Cracked Louis Vuitton Canvas?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
?

Should I keep this Speedy?

1. Yes! It still has life left in her.

2. No way! It'll only go downhill from here.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Hi everyone!

So I understand that Louis Vuitton won't touch/repair anything with any cracked canvas. But has anyone here had any experiences with a Louis that's canvas was cracked?

I have a Speedy Damier Ebene 30 and it's cracked just a tad bit on the bottom 4 corners. Is there anything I can do to repair this myself/can it be repaired at a shoe/leather shop? If not, how much life would you all suggest it has left?

Thank you all for your input in advance!

2. I HATE when DE starts to look like it's bleeding! How old is the bag? Personally I would sell and use the money towards a new one and be more careful with it.

Zeebeebeeba and 2babies like this.
  3. Sorry that this happened to you, OP. I've no experience with this, I would suggest taking it to a cobbler and see what suggestions they might offer.

4. How long have you had this?

5. It might be worth asking a cobbler/shoe repair shop how much it would cost to get it repaired but even then I don't think it will look very good anymore, considering it's on all the corners. I think I'd sell it as it is and put the money towards a new one. I'd also be interested to know how old this bag is?

6. A cobbler might be able to put some kind of glue or adhesive on the tears but I don't think it will look too good. Mine wouldn't even repair slight tears on my pre-loved Delightful.

7. If you found a very experienced leather worker you could have them wrap some dark leather around each corner to hide those rips. I wouldn't carry the bag as it is.

8. I would sell the bag and put the funds toward a new one.

2babies and LVHeartsDesire like this.
  9. It's 8 years old!

MargaeryTyrell likes this.
  10. It's 8 years old but just got it as my first preloved item!

calipursegal likes this.
  11. The bag is 8 years old, but I just got it as a preloved item! I feel like the cracks are super minuscule, excluding the largest one so I'm thinking it may not be too bad if they are able to cover it up/repair it since they're completely on the bottom of the bag...no one will see it unless I flip the bag over I hope! I'm more concerned of it tearing more.

12. Can you return it for a refund? I would do that if it is an option. If not, just use it as your beater bag.

13. I was thinking the same thing. I was able to negotiate the price down to $425 since I purchased multiple items from them. I was only intending to use this as a "mommy" bag when I'm out with the kids to place their belongings inside. I'm hoping it'll hold!

14. Could you still return it?

15. I googled handbag restoration service once and the first one that popped up had before and after photos of an lv wallet where the canvas was chewed/ripped as if by a dog. Obviously the canvas itself can't be repaired but they did some clever reshaping and added a tiny bit of additional vachetta and the "restored" wallet looked quite decent at the end. It didn't look like it's original state of course, but it looked nice and presentable , with no apparent damage.

I have no idea how much a similar restoration/repair job would cost though, so that might affect your decision. I would personally be worried about the damage spreading and becoming bigger, especially if you decide to use the bag regularly with your kid's stuff. I understand that LV is a nice brand and as a fellow mom I love the idea that even though I have a baby I can still use a nice purse. However, how "nice" is the bag if it's coming apart and has holes in it, even if it's LV? I'd get it repaired before using it, even if "only" as a baby bag.