Crease in Hermes Epsom leather

Hi everyone, I’m about to purchase my first Hermes Kelly through a reseller. However the bag comes with a crease. And it’s on the Epsom leather. Does anyone have experience getting rid of the crease? Or is it not possible to “iron” it out? I’ve attached a photo of the bag in question.

Any advice would be very much appreciated as I am just learning about all the ins and outs with Hermes products.

Thanks in advance.
It's a lot of money to spend on a possibly permanent crease :sad:

Another bag has been offered to me... it has a scratch, which to me doesn’t seem obvious. I’ve uploaded a photo. The scratch is rather long. This is also Epsom leather, Sellier. What do you guys think?

It seem less obvious than the crease, which I don’t mind except I have absolutely no experience with Hermès bags.

Also it is in a size 32, which I’m not sure if it’s too big. I’m a 5,4, but I’ve mostly carried smaller bags. Do you guys think a 32 is similar to 28? What are your preferences?

This bag has a 30 days refund so I’m tempted to just get it to see if it works with my lifestyle...
There's a thread on the kelly 32 size by someone who is also 5'4" here that may be of interest to you: https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/last-minute-panic-re-size-in-sellier-kelly-28-or-32.778848/

Epsom doesn't refurbish well and scratches can't be buffed off or patina'd away. However it is a leather that shines in colours and if you are a careful bag wearer it may be a good leather option. Personally I would never go for epsom in bigger bags because I am always bumping into things. Also the handfeel of epsom doesn't do it for me.

As for size I think 32 is fine. I am 5'2 and size 0/2 Fr 34 IT38 and 32s in both retourne and sellier work well for me.

Last edited:
There's a thread on the kelly 32 size by someone who is also 5'4" here that may be of interest to you: https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/last-minute-panic-re-size-in-sellier-kelly-28-or-32.778848/

Thanks for sharing the thread. I read through it and was able to have a better insight into the pros and cons of a 28 vs 32.

I’m also a Mum to a 18 month old so I’m talking myself into getting a 32, just so I have room to carry an extra diaper + wet wipes. Lol.

Also I have a couple of Chanel medium flaps.. so I guess a Kelly 28 is not much different in size, whereas a 32 is the next size up, and something different. Again, I’m weighing up the pros of a 32. Lol.

Epsom doesn't refurbish well and scratches can't be buffed off or patina'd away. However it is a leather that shines in colours and if you are a careful bag wearer it may be a good leather option. Personally I would never go for epsom in bigger bags because I am always bumping into things. Also the handfeel of epsom doesn't do it for me.

As for size I think 32 is fine. I am 5'2 and size 0/2 Fr 34 IT38 and 32s in both retourne and sellier work well for me.
Yes I’ve seen the corners rubbed off on the Epsom.. which is the only gripe I have about the leather. I’m pretty careful though.. so I think I’ll be able to look after it once it’s in my keeping.. but I’ll have to think twice with the scratch on that bag. Have consulted docride and will see what could be done with it before I decide.

I think you might want to take the time to learn about the different leathers and sizes. Epsom is a pressed leather and scratches are generally permanent, especially one that big/long. Even at resale these are not inexpensive so doing some research would help you make the best choice.
Thank you for your advice. I’m sleeping on it for a few days before I decide.

if the price was right it would not bother me actually. I would use it with abandon without having to worry about 'breaking it in'. it may also be worth asking Hermes (or our resident master aka docride if anything can be done to minimise it.
Thanks for recommending docride! I’ve read through a few of her posts and asked for her opinion on the bag as well. Learning so much in the last 2 days on this forum.