Covid is horrible, but the scammers should be ashamed!

these men and women are extremely intelligent,
I didn't get that impression. It doesn't really require much brain to steal people's info via those spam emails. I'm not saying they're idiots, but the schemes they come up with aren't really that genius.

I rarely get any spam in my email. Gmail filters work perfectly 99% of the time.

Calls from scammers telling me that there's a dubious transaction on my bank card - yep, about five times a week. The number of calls definitely increased in March when the lockdown happened here where I live and they're as incessant as ever.

I didn't get that impression. It doesn't really require much brain to steal people's info via those spam emails. I'm not saying they're idiots, but the schemes they come up with aren't really that genius.

I rarely get any spam in my email. Gmail filters work perfectly 99% of the time.

Calls from scammers telling me that there's a dubious transaction on my bank card - yep, about five times a week. The number of calls definitely increased in March when the lockdown happened here where I live and they're as incessant as ever.

Maybe some of them aren’t, but they’re still intelligent enough to get decent, honest work. Some of them, however, are extremely intelligent. Either way, there is no bloody excuse for what they do.

Reactions: Gabs007
I have been getting the scam phone messages lately. They are using the Christmas shopping season to fake a problem. The automated messages don't have a name or credit card but they insist a suspicious charge of $789 was made to my Amazon account and I need to call them right away. My phone got four of these in a two hour span. It worries me that there are people naive enough to fall for this.

Reactions: Gabs007
I have been getting the scam phone messages lately. They are using the Christmas shopping season to fake a problem. The automated messages don't have a name or credit card but they insist a suspicious charge of $789 was made to my Amazon account and I need to call them right away. My phone got four of these in a two hour span. It worries me that there are people naive enough to fall for this.
I used to believe it's mainly aimed at seniors, but it seems like even people in their 20s and 30s fall for those scams left and right. How?? :facepalm:

I used to believe it's mainly aimed at seniors, but it seems like even people in their 20s and 30s fall for those scams left and right. How?? :facepalm:

Yes. It seems like many in that age range are almost painfully trusting. I saw on my community Facebook page a few weeks ago that items were stolen out of several cars in my neighborhood. Now the neighborhood is fairly nice, but it's no secret that crime exists here. Did the thieves break in? No, they just went up and down the streets and tried the door handles. The vehicles that were unlocked they stole from. One guy lost his new truck because the dumb ass left his key in it unlocked overnight. He used GPS to see that it was parked about 20 miles away in Washington DC but understandably the DC police have better things to do than track down his truck. Another woman was more concerned that her set of expensive makeup brushes was taken from her unlocked car than that they took her car's registration. They took the registration cards from the glove boxes of all the unlocked vehicles. Turns out they can be used for identity theft. There were at least 5–6 people who had things stolen and they were all in their late 20–30s, old enough to know better.

The couple next door are smart college grads in their mid-30s with a kid. They had their unlocked car rifled through over the summer and they still left it unlocked and were victimized a second time. If you are incapable of learning from your mistakes, what hope do you have? :facepalm:

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 880 and IntheOcean
I get so much attempt at thievery...have gotten messages about my Amazon acct and I don't have one

I think I was taken in yesterday, the friendly homeless guy who died after the council took away his tent and sleeping bag had a friend he looked after and protected, a really scared looking teenager, no idea if he was even over 18, he looked 15, searched for him after getting in touch with charities who could help him, couldn't find him but a woman with a cat crying and saying her landlord turfed her out, I know how difficult it is for them to get shelter with a pet, so gave her 20, she walked off when a guy came, I am usually not suspicious but followed them, they went to a pub (Spoons) and tied up the cat outside with no regard, I thought maybe they just buy food so waited for 45 minutes freezing my butt off, then snuck up and looked through the windows, they were getting drunk. Grabbed cat and gave it to a small local charity where I now the cat will not be put down and said if they can't find a home, I will take it (dog will worship it, stroppy resident cat will posture but get used to having another house mate), not worried about the 20 that is on her karma, but seriously, using an animal as a money milking tool, that disgusted me totally, and if she would have been really concerned, she would not have tied the cat up where dogs usually get walked past

I think I was taken in yesterday, the friendly homeless guy who died after the council took away his tent and sleeping bag had a friend he looked after and protected, a really scared looking teenager, no idea if he was even over 18, he looked 15, searched for him after getting in touch with charities who could help him, couldn't find him but a woman with a cat crying and saying her landlord turfed her out, I know how difficult it is for them to get shelter with a pet, so gave her 20, she walked off when a guy came, I am usually not suspicious but followed them, they went to a pub (Spoons) and tied up the cat outside with no regard, I thought maybe they just buy food so waited for 45 minutes freezing my butt off, then snuck up and looked through the windows, they were getting drunk. Grabbed cat and gave it to a small local charity where I now the cat will not be put down and said if they can't find a home, I will take it (dog will worship it, stroppy resident cat will posture but get used to having another house mate), not worried about the 20 that is on her karma, but seriously, using an animal as a money milking tool, that disgusted me totally, and if she would have been really concerned, she would not have tied the cat up where dogs usually get walked past

You are my hero! I would have done the same thing. You don't mess with animals or treat them as useful tools. Shame on those people.

Reactions: sdkitty and Gabs007
I wouldn't have judged her if she would have just begged and then spent the money on booze, but tying the cat up outside with no regards, sod her, this was cruel

If she cared for the kitty at all she wouldn't have treated it like that. It makes you wonder if it actually belonged to hers or if she took it from somewhere to get more sympathy when she was begging for money.

Reactions: sdkitty and Gabs007