Counterfeiters busted!

I was really happy to see this in my local newspaper today. It's nice to see the fakers getting punished!

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/nassau/ny-lifake125647437apr12,0,4065593.story

Couple charged with trafficking counterfeit goods

BY JOSEPH MALLIA AND MATTHEW CHAYES | [email protected]; [email protected] April 12, 2008

Call the fashion police.

A Roslyn couple who authorities say trafficked in more than $2 million worth of phony Burberry, Gucci, Coach, Louis Vuitton and other luxury labels are now modeling no-frills jail couture, accused of felony trademark counterfeiting.

Rakesh Kumar, 50, and his wife, Poonam, 45, of Center Drive are being held on $100,000 cash bail at the Suffolk jail on charges of buying and selling high-end counterfeit handbags, clothing and shoes, authorities said.

The couple warehoused the merchandise at a Farmingdale building, Suffolk police said. They were arrested Thursday by detectives from the Suffolk district attorney's office, Suffolk Fifth Precinct officers and state police investigators.

With warrants, police searched the couple's home and their business, Globe Enterprises. There, the police seized luxury handbags, clothing, shoes and other knockoff merchandise bearing the counterfeit marks.

The trademarks involved also included Enyce, Lacoste, Polo, Rocawear, Prada, Chanel, Ray-Ban, Kanga, MLB, NFL, NBA and Coogi Jeans.

Records seized by the police show Globe Enterprises and other Kumar-operated businesses made more than 200 payments totaling $1.5 million from January 2007 through February 2008 to wholesale distributors of fake merchandise, Spota said in a statement.

During the search of the couple's Roslyn home, authorities seized approximately $150,000 in cash and financial records, the police said.

The couple are facing charges of felony trademark counterfeiting and misdemeanor criminal simulation. They face a maximum of 5 to 15 years in prison if convicted.

The couple are facing charges of felony trademark counterfeiting and misdemeanor criminal simulation. They face a maximum of 5 to 15 years in prison if convicted.

They're counterfiters..not murderers or rapist. Do they really HAVE to go to prison for this?

They're counterfiters..not murderers or rapist. Do they really HAVE to go to prison for this?

I agree. I obviously disagree with the selling of fakes, but there are worse things people could be (and are) doing that they are not punished for fairly. I always see articles where people have physically hurt other people (severely) and are spending less time in jail.