Crafty people: Sewing machine recommendations?

Dec 2, 2005
Random question, I know, but I would reallllly appreciate any advice or opinions.

I'm learning to sew, and need a machine. I'm totally clueless, however, about what to look for or what brands are recommended. Any advice?

Thank you!
A EuroPro? I will look it up right now. What model is it? Are you a beginner too? What functions do you think are needed for beginners? Sorry so many qs, I'm excited to start sewing :smile:

More opinions welcomed! :smile:

I would get a cheapo traditional machine, and any serger you can find to finish and lock seams, they're wonderful. My friend's mom had this really big, scary industrial sewing machine, it was truly the best.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+1] [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+2]What is a serger and why would I need one?[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Trimming, overcasting, and creating a seam all in one-step…a few reasons people started buying sergers almost two decades ago. While a serger was once considered an "industrial" machine, it is undoubtedly a tool for mainstream sewing in the '90's. Stitches that are formed by a serger are very different that those formed by a sewing machine. Needles and loopers work together to form a stitch using as few as 2 or as many as 5 threads. One other unique characteristic of a serger is the capability to create up to 1400 stitches per minute.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sergers are very popular choice for those who enjoy being creative. First of all, the finishes from a serger are identical to those you see in ready-made clothing. Just look inside of something you have purchased to see the thread that wraps the seam. The serged seam and seam finishes make your sewing look very professional. An important factor for many is the time a serger saves. When compared to a sewing machine, the serger can help you get twice as much sewing done![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](answer taken from http://www.sewyoungsewfun.com/wanttoknow/wtntext.html)
[/FONT]

A serger would be FAB, but unless youknow for sure this is somehing you're going to want to do a lot, I'd wait. I've been sewing for over 4 years for my little girl and I haven't bought one or really felt the need for one yet.
Find out if you have a local sewing shop. I went into mine and told them I needed a basic model and told them what I wanted to make. They steered towards a Janome and it's been wonderful and SO user friendly. I wanted one from a local shop in case I needed help or wanted a few classes. Also, these local shops have most of them set up w/ fabric and you can try them out.
I LOVE to sew!

Swankymama, it is so great that you can sew stuff for you daughter. My husband bought me a sewing machine (and serger) for Mother's Day when my daughter was born. I had all these ambitions of making her great little dresses...The serger is still in the box and my daughter just turned three!!! I am shooting for making her prom dress. :smile:

Spiralsnowman, I don't know if you live here in the States, but I think my sewing machine is from JoAnn's. They have VERY knowledgable sales people there and offer classes as well.