Covid-19 Quarantine Beauty Tips

RueHermes

Feb 20, 2016
The world is in some type of “stay at home” order. I thought it would be nice for people (and maybe some of the professional hair, skin, nail friends on this site) to post tips on how to keep ourselves looking decent during this pandemic. Tips on: Exercising, eating well, hair care, face care, manicures and pedicures, teeth whitening, staying happy... let’s all come together and get through this and then let’s remember to support our hair stylists, nail salons, estheticians once this is over. They help us look beautiful.

I’ll start. I am trying to make sure to use a mask a few times a week to combat dryness, flaky skin etc. Trying to drink matcha tea and green tea and incorporate some greens (spinach and kale) in a smoothie or salad every day.

Reactions: taho and euro-luxe
We happened to get peloton about a month before all this went down and we’ve really been loving it. Besides the bike and cycling the app has great yoga and stretching videos. I am recovering from injury (part of why we got the bike) so I have to do low impact activities and the pool is closed. Normally at home I will do Zumba videos on YouTube or even those just dance videos can help you work out and that’s free!

I’d love to know the best thing for gel nails - mine are two weeks old and passable but soon I’ll have to take it off myself (or fill it? Seems impossible).

Early on I also ordered two bottles of lime crime unicorn hair for fun. I’m brunette but had some blond highlights so those are now dark pink. It’s subtle and washes out. I’ll do purple next. It’s gentle on my hair. Something fun to pass the time or experiment since we’re not going to work!

I also love henna to cover grays to match my natural hair color but don’t use it if you typically go to the salon - it can interfere with some of their products (I think just if you are lightening your hair but just a disclaimer!)

I have a skin peel that I hesitate to use while at work regularly. I don't peel much, but I can sometimes get flaky. Now is the perfect time to do it so I don't have to worry about flaky skin in public. I'm really missing my waxing appointments, though. I can take care of legs and underarms at home, but I've never been able to do the bikini area myself (not necessarily due to pain, but I can just never get it to work, even with hard wax).

My hands have grown super-chapped from all the hand-washing. I've been slathering on the German version of Nivea crème. This is the original version of Nivea and you can find it for about $10 for a big tin on Amazon. It's thick like axle grease while the American version is watery. I rarely use it because it's so heavy with glycerin but nowadays it feels good. It's close in texture to Eucerine's Aquaphor but much heavier if you can imagine.

Between hand washing and sanitizing at work my hands are rough I’m trying to consistently moisturize them. I salon I get my facials at has a brand of lotion that I love for my hands. Unfortunately they didn’t have any when I went I ordered a tube but who knows when I’ll actually get it. I got a new grocery store brand that seems to be working well okeeffes working hands in a tube.

I’m trying to do more moisturizing conditioning treatments for my hair. I normally wash my hair 3 times a week now I’m washing it every day after I get home from work. Which ultimately means I have to blow dry it as well (which I rarely do) every wash. Otherwise I’d end up going to bed with wet hair and waking up to some seriously funky looking hair in the morning. My hair is long and thick so it takes forever to air dry.

I also removed my gel polish. I haven’t done my nails in forever, but I was happy I didn’t toss my tools I only had to buy some acetone. I’m hoping to keep the shape as long as I can but will probably not last as long as I would like because of the constant hand washing and cleaning. I’m surprised I’ve lasted as long as I have since I removed the gel polish.IMG_20200327_170429.jpg

So far I've done two weeks of staying at home with a trip to the store in between and I try to use that time to improve my appearance.

I'm not wearing any makeup and try to wash my hair less often and just put it in a bun on the last day. I'm still washing my face and doing face masks like I used to before this whole lockdown thing started. Helps keep my skin nice and my mood as well.

Had an opened jar of body scrub sitting on my shelf, finally tried it and my skin was definitely grateful for that.

Also, I eat healthily (although seriously craving some fried potatoes right now!! :-s Thank goodness I don't have any and it's not time to go grocery shopping yet) and exercise regularly.

All in all, I think all those things - even just taking a shower and dressing in clean clothes - are important not only to our physical health but our mental one, too.

Also, I eat healthily (although seriously craving some fried potatoes right now!! :-s Thank goodness I don't have any and it's not time to go grocery shopping yet) and exercise regularly.

All in all, I think all those things - even just taking a shower and dressing in clean clothes - are important not only to our physical health but our mental one, too.

:tup: Precisely! It’s practically our duty now to stay healthy, mentally & physically. I try to eat healthily (though my biscuit intake is alarmingly high. ) But I do yoga and go for a walk every day.
Also hands get very dry from the constant washing and I use a rich hand & nail cream every evening.

Also hands get very dry from the constant washing and I use a rich hand & nail cream every evening.
I use hand cream several times throughout the day - my hands were super dry this winter for some reason, don't know why. But I kinda got used to it, so now, even with the more frequent and more thorough washing, I use hand cream just as often as before and my hands are actually OK.