durability and because of that, evolved into a luxury brand.

To me, owning a peice of LV, I can identify with over 100 years of the amazing brand and be a part of fashion history. It's more about that for me than a status symbol. Although that is nice too ;)

I am equally in LVOE :smile: with the story of Louis Vuitton and it's history as I am with my mono speedy 25. :hugs:

I am a newbie to this brand and can't wait to learn and purchase more!!

ongrats outtacontrol,, great bag!!..

i remember i got LV in my mind, after I was introduced to my sister in law for the first time, she was carrying this LV and she kept looking down at me just because I was carrying a $20 dlls. purse (I know, i was a poor college student back then, and she is like 13 yrs older than me). My BF kept saying how she only buys the nicest things, bla bla bla everytime she talked about her. Until I asked him to stop, I didnt like her for how she tretaed me the first time she saw me, now 3 yrs later I have a better job than she does and Im the one carrying the good stuff. :smile:.. but i still dont like her.. lol :shame:

The thread about selling/not selling one's first LV got me thinking about what exactly our first LV means to us. I don't yet have my first LV. I am saving my pennies and looking forward to the day I have my own, but to me, carrying an LV is a bold statement - especially the very recognizable monograms.

When I finally get my LV it will be my way of proclaiming (mostly to myself):

1. YES, I AM WORTH IT.

2. I am beautiful

3. I am not poor anymore

4. I am any woman's equal

5. My husband is successful

6. It is also a link to all things French, in my mind. I love the traditional French values and lifestyle.

I know that a lot of this is the product of LV's careful marketing and salesmanship. Writing it all out, I feel kind of stupid. But, ya know what? It doesn't matter to me. Actually, I think this is a happy coincidence of LV's image matching my new image of myself. I guess I don't feel so dumb after all!

I have read here that some of you grew up with mothers who carried only LV or Gucci or such, and so getting your own is not really a big deal. But for me, I am completely breaking with the past to buy and carry such of a conspicuous bag. In a way, getting my LV will be a sort of Declaration of Independence for me. I am finally at the point where I want to define myself and my life. (I turned 40 this year, in case you can't tell!) I'm not hiding anymore!!!!

But I am really curious about how other people have come to the decision to buy and carry and LV. Was it a big deal for you? Did it mark a special time in your life? Carrying your first LV, how did it make you feel the first time you went out in public with it?

isabellam, I'm certain you were worth it, beautiful and equal to all women before your LV!

I get where you're coming from--my mom wouldn't know LV or Chanel if I smacked her over the head with them, and DH and I had NO money when we first started our lives together. And I recently turned 40, too!!

It was a HUGE deal for DH to buy me my first LV--since I was in college, I have always just loved the pattern and style of the bags. Unlike many women on here, I cannot just go out and purchase them at will. I treasure all of them, and have since bought a few with my own money.

All that said, I sincerely hope your confidence isn't coming from the fact that you can now afford material luxuries, because having money to spend shouldn't equal your self-worth or happiness. You sound like a truly nice person, so I hope it's coming from inside you, KWIM?

Just my .02. Anyway, enjoy your new bag, and can we see pics????:graucho:

I have always liked LV bags since my 20's but never thought that I should or deserved to buy such expensive things for myself. After careful consideration, I finally took the plunge when I was forty-one.

When I purchase my first LV bag ( which was a josephine pm mini monogram) I felt that I accomplished my gold. I sacrifice and saved for months for this bag. I thought I deserved it because I work so hard through working, going to school and raising my son by my self. Momma have to treat herself sometimes.

to me- it meant i had a REAL job...because now i could finally afford one on my own. i didnt have to answer to anyone about the purchase and to this day i still don't tell people how much they are. only fanatics (who know the name/type of bag) know how much it really cost. everybody else just thinks you paid too much for a purse.

it was a big deal when i bought my first LV. i worked hard for it and what it meant to me was my long shifts waitressing was well worth it.

BUT, i eventually changed my mind and sold it on ebay. :tdown: i totally regret doing it. it was my first one that i ever bought. i wish i had kept it for sentimental values. It was a damier papillion. :cry:

i remember, my mom thought i was prostituting or selling drugs to afford it. Like the thought process didn't function in her head that a 18 year old KNEW how to save money!

my second one, I still have but wish I had been smarter on choosing. It was a white multicolor. It is just sooo dated and a trendy item. I wish I had chosen something classic. When I bought it, I bought it in a set with other items. (i got the pochette, a mirror, wallet, and keychain to make the strap longer).

it didn't mean as much to me as the 2nd one did, although I spent way more money on my 2nd purchase than the 1st one.

isabellam, I'm certain you were worth it, beautiful and equal to all women before your LV!

All that said, I sincerely hope your confidence isn't coming from the fact that you can now afford material luxuries, because having money to spend shouldn't equal your self-worth or happiness. You sound like a truly nice person, so I hope it's coming from inside you, KWIM?

Just my .02. Anyway, enjoy your new bag, and can we see pics????:graucho:

You're so sweet, miss banff! Thanks for your concern, but no, buying an LV doesn't mean that now I'm worth something. For me, buying an LV means that darnit, I am worth A LOT, and I'm gonna get something to remind myself (and anyone else who might need it) of that fact. I've unfortunately operated under the fashion principle of invisibility i.e. "Be Invisible. It is good to be Invisible." Not any more!!!!!!!!!! Mwwaaaa haaa haaa.

I won't have any pics for awhile. Still saving...

You're so sweet, miss banff! Thanks for your concern, but no, buying an LV doesn't mean that now I'm worth something. For me, buying an LV means that darnit, I am worth A LOT, and I'm gonna get something to remind myself (and anyone else who might need it) of that fact. I've unfortunately operated under the fashion principle of invisibility i.e. "Be Invisible. It is good to be Invisible." Not any more!!!!!!!!!! Mwwaaaa haaa haaa.

I won't have any pics for awhile. Still saving...

Aahhhh, gotcha. Which bag are you saving for?:graucho: