Couples that dress alike... Me vs. DH

Mia Bella

O.G.
Mar 27, 2008
Ok, I need some help from the ladies (and gents) of tPF. DH and I have had an ongoing battle about what constitutes matching couples.

For example: He and I wear a lot of black. He thinks that if we both wear black pants and black tops we'll look like we're trying to match each other. He will either change his shirt to a colored one before we leave or ask me if I can change mine, which I never do :biggrin:. He thinks it's cheesy and he envisions us as that couple who wears matching denim shorts and American flag shirts. :lol:

I, on the other hand, believe that this isn't matching at all! I consider matching to occur when both people wear pieces that are alike/identical or the exact same color combinations like red top/matching denim-wash bottoms/white shoes. Some other examples:

matchingoutfit.jpg
250pxkoreancouplewithma.jpg

This counts too because it shows the outfits were premeditated:

matchingkatemoss.jpg

Black is a neutral that everyone wears and I don't think people take a moments thought when they see a couple in all black. After 6 years of marriage (7 together) I still haven't been able to convince him otherwise!

What do you think? I'll be showing all responses to DH so we can settle this once and for all. ;)

Your DH sounds like me!! I feel cheesy if i realize my hubby and I have on the same color and have been guilty of changing:shame:. So would say hubby wins BUT before he gets too excited, I hardly wear black (and so have never faced this scenario with black). Black just may be the exception to the rule.

Ok, I need some help from the ladies (and gents) of tPF. DH and I have had an ongoing battle about what constitutes matching couples.

For example: He and I wear a lot of black. He thinks that if we both wear black pants and black tops we'll look like we're trying to match each other. He will either change his shirt to a colored one before we leave or ask me if I can change mine, which I never do :biggrin:. He thinks it's cheesy and he envisions us as that couple who wears matching denim shorts and American flag shirts. :lol:

I, on the other hand, believe that this isn't matching at all! I consider matching to occur when both people wear pieces that are alike/identical or the exact same color combinations like red top/matching denim-wash bottoms/white shoes. Some other examples:

matchingoutfit.jpg
250pxkoreancouplewithma.jpg

This counts too because it shows the outfits were premeditated:

matchingkatemoss.jpg

Black is a neutral that everyone wears and I don't think people take a moments thought when they see a couple in all black. After 6 years of marriage (7 together) I still haven't been able to convince him otherwise!

What do you think? I'll be showing all responses to DH so we can settle this once and for all. ;)

for certain occasions, we might try to look like we're going to the same party..especially if it's a photo heavy event.. so if I'm doing a bright colored dress, for example, he might do a black or gray suit with a bright tie..something like that.

but to intentionally, match... no.. but like AEGIS said, if it happens that way, neither of us change.

I think that even wearing too much of the same colors, but not necessarily the same styles, could be considered "matching." DH or I might change if we feel our outfits are too similar. In most cases, DH knows that I put more effort into my outfits, so he will change. I think that if you are both wearing all black, it does look pretty matchy-matchy.

Dh's and my styles are so completely different that it is unlikely that anyone would accuse us of "matching" even if we wore the same colours! Honestly, I cannot imagine anything I'd wear that he could even come close to matching, because even if I go casual and wear jeans and a black top I would wear a scarf or a different coat or something to break up the boredom of the outfit. And he rarely wears black anyway. There was one party we went to that had a theme, so we both wore red on top (it was almost mandated because it was a work function) but that is the ONLY time I can remember this happening.

I agree with you Mia!!! :biggrin:

matching = intentional

If you just wear something that you both like, it just means you guys have the same style. Not to mention that black is sooooo common...

oh my dh and i both wore the same type of hat the other day..mine was a tweedy pink and his was a dark brown or something ....we did not change our hats though lol

I have come to the conclusion that a couple that has been together for a while starts to think alike LOL! On occasion, I have found that independently, DH and I are wearing similar colors when going to the same event or out to dinner etc. Only once, did I think I should change, knowing that he certainly would not do that, but in the end I did not. I do know an elderly couple who come to my office who make it a point of doing the matching outfit. They always match their colors and style. It is cute when you are 80 :smile:

I have come to the conclusion that a couple that has been together for a while starts to think alike LOL! On occasion, I have found that independently, DH and I are wearing similar colors when going to the same event or out to dinner etc. Only once, did I think I should change, knowing that he certainly would not do that, but in the end I did not. I do know an elderly couple who come to my office who make it a point of doing the matching outfit. They always match their colors and style. It is cute when you are 80 :smile:

my BF and I are like this--we unintentionally match quite often! Of course, since we started dating, his style has evolved quite a bit (thanks to me), so he's rocking better brands and fits than he had been previously.

Wearing matching black just means you two are super cool

My dh doesn't look good in black -- I would have loved for the both of us to wear all black, esp black moto/biker jackets. My dh and I were on the commuter train and we must have wore similar work outfits, the conductor gave us some kind of passes to a local club and all he said "two tickets for two cool cats" LOL!