Crossbody and Saddle-Style Bag Recommendations

Sep 2, 2013
Hi, Everyone:

I would like to get recommendations on a crossbody and/or saddle-style bag.

Here are the features I'm looking for (but since I don't even know if such a bag exist, I'm willing to consider a bag that fits MOST of my requirements): [emoji4]

- sturdy
- leather (or nylon)
- top zip (or some other kind of secure closure)
- multiple compartments
- made in Italy or France (or materials are from Italy)
- designer or contemporary
- not heavy
- hardware can be gold or silver tone
- can fit a full-size wallet

I'm really liking the Gucci Disco and the LV Pochette Metis. I know. I know. Neither bag checks off all my "wants." I need a bigger style than the Disco. And the PM seems to be having some major quality issues.

As you can tell, I'm very open to your recommendations!

Thank you!

My Gucci Jackie Soft Shoulder Bag is my favorite crossbody bag, although it only works as a crossbody if you are on the shorter side. I'm 5'4" and it is perfect on me. It's not being made any more, but can be found on eBay etc. Other options are the Celine Trotteur (compact and medium sizes), Lanvin's camera-style bag, which I think is a nice alternative to the Soho, and the Delvaux Simplissime. The Tom Ford Jennifer also comes to mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackGrayRed
My Gucci Jackie Soft Shoulder Bag is my favorite crossbody bag, although it only works as a crossbody if you are on the shorter side. I'm 5'4" and it is perfect on me. It's not being made any more, but can be found on eBay etc. Other options are the Celine Trotteur (compact and medium sizes), and Lanvin's camera-style bag, which I think is a nice alternative to the Soho. The Tom Ford Jennifer also comes to mind.

Thank you for the recommendations!

Check out the Fendi By the Way bag in the small size. Super versatile as it can be carried crossbody, on the shoulder, or by hand. Not heavy. It's a little bigger than the Gucci Disco, and is deceptive in how much it can hold relative to its size. The inside has two main interior compartments with a center zipper compartment, and two cell phone sleeves. Mine will fit my continental wallet, tablet, e-reader, two phones, box of mints, packet of tissues, lip balm, sunglasses, and passport when completely filled up.

Check out the Fendi By the Way bag in the small size. Super versatile as it can be carried crossbody, on the shoulder, or by hand. Not heavy. It's a little bigger than the Gucci Disco, and is deceptive in how much it can hold relative to its size. The inside has two main interior compartments with a center zipper compartment, and two cell phone sleeves. Mine will fit my continental wallet, tablet, e-reader, two phones, box of mints, packet of tissues, lip balm, sunglasses, and passport when completely filled up.

Thanks for the recommendation!
I'll look into it.

I love my small Loewe puzzle bag. It's light, unique, five ways to wear, great quality, but it doesn't fit your criteria of where it's made-which is Spain. A lot of people complain about the small zipper opening, but I like it because it's harder to pick pocket and I have very small hands. I also love the fact that it's still a bit under the radar depending on where you are in the world. I know that it's a very popular bag in Japan and Hong Kong. Check out the "medium" size (a bit larger opening and space inside).

Another bag to consider is the Fendi By the Way in small. I just bought it a week ago and love it's versatility. You can wear it three ways. I love the fact that there is a middle zipper compartment inside the bag. You normally only see that in totes or hand held bags. The quality is impeccable for the price point and I think it's a classic shape.

Would be curious of what you end up with. Keep us updated :smile:

Reactions: BlackGrayRed
I love my small Loewe puzzle bag. It's light, unique, five ways to wear, great quality, but it doesn't fit your criteria of where it's made-which is Spain. A lot of people complain about the small zipper opening, but I like it because it's harder to pick pocket and I have very small hands. I also love the fact that it's still a bit under the radar depending on where you are in the world. I know that it's a very popular bag in Japan and Hong Kong. Check out the "medium" size (a bit larger opening and space inside).

Another bag to consider is the Fendi By the Way in small. I just bought it a week ago and love it's versatility. You can wear it three ways. I love the fact that there is a middle zipper compartment inside the bag. You normally only see that in totes or hand held bags. The quality is impeccable for the price point and I think it's a classic shape.

Would be curious of what you end up with. Keep us updated :smile:

Thank you for the recommendations and the reviews!
I really appreciate everyone's input so far.

[emoji5]