Crease in brand-new Picotin?

ABlovesH

O.G.
Feb 16, 2011
Hi ladies! I was at my local H boutique today & was presented with a Clemence Picotin bag that had a rather large crease in the leather that was causing the entire bag to lean to the side. It almost looked like the bag had been improperly stored (it was brought out from the back and wasn't in a box).

I was told that once I put things in the bag the crease would go away, but I don't know if I should believe this. I was a bit surprised to be shown a less-than perfect bag to be honest! But maybe this is normal with Clemence leather?? I don't own any bags in Clemence so I have nothing to compare it to.

This was the only Picotin they had, and since it was the Manhasset boutique they can't even call stores for another one. The Picotin bag is in my dream combo too!! What should I do? Was the SA correct that the crease will go away or should I forget about this bag? Thanks for your advice!

jmen

O.G.
Jan 15, 2007
If it is a crease, it will not go away. I speak from experience with a limited edition Chanel that I rescued. Long story short, a purse that looked like it had surfed the ocean was resurrected quite nicely sans the crease in the front panel.

All picotins fold like a puddle if they are clemence so that part is spot on true. The question is whether what you saw is a crease or a fold. If the leather is creased, leave it at the store.

That the SA would misread the conditon of the purse, I am stuck there, baffled, in fact. This is Hermes we're speaking. (I so want to end that sentence with a preposition but that would be a grammatical faux paus, but you get the idea.)

ABlovesH

O.G.
Feb 16, 2011
If it is a crease, it will not go away. I speak from experience with a limited edition Chanel that I rescued. Long story short, a purse that looked like it had surfed the ocean was resurrected quite nicely sans the crease in the front panel.

All picotins fold like a puddle if they are clemence so that part is spot on true. The question is whether what you saw is a crease or a fold. If the leather is creased, leave it at the store.

That the SA would misread the conditon of the purse, I am stuck there, baffled, in fact. This is Hermes we're speaking. (I so want to end that sentence with a preposition but that would be a grammatical faux paus, but you get the idea.)
When I think of a fold, I think of something that disappears when you move the bag another way-- this was always there, even when the bag was hanging from my arm with stuffing in it. No matter how I moved the bag, the crease was still there-- this doesnt sound like a fold, does it? The bag actually did stand up on it's own so the crease was pretty obvious. Like I'm not that familiar with Clemence, but the crease making the whole bag lean to one side just didn't look right to me.

heelsandhope

Oct 25, 2010
Here and there.
From my tiny little bit of experience I will say that Picotins seem fairly easy to come by so there's no need to jump at this one unless there was something special about it. I would wait and find one you're perfectly comfortable with or you might end up dissatisfied with your purchase in the long run. Good luck!

jmen

O.G.
Jan 15, 2007
When I think of a fold, I think of something that disappears when you move the bag another way-- this was always there, even when the bag was hanging from my arm with stuffing in it. No matter how I moved the bag, the crease was still there-- this doesnt sound like a fold, does it? The bag actually did stand up on it's own so the crease was pretty obvious. Like I'm not that familiar with Clemence, but the crease making the whole bag lean to one side just didn't look right to me.
Sad...sounds like a true crease and I would certainly have to pass. Too much money for a defect.