Crossbody bags, flap vs zipper closure vs top handle

healthysaver

Nov 26, 2014
I'm shopping for a crossbody bag that looks good and somewhat structured but can't decide whether to get a flap top or zipper top style. Most semi structured bags have flap top and I'm wondering if the bag is practical.
For those who use crossbody bags with a flap top closure (with or without top handle), do you like it? When you open the top to get to wallets and such, do your contents fall out or do you have any issues?

remainsilly

bye-bye
Aug 15, 2014
All my crossbody bags have flaps.
I love flaps. Just the look & fun, flappity-feel.:heart:
Contents don't fall out. If bag is designed well.
Some of mine:
pacsafe--shown in kayak, Abel Tasman(NZ):
http://forum.purseblog.com/attachments/bark-bay-end-hike-_resized_1-jpg.3497116/
campomaggi--in current use
http://forum.purseblog.com/attachments/campomaggi-holidays_resized-jpg.3540319/
mulberry bayswater clutch wallet(own 2, different colors)
http://forum.purseblog.com/attachments/dog-approved-pink-fest-jpg.3144643/

Hope helps.

Amazona

Crazy bird lady
Mar 31, 2013
Finland
I used to hate flap bags. And I mean, really intensely hate them because I thought they were fussy and impractical.
Then, a while back, I tried RM Love and Longchamp Quadri Crossbody - found that I love them both. Love is reeeeaally structured, but the LC is a bit softer. They both have a flap that doesn't bend or fold so they don't drive me insane. Now, I just hate bags with flaps so soft they fold. :biggrin: I don't want anything to get in the way when I try and dig into my bag.

kbell

O.G.
Aug 20, 2007
Live free or die
Almost all my bags are crossbody & my work bags are all pretty structured. I have zip top, partial open top, messenger which has a flap (no top handle though). On my flap messenger - the flap never bothered me but there's a big slip pocket on the back & a zip pocket on the flap to access things quickly... it's not really structured though but if I were going for a structured flap top I'd want a slip pocket at least. I have a semi structured shoulder flap that's never given me issues but that also has a back slip pocket & side pocket. There's plenty of semi structured/structured crossbodies that aren't flap top too. Good luck!

papertiger

MOD
Authenticator
O.G.
May 23, 2009
G-orgeous H-eaven
I usually prefer the look of a flap and don't like the look of an 'exposed' zip on bigger bags but don't mind smaller cross-bodies with zips if camera bag shape (like the Gucci Soho Disco or Marmont).

anthrosphere

Fringes, Studs, Leather & Rock N' Roll.
Apr 16, 2012
2 of my etsy bags are floppy and have a flap closure. I love them both but because the bag has no structure I always find myself having to straighten the flap (and the fringes which is attached to the flap). It's annoying but I gotten used to it.

I had a Coach fringe Chelsea with a zipper closure and it's so handy. Just zip it up and go. No need to straighten out a floppy flap.

ame

O.G.
Mar 22, 2007
I prefer zip but I think it just depends on the bag. I currently carry MZ Wallace bags and all of those have zips.

BlueCherry

Jan 29, 2015
England
I have both zip and flap mini crossbody bags and like both. However when I wear the bag with the flap and get into my car with it still on, tiny items sometimes fall out the gaps at the sides where they meet the flap.

applecidered

Jan 19, 2014
Texas
I would prefer a zip for my crossbodies. A flap is still secure, but having to hold the flap against your body while rummaging for your stuff is a hassle for me personally. I have crossbodies in both types, but a zip is easier for me imo.

seahorseinstripes

bag greed bug
O.G.
Jun 4, 2006
summer land
www.bagcrazeblog.com
most of my cross body bags are with zipper, and some also come with top handle. i just like to have bags with top handle that also can be worn as cross body
i do have one cross body with flap which is an LV from men's collection that i love but don't use much because it's just not that practical to me.
if it a flap i do prefer to have an outer zipper pocket to put phone for easy access