Crazy Seller (or Not) on EBAY

Jan 29, 2008
I am watching a beautiful vintage bag that a seller claims to be new and never used. While I have no doubt the bag is authentic, what I find odd is her refusal to show photos of the interior serial number and corresponding authenticity card. When I inquired she told me to look up the "sku" number from the photo of the box she posted. Should I be appalled. I have never seen or heard of such a thing. Why would a seller refuse to divulge these things to a prospective buyer. Can anyone please explain the logic to me. I have purchased many designer bags on EBAY, including Chanel, and never once had a seller take this stance. Thank you ladies.

Reactions: lexus72
I can think of two reasons, but can't confirm either is the case: it's stolen, or Chanel somehow keeps track of what becomes of bags (to whom it's sold) in an effort to fend off resellers. ????

I would post this in the eBay forum. The ladies there are incredibly knowledgeable and quite the detectives when needed. Not having read how the seller responded I don't know why you'd be offended though. Maybe this seller doesn't want to take additional photos and send them to you or she thinks giving out the info will somehow help thieves make better fakes or maybe s/he has completely unrelated reason but whatever that reason is I feel you're overreacting.

Reactions: ccbaggirl89
I can think of two reasons, but can't confirm either is the case: it's stolen, or Chanel somehow keeps track of what becomes of bags (to whom it's sold) in an effort to fend off resellers. ????
I would post this in the eBay forum. The ladies there are incredibly knowledgeable and quite the detectives when needed. Not having read how the seller responded I don't know why you'd be offended though. Maybe this seller doesn't want to take additional photos and send them to you or she thinks giving out the info will somehow help thieves make better fakes or maybe s/he has completely unrelated reason but whatever that reason is I feel you're overreacting.
I believe it a bit much to offer a bag for sale and refuse to provide the most basic of authenticity information to a prospective buyer. I beg to differ. Especially, given there are so many fakes being sold on EBAY. I believe I was more offended by her tone. Everyone is different.

Thank you. I will check the forum.

I believe it a bit much to offer a bag for sale and refuse to provide the most basic of authenticity information to a prospective buyer. I beg to differ. Especially, given there are so many fakes being sold on EBAY. I believe I was more offended by her tone. Everyone is different.
Yup, everyone is different but you asked if you should be appalled. Maybe this particular seller was appalled that you doubted the bag was authentic and needed more authenticity verification from her/him. As a seller she can choose what to include in her photos and how to respond to additional requests and you as a buyer can choose if you want to take the chance without the card or move on.

Reactions: ccbaggirl89
I am watching a beautiful vintage bag that a seller claims to be new and never used. While I have no doubt the bag is authentic, what I find odd is her refusal to show photos of the interior serial number and corresponding authenticity card. When I inquired she told me to look up the "sku" number from the photo of the box she posted. Should I be appalled. I have never seen or heard of such a thing. Why would a seller refuse to divulge these things to a prospective buyer. Can anyone please explain the logic to me. I have purchased many designer bags on EBAY, including Chanel, and never once had a seller take this stance. Thank you ladies.

Telling a buyer to look up the "sku" number from the photo just sounds unprofessional to me.
There is no logic in a response such as this.
What is the return policy of this seller?
Have you had the bag authenticated on the Chanel sub forum ?
When a seller doesn't seem to want to answer a reasonable question & sends you in the direction she is suggesting,
I'd pass doing business with this seller.

Last edited:
Telling a buyer to look up the "sku" number from the photo just sounds unprofessional to me.
There is no logic in a response such as this.
What is the return policy of this seller?
Have you had the bag authenticated on the Chanel sub forum ?
When a seller doesn't seem to want to answer a reasonable question & sends you in the direction she is suggesting,
I'd pass doing business with this seller.
I a seasoned Chanel owner and buyer. While I have no doubt the bag is authentic, it is the attitude of the seller that bothered me the most. I also sell on EBAY and bend over backwards to accommodate requests from potential buyers. Hey, isn't the idea to sell. In any event, I decided at her first response to pass. I just posted her because I was so floored. Thanks for your kind words and advice.

Reactions: aynrand and lexus72
Yup, everyone is different but you asked if you should be appalled. Maybe this particular seller was appalled that you doubted the bag was authentic and needed more authenticity verification from her/him. As a seller she can choose what to include in her photos and how to respond to additional requests and you as a buyer can choose if you want to take the chance without the card or move on.
You two must know each other. Appalled at asking to show a photo of the serial number and authenticity card. When listing a Chanel, divulging such is virtually a given. Nevertheless, I have moved on.

Reactions: aynrand and lexus72
I a seasoned Chanel owner and buyer. While I have no doubt the bag is authentic, it is the attitude of the seller that bothered me the most. I also sell on EBAY and bend over backwards to accommodate requests from potential buyers. Hey, isn't the idea to sell. In any event, I decided at her first response to pass. I just posted her because I was so floored. Thanks for your kind words and advice.

I would be bothered as well. If a buyer is asked a reasonable question such as you did, what's the big
deal in responding with the information in a professional manner.
You made the right decision in moving on.. No doubt you will find the bag elsewhere from a more responsive seller.
This seller fell short in more ways than won.

Last edited:
i sell chanel/lv bags and i refuse to take additional photos as well, i list the maximum number of pics, and if someone wants more, oh well. my response to the inquiry is to delete and block the buyer with no reply, or be quite snarky back, as she was with you. i do show the authenticity stuff, though, and take great pics. but it's her choice to list what she wants in terms of pics and if it bothers that she won't show more, then you just stay away from the listing. pretty simple. in my own experience - which is hundreds of chanel bags - a luxe sale has never come from a buyer who asked for additional pics; those people are usually just mildly interested and fishing for more photos to confirm that they don't want it. i've learned to ignore/be rude to those buyers, as she was likely doing with you. we all have our own practices that work for us as sellers.

Reactions: twin-fun
I have a different point of view, the view of someone who isn't a Chanel expert but is a buyer, seller and authenticator of other brands.

First, in answer to your question of whether you should be appalled, I don't think so.

Without seeing the listing, it's all speculation but here are my thoughts.
  • If she's not an experienced seller of designer items, she may not know what pictures to include
  • If she's not an experienced reader of discussion boards, she may not realize that authenticators need to see certain pictures in order to authenticate
  • She may not even realize there are fakes out there
  • She may not know that anything - authenticity cards, serial numbers, holograms, boxes, tissue, etc. - can be faked
  • She may not have shown her own pictures (i.e., used stolen pictures), thus is unable to post more pictures lest she'd be caught stealing pictures.
  • She may think that showing certain details will help the fakers
My suggestion (if you really want the bag and think she might be open to enlightenment) would be to refer her here, explain that Chanel (and every other brand) is highly counterfeited, and that educated buyers want to vet their sellers before spending their hard-earned money. SHow her the AT Chanel first post that outlines what pictures are needed for authentications.

No matter how many pictures are shown, it's my opinion that a good seller will be willing to provide more pics and/or answer questions from potential buyers. An educated buyer who knows what to expect (as far as condition) and knows what to ask for (in order to make sure she gets what she pays for) is less apt to get an unpleasant surprise and file a dispute. If a seller refuses to send more pictures, I would hit the back button.

There have been times when a seller has told me that they don't show the serial number because they think someone will steal it. The seller you are dealing with might be misinformed and think that by photographing it, they are opening themselves up to some kind of scam.

There have been times when a seller has told me that they don't show the serial number because they think someone will steal it. The seller you are dealing with might be misinformed and think that by photographing it, they are opening themselves up to some kind of scam.