Travel Countries You're Not Bothered About Ever Visiting....

India and China at the top of the list
Australia (not because of spiders but because I'm not sure I'd enjoy a trip which envolves so much nature and very long distances between cities)
South America
Some countries in the Eastern part of Europe (think of Bulgaria or the former USSR countries, even though I heard great things about Estonia)

Curious to know why people would skip Italy during an European trip!

India and China at the top of the list
Australia (not because of spiders but because I'm not sure I'd enjoy a trip which envolves so much nature and very long distances between cities)
South America
Some countries in the Eastern part of Europe (think of Bulgaria or the former USSR countries, even though I heard great things about Estonia)

Curious to know why people would skip Italy during an European trip!

Before I'd been to Italy I was a bit puzzled when travelers told me Italy was their favorite country in Europe. Once I'd been there (2 weeks barely scratched the surface) I could understand why Italy is such a favorite. Its regions are very different but I never ran across anyone who wasn't helpful and friendly. The history, the architecture, the art, the scenery, the shopping, the food--not a single thing I didn't love. And if I'm lucky I'll get to return for a more in-depth trip.

If you go, you'll understand why people love Italy.

Reactions: LoverField
[/B]

Before I'd been to Italy I was a bit puzzled when travelers told me Italy was their favorite country in Europe. Once I'd been there (2 weeks barely scratched the surface) I could understand why Italy is such a favorite. Its regions are very different but I never ran across anyone who wasn't helpful and friendly. The history, the architecture, the art, the scenery, the shopping, the food--not a single thing I didn't love. And if I'm lucky I'll get to return for a more in-depth trip.

Thanks Boxermom!! Well, actually I'm Italian so I know all the different features of our country. Food recipes and dialects can vary within 20 kms, for the same dish every family has its own recipe, really!

Reactions: boxermom
LOL!!!!!! I'm sorry, but as an Aussie this is hilarious! If you come for a visit I think you would be lucky to see a 'dinner plate sized spider'. To be honest, I don't think I'VE ever seen one!

But then again, most Americans who haven't been to Australia think we are riding around the cities on the backs of kangaroos!?!?! :lol: :lol:

And a lot of people outside Europe think that Denmark is the capital of Sweden 😊

There are so many misunderstandings out there 😊

[/B]

LOL, yes. I had to take a cab from Termini to my hotel (there was a subway strike) and my cab driver basically gave me a lesson in Italian pronunciation (I kept pronouncing the street names the "Spanish way"). Kind of a nice introduction to Rome.

And a lot of people outside Europe think that Denmark is the capital of Sweden 😊

There are so many misunderstandings out there 😊
What a bunch of dummies!
Everyone knows the capital of Sweden is Ikea.
And the capital of Denmark is Lego, isn't it? :biggrin:

(I kid, I kid. Two of my top five countries, ever)

[/B]

I was lost (as usual), after arriving in Rome. I sat on a curb to check my map.
A butcher came running out of his shop, carrying a chair for me!
He explained that ladies don't sit on the street. Then, he helped me with directions.
It was one of the most touching experiences & so kind.

Reactions: boxermom
Countries I am not interested in visiting....

Pakistan
Afghanistan (most countries ending in --stan actually)
Most of Africa
Bangladesh

I have traveled to nearly thirty countries, but the above hold no interest for me at all although admittedly mostly from a security perspective.

No offense intended to anyone!

I was lost (as usual), after arriving in Rome. I sat on a curb to check my map.
A butcher came running out of his shop, carrying a chair for me!
He explained that ladies don't sit on the street. Then, he helped me with directions.
It was one of the most touching experiences & so kind.

That's a wonderful story.

I was told not to go to the Netherlands because the people are rude and unfriendly. We found the exact opposite to be the case. We also had a *lost* episode there, and a young man getting on his bike came over to help us. Everywhere we went the Dutch people were friendly and helpful. We loved them. I believe if the traveler goes with an open attitude, accepting that there will be differences, it makes every encounter better.