Covering your tracks?

When I was married I made 4x my husband's salary, so I pretty bought what I wanted. Occasionally I would hide a purchase just to avoid being hassled by him about it. Sometimes I lie to friends etc about how much a bag cost as I don't want to get the "I cannot believe you spent that much on a purse" reaction

When I was married I made 4x my husband's salary, so I pretty bought what I wanted. Occasionally I would hide a purchase just to avoid being hassled by him about it. Sometimes I lie to friends etc about how much a bag cost as I don't want to get the "I cannot believe you spent that much on a purse" reaction

Yep. That's sort of my situation. I make more than DH, and my friends would never understand. I quickly learned my lesson when I bought my first (and still only) Coach. I didn't get the reaction I expected from a friend so from now on I just keep quiet.

For the last 3yr or so I have been addicted to Gymboree clothing for our granddaughter. I way overbuy & spent alot of $$. He got really tired of me talking about Gymboree & asking if he liked this or that outfit. Well, now I am addicted to Coach. I talk about it all the time. I shop the good sales at Dillard's & Macy's. I show him everything & ask his opinion. He kinda ignors me!!!! He HATES shopping & anything to do with shopping. I guess it pays to have a hubby who tunes me out when it comes to shopping.

I used to try to cover my tracks at the start of our marriage...I was kind of embarrassed about my addiction! Now that we're an "old" married couple (9 years and counting), I don't hide anything! It got too stressful and I felt so guilty...he's grown to accept it now. He loves long car trips, so he actually gets excited when I ask him to drive me 70 miles to our nearest outlet!!

I haven't hidden anything from my husband. We do have separate credit cards, but joint checking. I pay my Discover off every month (with rare exception, like the month I bought a new North Face vest and two FP Coach bags.. eek!) with our checking account, so he can see exactly how much I charged in any given month. And he bought me that Peyton, knowing full well what it cost.

I wouldn't call him an enabler, but he agrees I deserve nice things, and I don't put up a fuss about his boat parts or arcade games (he restores them). We sort of reign each other in on our respective spending habits, LOL.

It would be too stressful to try and hide my bags. My mom likes to get something new, then hide it for a month. If Dad notices it, and asks if it's new, she then can say "No", then act like he's so insensitive for not having noticed before.. LOL!

My hubby comes with me to Coach Outlet and he does the driving. He doesn't mind that I indulge in Coach and we go shopping for jeans and stuff for him whenever we go out to Riverhead so we make it a joint shopping trip. I never hide any of my shopping from him. I think honesty is the best policy so you don't have any secrets from each other.

i have to do that and hide stuff from my mom and little brother, but it never works i always hear "are you kidding me, you got another new bag?" they're not very supportive of my "addiction" :P

God no, I'm the polar opposite. My DH actually comes to the store with me and helps me pick out my new bags and is aware of the cost of Coach. TBH, I would have a hard time being in a relationship where I felt I had to hide anything from my DH. But he also has his things - cars and golf, we support each other's interests and don't go overboard with our interests. I've been into Coach since last July and have about 7 bags and 11 accessories, which is completely acceptable for us.

Ditto what Crissy said. My DH has his Jeeps and Guns. He even helps me when I am undecided. He has excellent taste!

I love when my husband helps me decide! When I sent back the Madison Carryall, he sat with me on the Coach website and helped me pick what to exchange it for.

I hate to admit this but.....
I have to smuggle my Coach in via a Kohls bag or Target bag!
I am single and living with my parents right now to save money!! LOL If my mom looked in my closet, she would have a heart attack at all my Coach bags and the money that I have spent!!!! (Luckily she doesn't know what Coach is and the cost~~~) I have bought clothes too that she will comment on. She will say "is that new?" I will say no and she will say " what two days old?" I will say two weeks! LOL (It is new - a day old!!) Other times, she will ask about something that I have had for years.

Lynne :biggrin:

This is perfect timing, lol. My peyton collection has grown a lot in a very short period of time (they're kinda big) and I don't want to flatten them; so now I an running out of space to put them. My guy knows I am a Coach gal, but he doesn't know all the details of what I own. He knows there not cheap so I have to kind of bring them out slowly, one at a time. He says he doesn't care if I shop, but I know we have two totally different types of shopping habits. Plus I my collection is all leather, with lots of Legacy so I know he wouldnt want to see the tags on those.

My bf is so shocked when he sees the price tags on my Coach bags. I then have to explain that it was "50% off of that price, and 20% off of that". He knows that most of my bags are at least $200 though. I don't hide it from him but I do sometimes wish he wasn't home when I come home with my shopping bags because I feel a bit ashamed!