Creme de la Mer

IntlSet

Bonjour!
Jan 29, 2006
Okay, $195.00 for 2 ounces is nothing these days. I remember when it first came out it was the most expensive face cream on the market, but now it's easily beat by other brands.

However, I read yet another raving review (full article) on Creme de la Mer in this month's Shop Etc. magazine.

Shall I splurge on this? Have you tried it?

No - do not do it - at your age, my age, we don't need this level of slathering cream (don't believe the Gwenyth Paltrow hype).

Many of us who have tried it have had bad reactions to the very heavy ingredients in it. It took my face 2 months to get back to a semblance of normal after discontinuing use, and I am not the only one.

There are plenty of kick-ass products out there, this is really meant for mature, dry, skin.

I made a mistake of trying it. HATED IT!! Hello!?? Can I say grease ball? I don't think I ever looked so greasy when I woke up in the morning. I have senstivie, dry patchy skin w/breakout prone skin. Sisley creams worked much bette(doesn't feel greasy and absorbs right into your skin w/out any reactions) and right now I'm using Mario Badescu which is very affordable (price range is similar to Kiehls) and they've been working wonders on my skin.

NO! NO! NO! Don't do it! I've tried it, I used the entire line right down to the eye cream. I had a really bad reaction. I had these really tiny pink bumps all over my face within 2 weeks of use. I used it for a month straight and my face just got worse.
Don't try Dr. Perricone's skin care line either, I had the same reactions.

Oh wow! Yeah, I probably don't need this heavy a cream... my mom is a huge advocate of using wrinkle cream early... it's crazy how young she looks, she attributes it to the creams. Maybe it's good genes. Maybe she passed them onto me! *crossing fingers*

Wow, I am definitely in the minority here!...I love Creme de La Mer - I use it at night only, and I also use their Eye cream. And I cleanse with NV Perricone Nutritive Cleanser, and I use the ALA Face Firming Activator in the a.m. I do believe the Creme de La Mer would have been too rich for me when I was in my 20s though...also, my skin is not sensitive so maybe that's why it works for me :P

I agree. I do not believe there are any creams that will reduce existing wrinkles. I do believe that really good moisturizers benefit normal to dry skin...my skin is normal and although Creme de La Mer is pretty rich and heavy, it has worked well for me as a night cream..:biggrin:

This cream didn't work for me either. My DH gave me a set (that had the cleanser, cream, eye cream, etc.) for Christmas a couple of years ago. After using it, I just broke out ... I had more zits than when I was a teenager. You need to have dry skin for this cream since it is very rich and heavy.

Never used their creams but I am using the lip balm. It works very well for my lips. My lips dry easily and peel and I've tried a bajillion different lip balms. So far, this one is holding up really well.

Have Creme de la Mer in my cabinet always. Don't use it regularly but it is quite miraculous in it's abilities to heal --like after I have a blemish -- also heals burns -- my husband had to use Efudex all over his face for actinic keratosis -- the efudex is a kind of topical chemo -- kills the precancerous cells but leaves the skin terribly inflamed like the worst possible sunburn. Cortisone and all the other stuff he tried to calm it down didn't help, but the Creme de la Mer brought him instant relief. It truly is powerful stuff, but it is not an everyday emollient.

the moisturizing lotion is just like the creme de la mer but for normal skin. it's for those who find the original one too rich. haven't tried it though.

I've tried it and I didn't understand what the hype was all about, I'd say don't bother with it. I have sensitive skin, but I didnt experience any bumps or anything, I just felt kinda greasy.