Crossing the Line. PurseBlog Talks "Similar" Bags

PBinsider

Purse Blog Insider
May 9, 2013
This comes up a lot on the PurseBlog, particularly in the Comments.

Megs takes on the topic of inspired bags in this editorial, which is getting a lot of traction in the comments section.

What are your thoughts. And do you have a particular "inspired bag" that grates on your nerves. Or, are you on the fence or supportive of the inepired bag trend.

Join in the conversastion here, or there. Here is a comparison to get you started.

Michael-Kors-Mansur-Gavriel.jpg

Inspired styles do not get on my nerves as much as those that are too close or try to copy exactly. There are lots of brands with structured satchels that are like the Birkin in shape and size. But when another brand tries to copy that signature Birkin flap/strap/lock combo, I am out.

To me it depends on the intention and the economics. There's a common design vocabulary for bags: drawstring, two-handled squarish tote, mailbag type, etc. No design house can lay claim to that form. But they certainly invest boatloads of time and money on their particular takes on these basic forms, with proportions and materials and embellishments that create the Hermes, Vuitton, Mulberry, etc versions.

When a bag clearly is capitalizing on a high-end house's successful interpretation, it can sure seem predatory and also lazy. Over time, companies make clear whether they lead in design or follow, and consumers decide which to patronize.

Last edited:
I think this is more than an inspired bag-it is the Mansur design but with some details that would be great for the bag-they added an outside back pocket as well as inside. Yes, the bucket is a basic design, but it is apparent who MK wants this bag to resemble. It is a pre order on the Nordstrom website for $795.

I think this is more than an inspired bag-it is the Mansur design but with some details that would be great for the bag-they added an outside back pocket as well as inside.

Not really. Hermes and Vuitton both had a bag with this design decades before MG existed. This in fact confirms my earlier comment about ubiquitous styles with variant interpretations.

Not really. Hermes and Vuitton both had a bag with this design decades before MG existed. This in fact confirms my earlier comment about ubiquitous styles with variant interpretations.

I agree that the bucket style is ubiquitous and I know Mansure wasn't the first to offer it. But the Michael Kors looks so very similar-and they copy so often. I can't even bring myself to look at anything MK-I have no respect for the brand. It's interesting that this bag was released on the heels of the MG bag. It is quite similar in size and structure too. I'm surprised though that it's more expensive. At least they did't copy the interior color offerings.

Kenneth Cole also released a very similar looking bag but it's closer in size to the mini bucket. It's price point is much more appealing at $200 for those who want the look and not the price.

But but but... everyone has a bucket bag. Mansur Gavriel doesn't own buckets. Or blue.

I think inspired bags are totally fine. That's how fashion evolves. Hermes didn't come up with the fold top on a structured satchel, Kate Spade didn't originate the decorative bow... I see people discussing how "LV came up with the original bucket bag" in the article comments, and then I look down at my vintage Dooney & Bourke bucket bag and think "Nope."

TBH, consumers of / adherents to luxury fashion houses are too apt to assume that their brands are trend-setters and others copycats. In truth the top brands, too, glom on to trends in fashion that indie and street style inspire. It's not until everyone and their mother had a collection of fabric totes for shopping/grocery/avoiding plastic bags that the whole high-fashion canvas tote thing happened. And I'm pretty sure the current vintage revival, with women picking up men's briefcases and old simple structured bags (including no-name bags) from the 60s/70s, has a great deal to do with the luxury houses re-embracing clean lines and tossing out the buckles, fringes, tassels, pockets, etc of the 00s.

Last edited:
Gee,here where i live (somewhere in the S.A) there are luxury local brands selling very pricey inspired bags.Funny thing is : i know girls who will pay as much as half a minimum wage for a fake of those inspired bags :smile:

But but but... everyone has a bucket bag. Mansur Gavriel doesn't own buckets. Or blue.

I think inspired bags are totally fine. That's how fashion evolves. Hermes didn't come up with the fold top on a structured satchel, Kate Spade didn't originate the decorative bow... I see people discussing how "LV came up with the original bucket bag" in the article comments, and then I look down at my vintage Dooney & Bourke bucket bag and think "Nope."

TBH, consumers of / adherents to luxury fashion houses are too apt to assume that their brands are trend-setters and others copycats. In truth the top brands, too, glom on to trends in fashion that indie and street style inspire. It's not until everyone and their mother had a collection of fabric totes for shopping/grocery/avoiding plastic bags that the whole high-fashion canvas tote thing happened. And I'm pretty sure the current vintage revival, with women picking up men's briefcases and old simple structured bags (including no-name bags) from the 60s/70s, has a great deal to do with the luxury houses re-embracing clean lines and tossing out the buckles, fringes, tassels, pockets, etc of the 00s.

Yes. After seeing the 600.00 MG bags & not wanting to pay that much, nor wait, I got a hardware free 1990s coach bucket. The purchase was definitely inspired by MG, but the bag surely wasn't

This comes up a lot on the PurseBlog, particularly in the Comments.

Megs takes on the topic of inspired bags in this editorial, which is getting a lot of traction in the comments section.

What are your thoughts. And do you have a particular "inspired bag" that grates on your nerves. Or, are you on the fence or supportive of the inepired bag trend.

Join in the conversastion here, or there. Here is a comparison to get you started.

Michael-Kors-Mansur-Gavriel.jpg

What is the name of the bag on the left? I haven't seen it before. I've just seen the one with the MICHAEL KORS in gold across the front. Is this Michael Kors and not Michael by Michael Kors?

What is the name of the bag on the left? I haven't seen it before. I've just seen the one with the MICHAEL KORS in gold across the front. Is this Michael Kors and not Michael by Michael Kors?

The one on the left is from the Michael Kors resort collection--it's part of the Miranda collection.;)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-08 at 7.47.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-08 at 7.47.52 PM.png
    280.6 KB · Views: 202
  • Screen Shot 2014-11-09 at 8.11.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-09 at 8.11.41 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 225