Crate cleaning

mememeow

Will soon be banned.
Dec 1, 2007
Canada
I just brought home a used crate that i bought from a gentleman. The crate at first looked pretty nice (the previous owner apparently only use it a couple of times for a rescued dog). I left it in the basement last night, and this morning i woke up by a strong wet dog smell all over the house. Even the carpet where I left it, now smell.
Now, i worry that the puppy that will be coming in next week, won't like the crate.
Do you guys have any tips on how I could clean it up? Buying a brand new crate is the last option?

TIA

stephc005

O.G.
Aug 7, 2008
MD
have you washed it at all? i'd suggest washing it first (scrubbing and disinfecting) and seeing if this solves your problem. if not, maybe one of those cleansers made for pet accidents will help remove any odor from the previous pet (Nature's miracle, Petzyme, etc)...i've used Petzyme to clean the bottom of my puppy's crate whenever he'd have accidents and it did remove the odor. but with all the work, i'd probably just buy a new crate.

aklein

Dec 30, 2007
I would definitely recommend washing it with hot soapy water before the enzyme cleaner. You don't know what the previous dog had that could be left in the crate. That should be enough to kill any remaining scent and germs that might be in there.
To make it more enticing when you bring your puppy home, take a blanket when you go to pick him up. Rub it on the mother and the other littermates. Then keep it in your puppy's crate. It should help him to feel more at home.

mememeow

Will soon be banned.
Dec 1, 2007
Canada
Thank you very much. Will try to clean the crate before considering buying a new one.

Aklein, I will bring his blanket with me when i pick him up. Good tip.