Craigslist selling help...getting madeline

mumar_k

Jan 29, 2008
ohio
I posted my medium leather Carly for sale at craigslist and some one was interested to buy it. I am selling it coz I want magenta madeline. So, I am located in Iowa and said in the AD that I deal locally, but this lady e-mailed me that she will send a cashier check as she live in New York. What should I do? Is it safe to do the transaction long distance in craigslist ? This is my first time selling in craigslist and my first time selling something in all my life actually ! I was thinking about accepting the check and ship her the bag through ground UPS so I can track it and insure safe delivery. Please need advice.

Thanks everyone in advance

nawth21

Addicted!
Feb 21, 2006
Twin Cities MN
well, there are fake cashiers checks. and money orders, ect. I'd ask her to send a postal money order instead. Or have her wire the $, using moneygram, western union, ect.

ranskimmie

Jan 25, 2006
I posted my medium leather Carly for sale at craigslist and some one was interested to buy it. I am selling it coz I want magenta madeline. So, I am located in Iowa and said in the AD that I deal locally, but this lady e-mailed me that she will send a cashier check as she live in New York. What should I do? Is it safe to do the transaction long distance in craigslist ? This is my first time selling in craigslist and my first time selling something in all my life actually ! I was thinking about accepting the check and ship her the bag through ground UPS so I can track it and insure safe delivery. Please need advice.

Thanks everyone in advance

Yes, if your getting a cashiers check you will be safe. DO NOT ship until the check is receiced. Then as you said, when you ship the bag, I would insure it and get a signature delivery. That way you are both covered. Good Luck!

mumar_k

Jan 29, 2008
ohio
well, there are fake cashiers checks. and money orders, ect. I'd ask her to send a postal money order instead. Or have her wire the $, using moneygram, western union, ect.
she said only after i cash the check and receive the money in my hand that shipping can be done. Do you think it is still not safe? please advice

Taralindsey

peněženka blázen
O.G.
Apr 25, 2007
San Antonio
Cashier's Checks and money orders can be faked so if you do deal with this lady make SURE that the check clears before you ship.

I personally would ask for a postal money order. They buy them from the post office and you can cash them there, I think. Also, when you send get tracking and a signature delivery. I always get an adult signature. That way they can track it and they have to sign for it, and it covers you if they try to say they never got it, or it was lost etc.

Good luck selling your bag!

damienmomma

COACH LOVER
Aug 10, 2007
If you do chose to do this transaction with this lady i would wait until I have the actual money in my hand and then ship the bag. The other girls are right have her do a postal money order. You can never be too careful! Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

coachfreak

Looking for LVOE
I totally agree, postal money orders are the way to go. If it is a cashiers check and you have a chase near you insist on a chase check so you can cash it there. I figure you would know quicker if it was fake.

They can actually still put a stop payment on a money order or check, but as long as you wait 5 days for it to clear, or immediately cash a PO Money order you will be fine.

jen6292

Feb 4, 2008
OR
Yeah there is a man out here that is doing a scam with cashier's checks and craigslist. SO just be careful! I personally wouldn't do it by cashier's check

Jkm

Jul 2, 2007
USA
I think paying w/a money oprder/cashiers check is fine because rule of thumb- Do not ship the item until you cash the cashiers check/money order. If this person ends up being a crook you are not out your bag.

bidnowbaby

Mar 30, 2008
yes, she'd have to have paypal too -
if she has ebayed prior she likely does
if not, she can easily sign up, right?

bidnowbaby

Mar 30, 2008
forgot...
i think there's a simple "send money" tab/link on paypal which she would use.
you can paypal $ to anyone w/ an email acct...I've done it for non ebay stuff.

nawth21

Addicted!
Feb 21, 2006
Twin Cities MN
It's just like eBay, to be protected you need to ship to a confirmed address, signature confirmation if over $250, ect.

The problem with fake MOs, cashiers checks ect is that they clear, ect. But a week or so down the line youre contacted by the bank with them saying 'OOPS!' it was fake, give us back the money. So then you're out the money and the bag.