Travel Cozumel, Mexico

Oct 28, 2008
Texas
My husband and I are going to Cozumel, Mexico in December for our 10 year anniversary right after my finals. I am so excited. We haven't been away together in almost 8 years. We already have a place to stay but I'm just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for anything we should do or see? Thanks. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

bagaholic85

Sep 14, 2007
i <3 ny
i went by cruise to cozumel, so i have no recs, but all i can say is it was the single most beautiful beach i ever couldve imagined. have fun!

Flossie

Apr 14, 2007
Hi , I went to Cozumel for Christmas last year . Hire a jeep and tour the island . A trip to see the Mayan Ruins is a must !

glamgirl84

Sep 10, 2007
Hi- I was in Cozumel this past June. You HAVE to go to Chankanaab National Park- it is a GORGEOUS beach front property with restaurants, hammocks in the sand, waterfront huts, etc. Its everything you think of when you think paradise! My boyfriend and I did the dolphin royal swim there, then spent the day. The dolphin swim was amazing and one of the best experiences Ive ever had. I highly recommend it! Here's a link to the place:
http://www.dolphindiscovery.com/cozumel/cozumel-location-overview.asp

Heres one of my pics from there:

mariah9999

Lovin' LV
O.G.
Feb 17, 2008
Purseville
I love Cozumel. You can go shopping downtown - which is fun! Just be prepared to be bugged a bit. I agree that the Jeep tours are OUT OF THIS WORLD fun! I did that once and had a blast! It's fun to go to Chankanaab Park too. It's a great place to go swimming. There's food available and a bar too. Cozumel is great for snorkeling. Lots of great charters to go out on. Or if you just want to be lazy, get a cabby and ask to go to a beach that isn't as busy as some of the others. They'll take you maybe a mile or so down further and you'll have the beach all to yourself! So beautiful and so much fun! Be sure to stop by Senor Frogs, Carlos and Charlies or Hard Rock Cafe downtown for a drink!!! Have a blast!

Laurie8504

chocolate...where?
O.G.
Sep 10, 2007
US
Go Parasailing!!!! It's one of my favorite memories! It's absolutely amazing to be over the ocean like that...so tranquil and not at all an adrenaline thing like you would think.

Oct 28, 2008
Texas
Thank you so much for the advice ladies. Chankanaab National Park looks amazing and I was thinking about doing the dolphin encounter. Do you think I should book that now or wait until I get to Cozumel? It sounds to me like we've picked a great place to go. And thank you for the recomendations, I really do apprecite them.

glamgirl84

Sep 10, 2007
^ I booked my dolphin encounter in advance and I would suggest you do the same. You never know how booked up they will be (they were very booked when we were there- I'm not sure that you could have gotten a reservation the day of) and you dont want to miss out on the opportunity! You can order the tickets onilne, I think we printed them out and brought them with us. Just be sure to pay attention to the time difference b/c the encounter times are listed in Mexico time. Also, I recommend the one called the "Royal Swim." I think its the most expensive but it's really not that much more than the others. You are in a group of 8 (i think) as opposed to other groups that are much larger and you get MUCH more interaction time w/ the dolphins. We got to kiss them, dance w/ them, pet them, have them sing for us, watch them do tricks, get a kiss from them, get pulled through the water, and much more. It was really amazing. Oh and my last tip would be to bring an underwater camera w/ you- you can take some of your own pictures. And if you want to purchase any of the pictures that they take of you DON'T pay full price! We had read on another forum that even though the pictures are sold at a gift shop you can bargain w/ them and get the prices down (we saved probably $50 this way). Have fun!!!

Sunshine

O.G.
Feb 1, 2006
We went for 10 days last year for New years...are you staying in a hotel, or a private home? If you are in a house..LMK and I can tell you about a local place that comes to your place and cooks the BEST mexican meal I have ever had ever. EVERYTHING they made was homemade and amazing (even the maragritas! ) AND they cook, set up, and clean up. It was such fun.
There is not alot of good shopping, but the diving, snorkeling and general tourist activities are fun. I also agree with renting a Jeep and touring the island...(some of the jeeps they rent are scary! Make sure and look at it first!) Have FUN!

sailornep5

O.G.
Apr 9, 2006
SF Bay Area, CA
We just got back from there this week! We got to see the Mayan ruins in Tulum - very cool! Tons and tons of huge iguanas! The water is unbelievable there - deep turquoise and stunning. Have a great time!

Oct 28, 2008
Texas
Oh thank you. it sounds so beautiful there. I can't wait. I would love to go see the ruins but my hubby has a bad back and I'm not sure he could do the 10 hour ruin exercusion. But I'm looking forward to hitting that way and relaxing on the beach.

ricky11

Jul 28, 2006
i only spent a day there while on a cruise, but it was such a perfect day. we just got in a cab and asked to be taken to a nice beach. we sat in the sun drinking coronas and eating fajitas all day. perfect. have so much fun!

sailornep5

O.G.
Apr 9, 2006
SF Bay Area, CA
Oh thank you. it sounds so beautiful there. I can't wait. I would love to go see the ruins but my hubby has a bad back and I'm not sure he could do the 10 hour ruin exercusion. But I'm looking forward to hitting that way and relaxing on the beach.
You're probably thinking about the Chichen Itza ruins - that is a long drive from Cozumel so I can understand the 10 hours. But the Tulum ruins are much closer - you're looking at 3-4 hours (45 minute ferry ride to and from, 1.5 hours there at the ruins). And they overlook the beach (which you can walk down to from the ruins) - it is gorgeous!