croc?

May 6, 2007
I am contemplating a croc SO. Is matter croc croc or is it really alligator? What is usually made of alligator verses croc? Is alligator less expensive? I would like matte but not sure if it matters whether its croc or gator. thoughts?

did you try using the reference library!?!
I don't meet w/ my SA next Tue/Wed since I'm also thinking of SO matte croc.
Will share what I find out w/ you later.;)

Last edited:
Hermesaholic I think it depends. I know that Perlerare said that she had SO ordered matte nilo croc and it came as alligator. I know that they still are producing croc bags but only for SO. Alligator is less spendy but I think you would have to ask you SM to be 100% sure about what skin you will get. Also would it depend on when the SO gets accepted in paris? I hope Perlerare can explain why her bag came in alligator instead of croc. I hope this helps!!:flowers:

Also I think it would depend on the color for me. I saw a lighter colored alligator and did not like it at all compared to say a black alligator. I think it depends on the scales! So:graucho:what are thinking about!!!

Last edited:
Hermesaholic I think it depends. I know that Perlerare said that she had SO ordered matte nilo croc and it came as alligator. I know that they still are producing croc bags but only for SO. Alligator is less spendy but I think you would have to ask you SM to be 100% sure about what skin you will get. Also would it depend on when the SO gets accepted in paris? I hope Perlerare can explain why her bag came in alligator instead of croc. I hope this helps!!:flowers:

Also I think it would depend on the color for me. I saw a lighter colored alligator and did not like it at all compared to say a black alligator. I think it depends on the scales! So:graucho:what are thinking about!!!

i was thinking of a matte black 35 birkin or 35 kelly :biggrin:

Most of the newer colors (eg CIEL, rouge indienne, pelouse) in matte, are mostly done in alligator for birkins. Porosus is still around but mostly in shiny (orange, braise, etc). hoping that our croc expert Lilach will see this thread and give you the definitive answer.

As mentionned before, I had two SO comming in matte Alligator instead of Matte Niloticus.
I have no idea why they did this , I can only assume it is matter of availablity of the skins, and a matter of profit on the final price as well.... I do not see any other reason for Hermes switching so widely to gator especially when I read somewhere that they actually bought a gator farm lately....

Quite frankly I was a bit annoyed about my SO bags, but the bags looked so good that I did not refuse them..
I can ony tell, from my own experience, that the new Alligator they have been using for the current matte bags (not only mine, but tose I happen to see in stores those days...) is much better looking than Alligator from only two years ago.
The scales are definitely nicer. I could not expalin how it is possible.

I would not decline a bag just because it is Alligator. I have found Alligator beeing very similar, and somehow close to Porosus as far as scale pattern is concerned. As for the way it takes colors, it really depends on what color. The light colors as Ciel, Poussiere etc look really nice. Black too of course.
In shiny Alligator I just saw a fabulous Mini Kelly in Black that looked like Poro. Another one in Blue brighton that was so beautiful... looked like pale lavander....

I guess this is a deep trend at Hermes to offer more and more Alligator, and my personnal feeling is that they are comming to a new standard with Alligator. And that is going to be the highest.

My 0.02.

I saw a matte fauve birkin at my store that I thought was croc. Kat saw it too and told me it was alligator.

It looked almost croc since the scales towards the center are smaller than the alligators I used to see, i.e. tiny scales at the sides, BIG scales at the center.

Perhaps H is trying to pick nicely scaled alligators as well, like perlerare said.