Courier charges from US to Hong Kong

kelly88

O.G.
Jul 25, 2007
I am in the midst of purchasing several SLG from a US boutique worth USD1400 and have them courier it to Hong Kong. However, I was shocked when informed that courier charges would be US187 - 13.35% of the cost of my goods. On top of that, I still need to pay duties and taxes.

Bottega Veneta only charges USD50 for courier of several bags to Hong Kong.

Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks

sorry i'm not sure why you would have to pay taxes? hk is a tax-free port so no import taxes and usa doesn't charge taxes on exports either.... i think H uses their own special courier (someone mentioned this in another thread) and so the costs are higher.

I have paid upwards of USD250 for shipping from US Hermes boutiques to Asia. Your shipping fees are normal.

BV shipping depends on the boutique and the SA you use. For example, Hawaii BV charges exact shipping by USPS, which is usually more than USD50, and USPS is a lot cheaper than courier companies. BV Palazzo Las Vegas sends by UPS and charges upwards of USD150 for a medium veneta. So it is not true that all US BV boutiques ship for only USD50. Quite often, it is the BV SA who actually absorbs part of the shipping as a service to customers, but as far as I know, Hermes does not practice this.

I thought HK was tax-free as well? The shipping fees you pay to Hermes should include customs clearance fees and delivery to your doorstep, and since HK has no consumption tax, there should not be additional charges.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how BV can charge only US$50 for shipping several bags to HK? From my personal experience shipping from the US to Asia, the $187 sounds pretty reasonable to me, especially if it is a few items with box included.

Like the others have said, HK is duty-free, you will not be charged duties & taxes. Perhaps the charges are for packaging & insurance, why don't you ask for a detailed breakdown of the costs involved.

I'm not sure how BV can charge only US$50 for shipping several bags to HK?

It depends on the SA and if you can sweet-talk him/her. A friend of mine managed to get 5 bags from BV Atlantic City shipped to Asia for only USD50, because she to the SA that was what another BV boutique promised her. The original shipping fee quoted was much higher. The BV SAs work on commission, so it is possible that the SA decided that her commission was worth more than the difference in shipping. BV probably also gives some leeway to their SAs in such matters, whilst I am pretty sure H does not.

i had no idea you could buy bags over the phone and get them shipped to you!
will they post birkins if you pay over the phone?
im finding it impossible to find what i want in australia..

kelly88, US187 for shipping for "Several SLG" is very reasonable. They need a big box to hold all the boxes for your SLGs. Even USPS charges around US120 for EMS shipping a birkin size box to Asia. and Hermes does not use USPS so for them to quote you US187 sounds pretty fair to me. Hong Kong is a free port, you do not need to pay duties and taxes.

I once ordered a TPM Ulysse and a horn scarf ring (I'm in Europe) from a H store in the US and I think that I paid 75 USD for the shipping (+ VAT which is 25% were I live).