Crazy about bags? I need your help!

Ajf915

Dec 7, 2018
Hello lovely ladies and gents!

I need your help in deciding what designer bag I should get. This will be my first ‘big’ purchase!! I’m 24, usually dress casually - I spend 99% of my time in sneakers. Budget is around £3000 (I’m not sure what this is in USD).

I like the Diorama + Lady Dior. But, I want your thoughts & opinions on these or anything else that I should consider before making my final decision. Thank you! :biggrin:

Reactions: prepster
Congrats on planning your first big purchase!
If you like Diorama and Lady Dior, those should be your first choices; to make up your mind, a good source of information is the Dior sub forum and I also recommend seeing some reviews on Youtube. That way you can get an idea on the bags and make up your mind if one of the styles is the one you need in your life. If not, think what size bags you'd rather use, what kind of leather, what style and what type of leather. It's easier for us to help you here when you know what you're longing for. :yes:

Reactions: prepster
How exciting! Some questions to ask yourself...

Is this a daily carry or dress up only bag?
Is this a Spring/Summer bag or a Fall/Winter bag or will it span 4 seasons?
Does it need to stand up to adverse weather?
How much cargo will it need to hold?
How important is weight?
Do you need/want to have both hands free? Would it bother you to set your bag down someplace in order to pick up something with both hands?
Do you need/want a shoulder strap? How long—shoulder carry or cross body?
How wide is a comfortable strap size to carry on your shoulder or in your hand?
Do you want feet on the bottom?
Do you want a leather interior? Smooth or sueded?
Do you need pockets inside or dividers or lots of empty space?
Do you need an exterior pocket for your phone etc? How big?
Does the bag need a flap?
Will you carry it open or closed?
Does it need to lock?

Good luck! Can’t wait to hear what you get. :heart:

Congrats on planning your first big purchase!
If you like Diorama and Lady Dior, those should be your first choices; to make up your mind, a good source of information is the Dior sub forum and I also recommend seeing some reviews on Youtube. That way you can get an idea on the bags and make up your mind if one of the styles is the one you need in your life. If not, think what size bags you'd rather use, what kind of leather, what style and what type of leather. It's easier for us to help you here when you know what you're longing for. :yes:

In all honesty my main concern is the how long the bag will stay looking good for! This best describes my attitude towards my handbags 'a handbag is meant to be worn not babied'. I currently own the Diorama baby pouch but it is just too tiny, I like the style but the thing I like most is that i've thrown it at the bottom of my wardrobe, dumped it on the floor and it still looks fab. Maybe this is just the type of leather as it is the really shiny silver mirrored sort of leather (I'm really not technical at all!) So really i'm asking for a reasonably sized indestructible bag haha...

Reactions: Amazona
How exciting! Some questions to ask yourself...

Is this a daily carry or dress up only bag?
Is this a Spring/Summer bag or a Fall/Winter bag or will it span 4 seasons?
Does it need to stand up to adverse weather?
How much cargo will it need to hold?
How important is weight?
Do you need/want to have both hands free? Would it bother you to set your bag down someplace in order to pick up something with both hands?
Do you need/want a shoulder strap? How long—shoulder carry or cross body?
How wide is a comfortable strap size to carry on your shoulder or in your hand?
Do you want feet on the bottom?
Do you want a leather interior? Smooth or sueded?
Do you need pockets inside or dividers or lots of empty space?
Do you need an exterior pocket for your phone etc? How big?
Does the bag need a flap?
Will you carry it open or closed?
Does it need to lock?

Good luck! Can’t wait to hear what you get. :heart:

Ohhh my gosh! SO many things to think about! I think i'm lusting after the Diorama the most, and it seems to be the best fit to what I need, but watch this space as i'll certainly let you all know what I bought!

I think you should clarify what you mean by "casual." "Sneakers" also doesn't help since there are sneakers being made today to appeal to street fashion and not the gym.

My first $$$ bag I got for myself was lv favorite mm. If you don't already have lv, I consider lv a staple. You can beat that canvas up. Gucci also has some nice starter pieces. At the price point you mentioned though, with a little more money (in the US after conversion), you can get a Chanel too. I prefer crossbody/long shoulder, since I like being handsfree. Not sure if I am remembering it correctly, but I think depending on the lady dior size, the strap may be too short to wear crossbody.

The bags you mentioned, in my head, would look good-interesting with someone who falls under athleisure style. If "casual" means baggy shirt and poorly fitted jeans, the bags would look bad-interesting. Between the two bags though, I like diorama. It looks more youthful and a good grab-and-go and girl's-night bag, whereas lady dior to me looks a lot more formal and "established."

I think you should clarify what you mean by "casual." ...

By casual I mean more athleisure style, or a simple jeans, t-shirt, with leather/denim jacket. By sneakers I do not mean the running style!!:biggrin: You know, I keep trying to force myself to find an LV (it's a staple for most people) but every time I try one I'm left feeling 'meh' I never feel 'wow'. I really don't know why I feel this way.....

Again with Chanel i'm very unsure on how I feel, and I do question wether i'd be buying it just because its Chanel. However, the boy bag style is very 'me', i'm going to see what colours I can find them in... Maybe a nice navy with silver hardware would catch my eye! Speaking of the lady dior, I believe it is only the smaller sizes which go cross body well - cross body is a must!

On the last note you made me laugh with the "baggy shirt and poorly fitted jeans" :biggrin:

I think the diorama sounds like a good fit for you. It's stylish on its own and can be dressed up or down. I have 3 dioramas and have been thinking about getting a lady dior, but don't think I would wear as much because it is more dressy. But both are beautiful bags.

Congrats on your first big bag purchase and please let us know what you decide!

By casual I mean more athleisure style, or a simple jeans, t-shirt, with leather/denim jacket. By sneakers I do not mean the running style!!:biggrin: You know, I keep trying to force myself to find an LV (it's a staple for most people) but every time I try one I'm left feeling 'meh' I never feel 'wow'. I really don't know why I feel this way.....

Again with Chanel i'm very unsure on how I feel, and I do question wether i'd be buying it just because its Chanel. However, the boy bag style is very 'me', i'm going to see what colours I can find them in... Maybe a nice navy with silver hardware would catch my eye! Speaking of the lady dior, I believe it is only the smaller sizes which go cross body well - cross body is a must!

On the last note you made me laugh with the "baggy shirt and poorly fitted jeans" :biggrin:
For lv, it could be that you haven't found the bag for you. I'm the same age as you and I don't own any of the classics or a neverfull, I just find them meh. I originally didn't like lv but after I found one that I did like, lv quickly became my favorite brand for ease of use and maintenance.

If you want a navy colored chanel, I would go to the store asap. Chanel released a bunch of deeper tones for fall, including deep blues. Since Chanel very much operates on seasonal colors, get one while you can. It may not come out in the exact, or similar, color for the next couple of seasons.

I initially wanted the boy bag but passed on it. Not into the large chunky chain in-person (looks gaudy and cheap to me), and I don't like how the bottom is made of two pieces of leather instead of one. I really like it on other people, just not something for me.

My clothing style depends on my mood for the day but for bags I am consistent. I love structured bags, so I got the chanel vanity case. It comes in a dark blue too (US website). I don't think there's anything wrong with getting any bag, as long as you actually like the bag. Don't get a bag just because of the brand.

My style is edgy athleisure, and the easiest bag to use that I own is the Gucci disco. It’s just casual and goes with everything!! Crossbodies are a must for me as well and we’re around the same age!

That being said; you should get what makes your heart sing! Sounds like a Dior purse is what you’re really eyeing, and you should get what will make you happy every time you use it. :heart:

Attachments

• 960E9E8F-00E5-4791-AE46-1EBF393B6240.jpeg
    960E9E8F-00E5-4791-AE46-1EBF393B6240.jpeg
    213.7 KB · Views: 115
Reactions: Glttglam
Hello lovely ladies and gents!

I need your help in deciding what designer bag I should get. This will be my first ‘big’ purchase!! I’m 24, usually dress casually - I spend 99% of my time in sneakers. Budget is around £3000 (I’m not sure what this is in USD).

I like the Diorama + Lady Dior. But, I want your thoughts & opinions on these or anything else that I should consider before making my final decision. Thank you! :biggrin:
I would like to show mine carryon handbag:heart:

Attachments

• QFT_6117.jpg
    QFT_6117.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 103