Cracking in the Handle Selant, HELP!

nekostar0412

Bitten by the CHANEL Bug
O.G.
Jul 28, 2007
I just noticed that the sealant on my Chestnut Trish's handles has a LOT of cracks! Nothing that's gapping but still, they are there, in multiples :sad: I don't know if they were there before I bought the bag earlier this year, but I'm a bit sad, considering that this has never happened to any of my other MJ collection bags. My Hillier has held up great, even though it's been used more than any other bags in my collection - the sealant on the rolled handle is nice and thick, though...

Has anyone had this happen to their handles? Is it fixable? I want to be able to find a DIY solution to keep these small cracks from getting any worse!

this happens with a lot of MJs but also, pretty much with every brand. the part that is cracking is called edgepaint, and basically it's a high end acrylic base that they apply to stablize the leather...but it wears out because leather naturally stretches.

I haven't personally had it happen to any of my MJs, but I have heard it can be a problem with some styles and brands. So sorry this is happening to you! If there was a fix, june would've been able to let you know about it.

I've fixed edge paint very carefully with super glue. it's never going to look perfect and new again, but it will prevent further cracking.

have you considered contacting Diego to see if this is something he could fix? I know he's done work on other tPFer's Hudson and striping bags. It's an older bag, but it's certainly worth a try - he's made exceptions in the past and done repairs beyond the 2 yr period (what's the worst that could happen?)

i think the edgepaint thing would be something they'd have to send it out to do. they use a special wheel to do it, it's layered on and then buffed out.