Cross Body Versus Shoulder Hang

gratytude

Oct 23, 2005
Recently, I have heard that bags that are worn cross body look tired. The "new" way for a longer strapped bag is to let it hang straight from the shoulder to the hip. Any thoughts? Personally, I love carrying a bag cross body, yet I usually buy a bag that can be convertible...handheld to cross body. Love your thoughts on this!

I like carrying the bags over my shoulder, but sometimes when I am trying to do something they fall off or get in the way, so I switch them to crossbody.

When I am just walking normally, I usually carry the bag over the shoulder.

I've never heard of wearing bags crossbody being "tired", and the practicality can't be beat. I have both hands free, I can get things out of my bag with one hand if necessary, and it doesn't slip off if I need to look into it. I wish all bags had an adjustable strap option.

Considering how expensive some bags can be, I can't help to think how easy it would be for someone to snatch it off the shoulder. The few times I'm in a rush, my bag will go briefly on the shoulder, but the second I have a moment, I switch to crossbody. I have never owned, and don't see my self getting, a top handle bag.

Keep in mind that I get around a big city using public transport, so that heavily influences how I wear a bag. For me, function will always come ahead of form.

I prefer crossbody from a practicality standpoint. Bags constantly slip off my shoulders, so it's crossbody, in the crook of my arm, or handheld for me. I think it's all about what works for the individual.

Recently, I have heard that bags that are worn cross body look tired. The "new" way for a longer strapped bag is to let it hang straight from the shoulder to the hip. Any thoughts? Personally, I love carrying a bag cross body, yet I usually buy a bag that can be convertible...handheld to cross body. Love your thoughts on this!

Call me crazy but I totally get that. I have a lot of little crossbody bags and I tend to wear them straight from shoulder to hip, unless I'm going from place to place. Sometimes I don't like to look like I'm "on the go" and prefer to wear my bags this way. In my mind it changes the way your outfit looks. (I might be totally imagining things though hahaha since no one else notices! :P)

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1388364340.920479.jpg
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1388364376.970595.jpg

Call me crazy but I totally get that. I have a lot of little crossbody bags and I tend to wear them straight from shoulder to hip, unless I'm going from place to place. Sometimes I don't like to look like I'm "on the go" and prefer to wear my bags this way. In my mind it changes the way your outfit looks. (I might be totally imagining things though hahaha since no one else notices! :P)

View attachment 2444703
View attachment 2444704
Great thread and reply.

I wanted to love (and rock) crossbody for a long time, but I'm a shoulder bag girl. I have a lovely crossbody for travel (mostly), but I almost always carry my bags in the crook of my arm or on my shoulder. In my mind, the shoulder look is more ladylike and formal than the crossbody, which is more casual and (sometimes) active/tomboyish. And this isn't to say crossbody can't be sexy or great-looking! I think it can definitely be both, but it doesn't really suit me about 80% of the time.

I think it depends on what suits you.

View attachment 2444703
View attachment 2444704

Anasa, I totally get what you're saying -- I do think the look is quite different. What is the black bag in the lower pics, if you don't mind my asking? It looks like a great bag.

To answer the question, I do both shoulder and cross-body, but living in a city and using a lot of public transportation, the cross-body function just can't be beat. I do have some top-handle bags, but all of them have a strap. Lately, I find myself insisting that the strap be long enough to be worn cross-body, even if I don't always wear it that way. I really need the option. I also have a dog, and wearing a bag cross-body while having him with me makes handling the leash (and picking him up if I need to) a lot easier.

I don't think cross-body bags will ever be "out" because they are just too practical.

Crossbody all the way! It's a lot more practical for my lifestyle being active with work and toddler. Plus, I am petite flat chested and not so tall so crossbody looks the most flattering on me whereas shoulder hang usually hang too low (even with the shortest adjustable option on strap) and extremely inconvenient. Fashionwise I am quite casual and tomboyish so crossbody works best unless it's a tote bag :smile:

Thanks! I'm super visual so I thought pics would help explain. 😁
Great thread and reply.

I wanted to love (and rock) crossbody for a long time, but I'm a shoulder bag girl. I have a lovely crossbody for travel (mostly), but I almost always carry my bags in the crook of my arm or on my shoulder. In my mind, the shoulder look is more ladylike and formal than the crossbody, which is more casual and (sometimes) active/tomboyish. And this isn't to say crossbody can't be sexy or great-looking! I think it can definitely be both, but it doesn't really suit me about 80% of the time.

I think it depends on what suits you.

It's the Phillip Lim for Target top handle bag. I've had to repair it so many times (magnetic strip fell off, screws were loose) but I love it anyway! Here's another picture.

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1388454884.065813.jpg
Anasa, I totally get what you're saying -- I do think the look is quite different. What is the black bag in the lower pics, if you don't mind my asking? It looks like a great bag.

To answer the question, I do both shoulder and cross-body, but living in a city and using a lot of public transportation, the cross-body function just can't be beat. I do have some top-handle bags, but all of them have a strap. Lately, I find myself insisting that the strap be long enough to be worn cross-body, even if I don't always wear it that way. I really need the option. I also have a dog, and wearing a bag cross-body while having him with me makes handling the leash (and picking him up if I need to) a lot easier.

I don't think cross-body bags will ever be "out" because they are just too practical.

I wear my crossbodies like OP. They can get very heavy if I load them to full. So I try to bring just the bare minimum essentials.