Crack down on excessive shipping...finally!

twinkle.tink

Choose to be happy
O.G.
Sep 19, 2006
I know this may be an unpopular opinion...but personally I am very pleased that ebay is starting to crack down on excessive shipping. I am so sick of seeing items shipping for double, triple or even more than actual cost.

^^ agreed. I use the calcuated shipping and I always send a copy of the receipt and tracking information to my buyers. So they know exactly how much it cost me.

Yes, but I have seen some cases where it was thought the shipping was excessive, but it wasn't. It just recently cost me $45 to mail an item when I charged the buyer $18. If I had listed the $45 on the listing (large box, insured, signature confirmation) is it likely my auction would have been flagged when that was the TRUE cost of shipping?

I know one person's auction on here got flagged for charging $18 for shipping when that would have been completely reasonable.

Yes, but I have seen some cases where it was thought the shipping was excessive, but it wasn't. It just recently cost me $45 to mail an item when I charged the buyer $18. If I had listed the $45 on the listing (large box, insured, signature confirmation) is it likely my auction would have been flagged when that was the TRUE cost of shipping?

I know one person's auction on here got flagged for charging $18 for shipping when that would have been completely reasonable.

Agreed. :tup:

Whenever I list my larger pop art prints on eBay, the 11x17 or 12x18 sizes, I charge $4.50 for S&H (and that's all over, not just within the U.S.). It costs me extra to pay for the larger envelope, and it STILL costs me $8 for S&H. And whenever I list these prints, I always get that annoying message—saying it's too much. Ugh!!!! Even though the system still allows me to list it, I hate that I get that annoying message every time. As though I am being dishonest and trying to pocket the extra $$$? I mean, I have to eat an additional $4+ every time I ship a larger print out.

Sux.

I do not have a postal scale at home so I estimate shipping and do not want to have to break out the separate components. So I charge a reasonable shipping, insurance and handling charge.

I got that annoying message for listing $10 shipping to mail a heavy wool and cashmere suit with delivery confirmation and insurance. I rolled back my shipping to $8 to get rid of the stupid message and ending up paying over $12 to mail it.

I think eBay is really out of line with this. It is one thing to crack down on someone charging $25 to ship a $.99 DVD, but they do not need to be policing this to the extent that they do.

If somebody really has an issue with me walking away with a few dollars (which really only go to cover the now ridiculous Paypal and Ebay fees), I wish they would just move on and not bid on my auctions.

Like many of ebay's new policies, this seems like a good idea in theory, but it will probably screw over a lot of people. I had one buyer complaining about $20 shipping. People don't realize how expensive insurance can be. I ended up spending $18 on shipping, only because the buyer didn't live very far. If the buyer had been across the country, i would have lost money.

I don't think eBay or Buyers really have a good judgement on how much is too much for S&H, until you've sold something yourself. I mean its Shipping and Handling -- Shipping for postage, Handling for the cost of the seller to get your item ready for shipping i.e it might be material cost (envelopes, gas, time, printing supplies, and the cost of them to have their internet connection). So how are we to judge the distant btwn the post office from their home, the cost of gas in their part of town and etc.

I think as long as at the end, your happy with your total payment which is cost of item plus S&H is within your budget you should still walk away thinking you got a good deal instead of picking over how much this seller supposedly jipped you on S&H...for the most part your probably just considering the Postage portion.

It's like me ordering say lingerie from victoria secret, i mean 2 panties cost rougly around $25 (this is just an example ) and VS decides to charge $8.95 for S&H. We all know shipping panties at max would only cost you $1. so how are buyers suppose to complain about that?? if you like the item, you'll pay for it b/c at the end its worth it for you and its not breaking your budget. so the same should go to sellers on ebay, they're their own store front with their own overhead that needs to be covered.

I use to think the same way about supposed 'excessive' S&H. Till last month when I finally decided to utilize ebay during their promtional sale that I decided to sell on ebay to clean out my closet. Can i just tell you. It was a pain in the A and not to mention the time it consumed to ship these items. I charged $30 for S&H on item costing around $300. I included besides postage, insurance, restricted delivery, registered a whole bunch of stuff -- it maybe excessive in adding all those stuff but reading about all the scams I didn't want to risk it. but now with this 'excessive' monitoring I'm thinking my items would probably be flagged...
the funny part is, the max. I got off 'overcharging' was $1 which probably contributed to the 'handling' portion...and honestly, that would'nt even cover gas for the distant I have to travel to drop it off at the post office.

so I am not sure about this 'big brother' partrolling on 'excessive' shipping bc in way its really a subjective matter. plus this leads to another reason for sellers to leave ebay and leaving buyers less opportunity to find 'treasures' on ebay.

Last edited:
i have never heard of being flagged for shipping, it cant happen in the uk, or i have never seen it. interesting alfie x ps there is a consignment company that could with flagging, sending to the uk oh yes

Unfortunatly I am shipping from Canada, and the price of shipping can be ridiculously high, now a surfuel charged (gas being so expensive I suppose) is being added and if shipped within Canada a GST tax is also added. I was flagged for a Tickle Me Elmo for asking for 20.00 for shipping. The box size, weight, insurance, etc. does add up.

I just shipped a small keychain to Italy and it cost me 55.00. I am embarrassed to ask for those shipping charges but thats the real cost.

I do agree that some sellers make their money off the shipping/handling charges. For example, some cheapie knock-off wascloth sells for 1.00 for 20 and the sellers ask for 25.00 in shipping, that is crazy.

I mean, what it boils down to is the potential bidder has the option of not bidding on something. That's what I do. If I see something of interest, but in my opinion the S&H seems too high (i.e. $15 S&H for an airport card, and they shipped it in a 98¢ padded envelope for $1.68 first class shipping), then I don't bid. Period. If it annoys me, then I walk away and move onto the next auction.

^^^ Totally true, bid if you agree with terms. Plain and Simple.

Shipping is very expensive this days, I just listed some items on ebay and I got the message "seller we notice your shipping quotes seem higher than normal..... etc" I got the rates form the USPS website and I have compared my rates with another auctions and I dont believe I am overcharching for shipping, besides I am not even asking for handling fees, gas is expensive too. But like twinkle said, there are people that charges up to three times what it normaly would cost to ship X item, lets said I have paid for 10 dlls for shipping and when I get the item the label says 3.99, it does piss me off but I agreed to the seller terms when I decided to bid, KWIM?

Paypal always takes a portion of your shipping charge which I don't think is fair. If I sell something for $200 and charge shipping $10. ebay takes their final value fee and then paypal takes' their fee including shipping. I always end up eating the cost

As a new seller I've underestimated my shipping costs and had to eat the difference. (I've been selling things from my closet for VERY low prices) I just received a postage scale and it's either faulty or I'm not operating it correctly, so I'm back to estimating. But if you ship a bulky item prioriy, with insurance and delivery confirmation, it comes up to more than Ebay feels is "fair" most of the time. When you're selling higher end items I suppose it is "just the cost of doing business", but when your items sell for a few dollars it makes this game a losing proposition.

Today I reported a seller who was charging $15 for one t-shirt ! I tried to sell shoes the other day and I got warning "your shipping seems to be high" , I just wanted to get extra $1 for handling fee. ( post office is far away ! )

sparkele7> yeah, ebay & paypal fee takes chunk of money from us.
CRYLATER3
> I know what you mean. Same here. I don't try to make any money on shipping also but still end up getting the warning.