Credit card charged twice by merchant?

awong10

O.G.
Nov 30, 2006
I remember the day I made my purchase, the cashier had to swipe my card twice and reassured me that I would only be charged once. I have since returned that item and either they took the original receipt or I threw it away. I just checked my statement today before paying and lo and behold.. two transactions!!

It looks like I have to go back to the merchant first before filing a dispute with my credit card company. Thing is, I don't have any proof!! I will print out a copy of my statement, but what else can i do?

They'll have a record of the transactions and can probably pull them up by your credit card. If it's on the same day and for the exact same amount, I think the merchant will recognize that your card was charged twice.

The merchant AND your card should realize it was a mistake and fix it. Usually your card company will automatically spot things like this and look into remedying the situation.

Good luck to you!

Barney's charged me three times for a $1300 bag and it made my Visa (debit) card /bank account go into overdraft! (bounce fees). I finally got them to remove the two duplicate -- exact same price, almost exact same time, all three times-- charges by having to demand to speak to a manager. Then I made them reimburse me for the overdraft fees they caused.
Hope you can win this one. It seems like they would realize what happened. But if it was an unscrupulous cashier, how can you prove it if you threw away the receipt? One reason to NEVER throw away a receipt. Keep us posted and good luck..

This has happened to me at restaurants. Call the place where they charged and ask for a manager or bookkeeper. Then call your credit card. They'll recognize it was made twice or three times and will work with you.

The extra charges will drop off, don't worry. And in the event it was a overdraft, the credit/bank will work with you to refund that to you as well.

Don't worry, typically they swipe it more than once and the records will show the first time was a error (hence only one receipt printed) and the correction will be made. But call anyway...it'll all get squared away.

=)

call your credit card company and tell them what happened.I am sure they can see it was swiped within minutes of each other and credit you back. They may also request two signed receipt from the merchant to prove that it was supposed to be a double charge and when they do not have it, you will win and be credited back.

I had this happen to me at Anthropology. Except I was charged 4 times. After a number of calls to the cc company and the store, it was finally straightened out. But it was unpleasant since my story was met with incredulity. Grrrr.

The merchant should totally be able to confirm the transactions and provide proof of it. If Duane Reade, a place that is not known for CS, did it for me, this merchant can do it for you. And don't wait to alert your CC, I'd bring this to their attention immediately so at least its on record.

contact your credit card promptly.. they can see the time of the transaction

and should be able to rectify it for you and you should contact the store where

you made the purchase as well and discuss the duplicate charge...

This happened to me but at a restaurant. I called them up and they were able to reverse one of the transactions. A few days later the money was back in my account. It was a pretty easy process for me and I hope it's the same for you!

I would get in contact with the merchant first and see if they can address the issue.

If they won't budge, then get the credit card company involved.

Whatever you do, don't pay the credit card company until this is resolved. They are less likely to help when they already have your money.