Crazy Waiter

PinkEms

Oct 22, 2007
I was just out with a friend to eat and had the worst waiter ever. He seemed like a huge stoner and I'd really like to know what planet he was on while "serving" us. So, when the bill came, I didn't tip him. I normally tip well, but this guy was just horrible. So, I pay in the front and leave with my friend. Then we walked to the parking lot. While we're getting in the car, he runs up to us and goes 'WHY DIDN'T YOU LEAVE A TIP?!" So, I'm locking my doors and getting ready to freakin drive off and he's screaming at us. I never had any thing like this happen before. I can't stop thinking about how nutty he was. When I dropped her off, my friend said he seemed like he was on drugs.

ugh... so unprofessional! I agree... call the restaurant and talk to the floor manager. They need to know that their staff is driving away customers.

DF and I had a cocktail waitress come & ask if her service "was not good enough" when were first starting to date... apparently she didn't look at her check very well to see that DF had left a 20% tip on his card and not the "0" her illiterate self thought. DF was so embarrassed that he gave her cash on the spot. As we were leaving, she had apparently looked at her ticket again & came to apologize....but didn't pony up the cash DF gave her. B*tch. We left...totally soured us on the place..which sucked bc it's where "the spark" for us happened. If we had a chance to do that over, DF says he would've asked for the manager & made a complaint.

I can't stand waithelp that solicit tips. (And yes, I've worked in a restaurant w/a tips-based income.) Sometimes they're awesome tips, sometimes not. Suck it up and be professional.

Thankfully in Australia tipping is not a way of life and is only paid if you feel that the service has been worthwhile tipping for. What is the point of tipping if it is expected regardless of how you are treated? I know that tips are how wait staff supplement their income but gee there has to be some guidelines.

I would have been absolutely furious and gone back and faced the Restaurant owner right then and there if I had been in your position (I know easy for me to say I wasn't there). But that was just unwarranted reaction on the waiters behalf and it doesn't deserve to be overlooked.

^^^As a waitress myself, I have to completely agree with you. I have been at the receiving end of people when they chose to not leave a tip, and I'll admit that does suck a lot. But in the end, for whatever reason they felt that I didn't do a good enough job to warrant a tip.

I consider myself a generous tipper, in fact it takes a lot to get me to not leave a tip. However the fastest way to do so if for a server to start expecting a tip.

But then again, the only time I have ever chased customers into the parking lot is when I had a table try to walk on a 100 bill. Then you better believe I was chasing them out to the parking lot!

I'd definitely call back the restaurant and speak with the manager. Or go back down in person. did you get your server's name? bring your friend as a witness, too.

Thankfully in Australia tipping is not a way of life and is only paid if you feel that the service has been worthwhile tipping for. What is the point of tipping if it is expected regardless of how you are treated? I know that tips are how wait staff supplement their income but gee there has to be some guidelines.

I would have been absolutely furious and gone back and faced the Restaurant owner right then and there if I had been in your position (I know easy for me to say I wasn't there). But that was just unwarranted reaction on the waiters behalf and it doesn't deserve to be overlooked.

I'm in Aussie too, but originally from Europe where you tip when you're happy with the service, though you tip more there than in Australia...

I find the whole system of waiters having to rely on a customers tipping for their income quite absurd..I'm sure you are so used to this in the States that it is rarely questioned, but why don't they give the waiters a fair wage and whatever they get in tip would be a little extra?...It's ridiculous to rely on customers being generous in order to pay your rent...

When we were in San Francisco a few years ago, the manager clocked us as tourist straight away (had the kids with us) and actually wrote down on the bill the amount he was expecting us to pay in tip...my husband went mad (he's from London and always tips), found it totally insulting and had an argument with the manager...like he said, he would have given a generous tip anyway, but to have it written down on the bill for us, made us walk out of there and leaving nothing...in the end it was the poor waiter who suffered, of course, but that is no way to treat customers, ignorant tourist or whatever...

I would definitely call the restaurant and talk to a manager ~ if nothing else, for this situation not to happen to anyone else. If he's doing drugs, I'd hate to think that he may hurt someone next time, kwim?

I'm in Aussie too, but originally from Europe where you tip when you're happy with the service, though you tip more there than in Australia...

I find the whole system of waiters having to rely on a customers tipping for their income quite absurd..I'm sure you are so used to this in the States that it is rarely questioned, but why don't they give the waiters a fair wage and whatever they get in tip would be a little extra?...It's ridiculous to rely on customers being generous in order to pay your rent...

When we were in San Francisco a few years ago, the manager clocked us as tourist straight away (had the kids with us) and actually wrote down on the bill the amount he was expecting us to pay in tip...my husband went mad (he's from London and always tips), found it totally insulting and had an argument with the manager...like he said, he would have given a generous tip anyway, but to have it written down on the bill for us, made us walk out of there and leaving nothing...in the end it was the poor waiter who suffered, of course, but that is no way to treat customers, ignorant tourist or whatever...

i hate tipping. i don't have loads of extra cash to spend. i'm in college. but when i go out to eat i'm definitely not stingy with what i order or with the tip (i always give roughtly 20%), but i hate having to give away my money. same thing with cabs too. it's a rare occasion when i take a cab but cabs are expensive enough and i'm already giving you 2.50 right off the bat just for getting into the car and i have to give you more just because you drove me somewhere which you're supposed to do anyways? tipping should just be for exceptional service, but otherwise i already expect you to be nice or at least professional when you wait on my table or whatever i'm tipping for. i mean it's their job. i should move to europe. lol.

So, what did he do to warrant the lack of tip?

i hate tipping. i don't have loads of extra cash to spend. i'm in college. but when i go out to eat i'm definitely not stingy with what i order or with the tip (i always give roughtly 20%), but i hate having to give away my money. same thing with cabs too. it's a rare occasion when i take a cab but cabs are expensive enough and i'm already giving you 2.50 right off the bat just for getting into the car and i have to give you more just because you drove me somewhere which you're supposed to do anyways? tipping should just be for exceptional service, but otherwise i already expect you to be nice or at least professional when you wait on my table or whatever i'm tipping for. i mean it's their job. i should move to europe. lol.

Unfortunately, the way restaurants work in the US is that the price you see on the menu is the price for the food. The tip is the price for service, and in most states, the server's wage reflects that. Here in Fla, servers get about 3 bucks an hour. So it's not really giving money away.

So, what did he do to warrant the lack of tip?

Unfortunately, the way restaurants work in the US is that the price you see on the menu is the price for the food. The tip is the price for service, and in most states, the server's wage reflects that. Here in Fla, servers get about 3 bucks an hour. So it's not really giving money away.

I understand how it works, Charles, but it's strange for somebody who is not accustomed to this to realize you're basically paying the wage of the waiter...3 bucks an hour??? Nobody agrees this system sucks and they should be paid a decent wage and earn a little bit extra when people feel generous?

My 14 year old just got herself a little job in our local Indian, earns $8.50 an hour and came home jubilant one evening when somebody gave her a $20 tip...

^^ It seems to me that the way restaurants work in the US is wrong, when you go to a restaurant you expect to be served the food and therefore the prices should reflect this. Are you saying that the restaurant then doesn't charge in the food rate the cost of overheads (rates/rent/someone to wash the dishes) etc? Why then can't fair and decent wages be costed as well, its a cop out for cheap labour as far as I am concerned.

Yikes, I've never had someone run after me. That must have been strange and to think he might have been on drugs? I would call the manager to leave a comment.

And I've had the worst service at this small resturant, the 2 waiters that work there wouldn't even smile an inch like it would have killed them. They were not courteous in any manner and made us wait forever for our drinks, food, service and bill. What was a joyful quick lunch for a friends outting left us running late and aggravated. We left $1 tip and just walked out the doors.

To say the very least, they closed down after a month. I just don't get it.

Call the restaurant and tell the manager what happened. We've had our share of stupid waiter experiences, but in those cases we tip small. I'm a pretty generous tipper when the service is at least average. It can't be an easy job.

Charles--question for you. Recently my sister and I had breakfast in a nice hotel dining room. It was buffet but the waiter did some extra stuff for us so we left him a tip. As I was leaving the room I turned around to see a different waiter come to the table to clean it off and he put the $10 in his apron pocket. Do they share, or might he give it to the man whose table we were at? I felt awful that the guy who helped us so much had his tip taken by another waiter.