cremation

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
sorry this is somewhat an unpleasant question but what do you do with the remains of your pets? I have three wooden boxes on my dresser. I feel kinda sad when I look at them. Do you keep them in their containers? Bury them in the yard or under a tree you plant?

I have 3 horses and 1 pony plus 6 dogs and 1 cat buried on my property. Burying horses reqiures a backhoe so more involved. I have a lot of land so not a problem. You could bury the boxes and have a memorial stone made. Personally, I couldn't look at the cremation boxes...too upsetting. I sold a house next door to me and the new owners are doing the same thing. They have 2 dogs, buried with memorial stones, near my beloved pets.

I have 3 horses and 1 pony plus 6 dogs and 1 cat buried on my property. Burying horses reqiures a backhoe so more involved. I have a lot of land so not a problem. You could bury the boxes and have a memorial stone made. Personally, I couldn't look at the cremation boxes...too upsetting. I sold a house next door to me and the new owners are doing the same thing. They have 2 dogs, buried with memorial stones, near my beloved pets.
Wow - do you have your own backhoe? I guess any way you would take care of a horse's remains would not be easy.

thanks....I'll think about the stone....don't know where I'd get one but we have boulders on our property....wonder if DH could make one

It doesn't exactly upset me seeing the boxes day to day but yestery I was dusting and had to handle them. Felt a bit sad. Good thing I don't dust often :smile:

Reactions: lulilu
This company offers nice memorial stones. Google and you can find many. My wonderful neighbor has a backhoe and works for NStar.
He always helps me out! One of the most upsetting things I've had to do in life :crybaby:

This company offers nice memorial stones. Google and you can find many. My wonderful neighbor has a backhoe and works for NStar.
He always helps me out! One of the most upsetting things I've had to do in life :crybaby:

thank you
yes, it is always upsetting lose an animal companion....and burying a horse would be a big deal

• Love
Reactions: skyqueen
I am wondering the same thing. It is a relatively recent dilemma. When I was a kid we would bury our cats and small dogs in the backyard but that wasn't possible for our large dogs. Back then vet offices would offer a service to have your pet cremated but you wouldn't get the ashes back. The cynic in me wonders whether they were truly cremated. :sad:

Since they return the ashes nowadays, I have two wooden boxes for my most recently deceased dogs. I keep them safe in a drawer but I don't see them every day. You could leave instructions to have the boxes buried with you when the time comes.

I am wondering the same thing. It is a relatively recent dilemma. When I was a kid we would bury our cats and small dogs in the backyard but that wasn't possible for our large dogs. Back then vet offices would offer a service to have your pet cremated but you wouldn't get the ashes back. The cynic in me wonders whether they were truly cremated. :sad:

Since they return the ashes nowadays, I have two wooden boxes for my most recently deceased dogs. I keep them safe in a drawer but I don't see them every day. You could leave instructions to have the boxes buried with you when the time comes.
I always wonder if those are really my cat's ashes. the vet I have now puts something (a tag? I forget what) on the animal so I guess if you opened the box you'd see it

I always wonder if those are really my cat's ashes. the vet I have now puts something (a tag? I forget what) on the animal so I guess if you opened the box you'd see it

It depends on the crematorium your vet uses. My vet assured me that the service they use does individual cremations and she trusted them for cremating her own pets. I know some other places do group cremations so it's a good idea to ask.

• Wow
It depends on the crematorium your vet uses. My vet assured me that the service they use does individual cremations and she trusted them for cremating her own pets. I know some other places do group cremations so it's a good idea to ask.
yes, I've been told in each case that its individual. but it's a box of ashes.....I was kinda skeptical in a way

guess I could put my three boxes in a drawer....they're on a tall dresser so I don't really notice them that much until I dust (which sadly I don't do that often)

Reactions: bag-mania
There are companies that turn the ashes into diamonds and rings - I haven't had a pet die in many years but that is something I'd consider if/when the time came. I'd feel good having my beloved pet(s) so close to me and memorialized in something other than an urn/box.