Cracked sealant on handles???

Yikkie

Avid Purse Lover!
O.G.
May 26, 2008
I received my ink city bag today. While the bag is in overall great condition, I can't help but noticed the cracked sealant on handles :sad:

Is this something common to expect from a preowned bag described as mint? I mean, there are some superficial flaws such as fingernail scratches and slight wear on top corners but they don't bother me as much as this does. Perhaps because the white looks pretty obvious against the dark ink colour....

Would this affect the longevity of the bag in the long run?

Grateful for any help/guidance!

Attachments

• image-3641217241.jpg
    image-3641217241.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 2,353
My rouge theatre city has cracks in handle sealant where your ink does as well as on the thicker part near the rivets, it also has cracks (multiple) in the sealant on the top of the bag. None of this was mentioned in the eBay auction either. While I love the bag and color all these signs of use really bum me out! I know where you are coming from! Mine came from AUS and it would have been a super big hassle and money loss to try to send it back. What do you think you will do about yours? I feel like wear like that should definitely be mentioned!

This is not mint at all.

My hardest-worn thrasher Bal that I have used as a carry on for traveling (for more than 2 yrs) shows wear like that on the handles.

My rouge theatre city has cracks in handle sealant where your ink does as well as on the thicker part near the rivets, it also has cracks (multiple) in the sealant on the top of the bag. None of this was mentioned in the eBay auction either. While I love the bag and color all these signs of use really bum me out! I know where you are coming from! Mine came from AUS and it would have been a super big hassle and money loss to try to send it back. What do you think you will do about yours? I feel like wear like that should definitely be mentioned!

I've dropped the seller a note on this and still awaiting a reply. Not sure what I can do apart from this :wondering Like you said to return and fight for a refund etc is really a lot of hassle and I'm not sure if it's worth the effort. The flaw isn't so bad that I can't tolerate, and there is always the option of professional restoration. I just feel it's quite unfair paying the price I paid, given its condition. Or am I expecting too much from a preowned mint bag??? :confused1:

I read about Fiebing's edge kote that can be used for DIY repair but can't seem to find one in navy. Also, shipping from US is expensive and takes quite a while. Does anyone know if I can order this from cities such as HK or Singapore?

Yikkie, this is NOT a mint bag. MINT means pristine with absolutely MINIMAL signs of wear/use/age.

Finding brown or black sealant is pretty easy, but colors are different. I would return it for a refund if I had this situation.

I've dropped the seller a note on this and still awaiting a reply. Not sure what I can do apart from this :wondering Like you said to return and fight for a refund etc is really a lot of hassle and I'm not sure if it's worth the effort. The flaw isn't so bad that I can't tolerate, and there is always the option of professional restoration. I just feel it's quite unfair paying the price I paid, given its condition. Or am I expecting too much from a preowned mint bag??? :confused1:

See what the seller says. If she is unreasonable I would open a case. Maybe you could agree on a partial refund to reflect the shape of the bag. I wish I would have spoken up about mine, the seller took down all the photos from the ended auction once she knew I received the bag. Super shady :sad: Let us know what the seller says.

Idk about bags, but in books "mint" would be Fine/Like New, which would mean you cannot tell it was used. I think you have basis to at least get a partial refund because the description was not accurate! Good luck!

I read about Fiebing's edge kote that can be used for DIY repair but can't seem to find one in navy. Also, shipping from US is expensive and takes quite a while. Does anyone know if I can order this from cities such as HK or Singapore?

You can order it from ebay. I bought one from the seller previously and luckily I don't have a chance to use it yet.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIEBINGS-LEATHER-DYE-4FL-OZ-NAVY-BLUE-/130794742966?pt=UK_Crafts_Leathercraft_LE&hash=item1e73f964b6

You are certainly not unreasonable in expecting a bag in better shape than the one you received. You said the bag was described as "mint" and from the photo you posted is clearly not :nono:

So sorry this happened Yikkie! I hope things work out well for you! Please keep us posted.

Thanks all. The seller agreed to a $50 refund and told me it was an easy fix with some leather glue and tarrago dye...

Well I still don't think it was fair to assume that this flaw wouldn't matter to others. And the refund is probably barely enough to cover the cost of getting the issue fixed. But I don't see the point of arguing here, and besides, the bag is nice overall apart from the cracks on handles so I thought I'd just let it be.

I have order the Basco leather edge coat in navy from eBay and will try to touch up the cracks. Hope it works well!!

Just want to update on this - I bought the Basco Edge Coat in navy from a Japanese online store and applied it on the cracked areas. The result was superb, I'm extremely happy!!! Let's hope it lasts for quite a while before I need to reapply.

Attachments

• image-1933314978.jpg
    image-1933314978.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 1,944
  • image-3101033153.jpg
    image-3101033153.jpg
    401.8 KB · Views: 1,983