Crisis! International move and my louis collection.

rorenchan

O.G.
Jan 22, 2010
Imagine for a second that you are moving internationally, and you have to carry your entire collection with you on the plane.

What would you do if shipping the excess was not an option?

In about a year I will be moving from the USA to Japan, and this is exactly my dilemma.
I have two options:
1. Downsizing my collection to meet customs regulations
2. Take it all with me and hope I don't get smacked with a huge fine and red flag.

I really don't want to pay to travel with my bags, but I also don't want to lose anything from my collection. It's put me in a bit of a depressed mood thinking about it lately. Any advice is more than welcome. I'm also feeling a little bummed because I was planning on getting a matching mon mono keepall and pegase set, but now that seems like the worst idea no matter how much I long for them.

My collection currently consists of:

Neo Cabby MM
Ambre Cabas Beach Tote
Batignolles Horizontal
Thames PM - mono
Montosouris MM
Sarah Wallet - mono
Zippy Coin Purse - amarante
Mini Pochette Acessoires - LE stamps mono
Milla Clutch MM - black multicolor
Ballerina flats - black mono denim

Plus I was/am planning on purchasing a few more pieces in the next year, such as a speedy, lumineuse, alma, zippy organizer, and if I can afford it a sunrise too. So I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Can you get the Pegase and Keepall, use them as your carry on, and fill them with your collection?

That was the original plan. Its not so much how to get everything on the plane, but moreso how to get past customs when I arrive.

After reading the other thread about the member who got harassed at the airport for just a few minor pieces she got on holiday, I'm a bit nervous now too.

Wow that would make me nervous. There's no way to ship them like fed ex or UPS or anything? Forgive me I have never moved out of the states or anything so I am not sure what the procedure would be. But it seems like when you move you should be able to take your possessions with you without harrassment or fees or anything like that since you own them and are just moving them with you.

I actually think the best way to solve this problem (this is something I'm going to do when I move back to Asia from USA) is to ship it all back in big boxes together with your other belongings. Make sure you have them insured and let the movers do the job.

You can claim insurance if they're damaged or lost. Carry one or two pieces with you that you simply can't do without and ship the rest. I know shipping might not be an option for you but I think this really is the best way. :idea:

Surely there are no rules against bringing your existing luxury goods into a country if you're moving there! If they won't allow you to import your collection that's absolutely ridiculous! I would contact the appropriate authorities to find out exactly what the regulations are, and as someone already said, you could ask your LV boutique to provide you with a printout of your purchase history, in case you're given any trouble at customs.

I'd hate to have to get rid of any of my things if I were moving, unless it was because I felt like I wanted to let them go.

I would pack them with the rest of the clothes, shoes, personal belongings. It will look like your own collection as opposed to you coming in with a bunch of designer goods you are trying to sell abroad.

Id say either get them shipped to you there OR just pack them throughout your clothes etc like beachy10 said, so they dont look like a huge lot of bags to sell lol

i feel for you! x but surely it is ok if you are moving there compared to a short holiday!

Thanks guys.
I hadn't thought about getting a print out of my purchase history. I will definitely do that.
I don't know if there is a limit on asset value that you can bring on a plane. I wonder if anyone has experience with that?