Crack in my 4 month old mahina!!!

jewels82

O.G.
Nov 17, 2009
Hi everyone,

I've been trying to stay away a little bit because I've been trying to save money for my next purchase :P But I couldn't help but consult my bag lover friends on here. I purchased a mahina Selene around the middle of march and I recently noticed a tiny crack on the center seam. I am so stressed about it. I lined up a babysitter for tomorrow and am going to make the trek - I live about an hour from my nearest store.

What are your experiences with defected bags? I don't really have an SA that I typically see, a lot of my stuff is from when we were on vacation. Does it really depend on who I see? Will they let me return the bag, or make me repair it? I'm not really too interested in fixing it, I worry it will just happen again. I have other bags so this one wasn't even used that entire time. Should I call them first? I figure they'll just tell me they need to see it.

Oh no!!! My Mahina is my very favorite bag & I would be heartbroken if mine cracked. Hugs to you!

My understanding is that you can't return a bag if it's after 30 days from the original purchase but I'm not sure about what they would say in the case of a repair. Do you still have the receipt? They may let you make an exchange but I'd be really surprised if they just took it back and gave you a refund.

Sorry to hear about this! Is the crack in the leather itself? Unfortunately, from what I've read here, it does depend very much on the store/SA - but it if is defective there is no way they should be making things problematic for you. It may not be possible to repair it, in which case I would imagine they will offer to replace the bag for you, or give you store credit. Good luck. Keep us posted!

Oh no!!! My Mahina is my very favorite bag & I would be heartbroken if mine cracked. Hugs to you!

My understanding is that you can't return a bag if it's after 30 days from the original purchase but I'm not sure about what they would say in the case of a repair. Do you still have the receipt? They may let you make an exchange but I'd be really surprised if they just took it back and gave you a refund.
The mahinas are so beautiful! I'm frustrated because it cost me so much. Exchange would be just fine, I hope they let me do that!

Sorry to hear about this! Is the crack in the leather itself? Unfortunately, from what I've read here, it does depend very much on the store/SA - but it if is defective there is no way they should be making things problematic for you. It may not be possible to repair it, in which case I would imagine they will offer to replace the bag for you, or give you store credit. Good luck. Keep us posted!
Yea, that's the pattern I've noticed on here too. I hope I get someone nice tomorrow! I will definitely keep you all up to date!

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to stay away a little bit because I've been trying to save money for my next purchase :P But I couldn't help but consult my bag lover friends on here. I purchased a mahina Selene around the middle of march and I recently noticed a tiny crack on the center seam. I am so stressed about it. I lined up a babysitter for tomorrow and am going to make the trek - I live about an hour from my nearest store.

What are your experiences with defected bags? I don't really have an SA that I typically see, a lot of my stuff is from when we were on vacation. Does it really depend on who I see? Will they let me return the bag, or make me repair it? I'm not really too interested in fixing it, I worry it will just happen again. I have other bags so this one wasn't even used that entire time. Should I call them first? I figure they'll just tell me they need to see it.

Hi Julia, well I have a story for you. The speedy emp infini that I bought had acquired cracks on the glazing along the straps. I wore it for 5 days straight on vacation in NYC and when I got home I saw cracking on the straps and the glazing peeling on the handle from walking and rubbing against my jeans. I waited till I got back to NC and went to my local LV in Saks and asked the SA about a repair. I had the receipt and showed him that it was bought in February of this year. So he inspected the bag and he went in the back and replaced the bag with a brand new one. I was so shocked. No questions asked. I did say to him "what if this happens again to this bag?" And he just said, "just watch out for it and see what happens". I didn't like that response but I did get a replacement...so I'd go in and see what they have to say. I went in originally thinking it had to be sent out for repair never thinking he was going to give me a brand new one...he told me that LV has a one time courtesy replacement for a defective bag under a years warranty..hope this information helps in your case. I'm sorry your going through this too :sad:

I was looking at a preloved Selene and noticed its pretty slouchy..is the crack where its slouchy? Maybe call the store before you go in there and let them know what the situation is and that you are bringing the bag in to be looked at.....

I remember that one...what a shame because it sure was pretty on you. I've had one defective bag (piping started to crack in 2 places) and it happened one week after having the bag. I took the bag in (did not call) and had the SA look the bag over. She left to speak to her manager about it and I stood there mad, disappointed, almost in tears...about to swear off the brand forever, lol. I began to prepare myself for the "it's just normal wear and tear speech" when she came around the corner with a dustbag in hand and a big smile on her face. I had heard about these things happening but was still in disbelief. She exchanged the bag on the spot! This wasn't the SA that I usually shop with but she was very sweet and had helped me in the past. I think that sometimes it does depend on the SA/store so I hope you get an amazing one. Good luck to you tomorrow!

Sorry to hear that! I bought a zcw in November of last year I think, and this May, when I was at the LV store paying for something I noticed some glue showing and I pointed it out to my SA. She agreed it needed to be taken care of, and I took all my things out right there and then, and left it with them. They told me it would be repaired and it would be 4-6 weeks.

I went away for 5 weeks and when I returned, they called and said it was repaired. When I got to the store my SA and the manager told me they didn't like how it looked after repair and gave me a new one. My experience was very good, and genuinely always is, but each store and staff is different. I think because of how recently it was purchased, I can't imagine them not accommodating you in a way that is satisfactory to you.

Best of luck!