Crocodile Bag...feel funny wearing one in this economy?

JMO but since the OP is talking about purchasing a bag I think if you can afford it, and really want it, you should go for it. Think of all the people (not just Hermes) who profit from people buying these items. People are employed (SAs, craftspeople, etc.) and they in turn spend money at other businesses. The taxes on these bags are considerable and they in part go toward helping those in need. So I see it as a win-win. If people who have the means stop spending and companies have to let people go that doesn't really help anyone.
That's true crochetbella or maybe I should wait until the economy turns around, but I might be too old to carry one.

You know what? Think positive. Our economy will eventually turn around and these are forever bags! Get the bag that makes your heart skip a beat, that's what counts!

LOL!!!! No, you need a bigger bag than my 25cm, LH.........I was just saying that I'd feel uncomfortable with a bigger bag anyway, bad economy or not, but that's just me, KWIM? I LOVE the idea of a Croc Plume though.....I'd chuck a lung for a sweet Croc Plume elan!!!!!!!!!!

I just came back from having dinner with my cousin who is visiting from Hawaii tonight and she asked me about my Chanel bag I was carrying. It was about $1700 when I bought it and she was falling out over that so I can't imagine if we started talking Hermes pricing let alone that I just got my first croc! She did say, hey you work hard and invest and do all the right things also and deserve it so hey do what you like and enjoy. I have to say I have yet to find a place I'd feel comfortable carrying it yet....well I could have taken it out to dinner to night which was a nice restaurant by the waterfront....but I am still waiting for the right occasion.

It's funny you've brought up this dilly of a pickle. I've always known I'd feel uncomfortable carrying a big-o croc birkin no matter where I am. I love croc though! So I got a black shiny niloticus pochette. It's tiny and not in-your-face. Problem solved. Although I've had her for 1 week, I've yet to take her out. :shrugs:

Good or bad economy, you need to do what feels comfortable to you. I used my croc tonight and loved every second! Enjoy your items to the fullest. I think flashy jewelry is much more noticed than handbags so that is where I am more cautious.

I don't think anyone should ever be made to feel bad about their possessions, no matter what state the economy is in. I wear my Birkins wherever I feel safe to wear them, and if someone feels bad because of it, that's their problem, not mine. I often see people with things I can't afford (jewellery, cars, etc.) and I will continue to see these things, and it's something I have to accept. It's something virtually everyone has to accept-- there will always be someone with more, and someone with less, no matter how much or little you have.

I think the only real concern is safety; there are lots of places (both here at home and abroad) where I wouldn't dream of carrying an H-bag because I would be afraid of something happening. You always need to be aware of both your personal safety, and the safety of your items-- even if they are insured, sometimes H bags can be a pain in the ass to replace! That said, I find that in the majority of places, no one even looks twice at my Birkins, especially the black one. We here on the forum are so keenly attuned to anything H that we can spot an H bag or a fake at fifty paces, and it may have rubbed off on our SOs and good friends, but the "real world", in general, has no clue what you're carrying or how much it's worth!

stimulate the economy! :smile: but do be careful...if the bag is large and a bit flash you might attract the wrong attention. the prices keep going up so now might be a good time to get one!

Until Bentleys, Baby Benz and BMWs stop running around on the street, it is not funny to wear croc Hs

In term of safety, it is always funny to wear Hs in the wrong neighbourhood anyway

i think it does depend on how comfortable you feel and where you live.

before i joined tPF, there's no way i'd've been able to recognize any designs except the ones with labels plastered all over them, let alone tell a real one from a fake one.... and identifying a birkin or kelly or other H item was over my head.

i had no idea that a purse could cost more than my car. LOL

"Those who matter to you won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter."

No one knows if your birkin is new or old. Most do not even know if it is real or fake. If you already have it, wear it. Don't wait out the economic crisis just to use something you already own and love.

Of course this all depends on the where, when, and appropriateness of the situation as well. Don't wear it to visit a friend of yours who just got laid off at work! :P

And if you have the means to buy one, the desire to buy one, and little to no possibility of being laid off at work yourself, then why not? Your life should not be on hold just to curtail the negative opinions of others.

BUT... if you feel that you can bail out that said laid off friend with the funds you're using to buy that coveted Birkin then it really is your call.

C'est la vie! Do what you think is right and what will make you happy. Ultimately, that's all anyone of us can do.

Definitely agree with what most have said here! If you can afford it, there is nothing wrong with getting a Birkin and carrying one even in a bad economy. People do work hard for their money and if they manage to still make enough money during a bad economy, of course they would deserve to be able to spend it!

Just like every one said, have to be careful not to catch the wrong attention in the wrong neighbourhood, that's all..