Counterfeit

I loathe fakes. And I loathe people who buy them. Not only do they cheapen the brand.. they fund a horrific industry.

If you cant afford it, save up or go without. There are plenty of elegant leather handbags that look amazinng and are non designer to fit everyones budget.

Fake Chanel, fake Hermes, fake Cartier.. it just makes you look cheap. Its like driving a stolen car or lying and saying your 4 year old's art on the wall is picasso.

Personally I can always tell a fake from a real bag. It can be good but it is never good enough. I see them daily and trust me the women never have enough class or confidence to pull them off.

^ Yes ITA there is something a little "off" about a person carrying a fake.
There are plenty of decent bags you can get for the price of a good fake.

Or get a Michael Kors. So many of his designs look like the real thing. There is something very liberating about MK. He has commodotized many designs into the mainstream market. Before MK, rose gold watches were never low-key.

I know there are a lot of bad fakes..
But the thing is these bags are really really good!!
They even dare to walk in a chanel store with it...
They use them like on our main shopping street (PC hoofdstraat) but also a few people I know admitted they buy one or two authentic product and then a few fakes to switch it up..
I think this is horrible.. Especially when the quality is really good... Soft leather same hardware...

Really? I'm intrigued...never come across them. Then again I hardly know any other ladies who have Chanel, and they only have real ones.
I must say I have been seeing a lot more Chanel recently in my neighbourhood, but would never guess what's real or not. Haven't been paying much attention.

Really? I'm intrigued...never come across them. Then again I hardly know any other ladies who have Chanel, and they only have real ones.
I must say I have been seeing a lot more Chanel recently in my neighbourhood, but would never guess what's real or not. Haven't been paying much attention.

Fakes are so good that we do not authenticate most Classic 2.55 or Reissue flaps in 15 million series or higher in the ATC thread

It's little wonder: "Nationwide, handbags and wallets comprised the greatest number of counterfeit items seized by CBP last year, with the value of seizures up 142 percent compared to 2011. Of the approximately $511 million in handbags and wallets seized, more than $446 million came from China."

"From knockoffs of designer Kate Spade handbags to pirated DVDs, Al Qaeda and other terrorist groups increasingly are turning to counterfeit goods to fund their operations, lawmakers were told Wednesday."

COUNTERFEIT GOODS

Counterfeit goods may have a reputation for poor design, unsafe parts and toxic elements, but consumers don’t seem to mind.

No country has been associated with dangerous knockoffs more often than China. According to US Customs & Border Protection data, more than 75 percent of counterfeit goods seized between 2004 and 2009 were manufactured there. Apparently, people love a bargain, and they don’t mind taking a risk to get one.

Despite the risks, it’s easy to see why counterfeit goods are appealing. The customer gets what looks like a Louis Vuitton handbag for $50 instead of $2500, and if anything shady happened on its way from the factory to the hawker’s table, the buyer usually doesn’t know about it. This allows most people to assume that counterfeiting is a victimless crime. The truth, however, is a different story.

You might want to print this off and give it to your friend the next time you meet:

"Illegal Products and Illegal Labor

A counterfeit product is often created in a sweatshop, in violation of child labor laws, anti-sweatshop laws and basic human rights. Dana Thomas, described the conditions she witnessed in sweatshops in her 2007 book Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster.

"I remember walking into an assembly plant in Thailand a couple of years ago and seeing six or seven little children, all under 10 years old, sitting on the floor assembling counterfeit leather handbags. The owners had broken the children's legs and tied the lower leg to the thigh so the bones wouldn't mend. [They] did it because the children said they wanted to go outside and play. "

"According to the International Trademark Association’s Alan Drewsen, this type of exploitation of minors is par for the course at counterfeit clothing factories. "There are issues of child labor in a lot of these plants around the world," he told the New York Daily News.

Shoppers Beware

It’s not only the labor force that is exposed to unsafe conditions. On “Counterfeit Alley,” a strip of Broadway south of 34th Street in Manhattan, a sidewalk bazaar operates that’s thick with vendors selling scarves, DVD’s and NFL T-shirts. But the real action is in the office buildings lining the street. Inside, makeshift boutiques have been set up selling counterfeit clothing, jewelry, compact discs and more.

It is common for the shoppers to be locked into these showrooms until they make a purchase. According to John Feinblatt, New York City’s criminal justice coordinator, this is not just a consumer protection issue, but also a public safety issue. “These buildings violate every code in the book, the exit signs are obliterated, or the fire exits are locked or blocked by boxes of merchandise. They’re firetraps," he told the New York Times.

The shoppers in these buildings know that they’re getting bogus goods, but many people who purchase counterfeit products do so unknowingly. According to Susan Scafidi, a Fordham University law professor, the Internet has made the sale of counterfeit goods more widespread than ever, as consumers using this retail channel can’t verify the authenticity of the product they’re buying."

http://www.cnbc.com/id/38229835#.

:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:
Great post tutu! Most people who buy counterfeits, either don't realise the implication of their action or they just find it more comfortable to ignore the facts. In London it's usually teenagers from the suburbs carrying fakes- they are not good at all, clearly fake.:cool:

"I remember walking into an assembly plant in Thailand a couple of years ago and seeing six or seven little children, all under 10 years old, sitting on the floor assembling counterfeit leather handbags. The owners had broken the children's legs and tied the lower leg to the thigh so the bones wouldn't mend. [They] did it because the children said they wanted to go outside and play. "

This literally makes me sick to my stomach!!!

The problem is only getting worse with the evolution of internet shopping. The sellers pushing the fake bags can hide behind their computer screen. They don't have to be one of those shady guys on the street pushing their fake bags. If they get shut down on the internet, they just open a new website with a different name.

I even came across one claiming to be Saks! Here's a link to discussion:
http://forum.purseblog.com/general-shopping/buyer-beware-874690.html

They don't have to be one of those shady guys on the street pushing their fake bags.

the sick thing is here in amsterdam, the "shady guys" who are selling are woman mid 30´s with children..
just so that anyone can pretend to have things they don´t, the thing is it´s not only chanel, but also jewelry such as cartier...

i totally agree with the fact that you can buy very pretty brandless or less expensive bags.
and I never ever would support fakes not only due to the bad circumstances they are made is but aswel pretending something I´m not, be orriginal and make it work your own way..
Don´t be a sheep just because celebrities carry them..

I heard that when LV had factories in China (I don't know if they still have), some of the 'special fakes' were done by the employees as a side job (using the same quality materials).

I could say that all Chanel fakes I see on the street are cheap replicas, but do I really know how to clearly identify a 'super fake'? Probably not!

The biggest concern online is with bait and switch. People steal images from Malleries (where sellers are not allowed to use watermarks, even ones that say Malleries, to prevent image theft from counterfeiters) and other sites, and an unassuming buyer will buy the item and then receive something entirely different.

The biggest concern online is with bait and switch. People steal images from Malleries (where sellers are not allowed to use watermarks, even ones that say Malleries, to prevent image theft from counterfeiters) and other sites, and an unassuming buyer will buy the item and then receive something entirely different.

Exactly. The photos of the fakes are amazing as they are often real photos. But I have never seen a fake IRL that didn't look fake.

It's just the risk of buying a bag online that would lead me to have something authenticated due to the stress of trying to get my money back if the photos turned out to be edited. But I know that once it would arrive, if it was fake... I would know!! :lol:

Guys i asked my friend to send me a picture of a Chanel bag from somebody who admitted buying fakes.. I don't know but I wouldn't spot the difference maybe I don't know what to look for !
This is only 500 euroImageUploadedByPurseForum1408464023.300264.jpg

Guys i asked my friend to send me a picture of a Chanel bag from somebody who admitted buying fakes.. I don't know but I wouldn't spot the difference maybe I don't know what to look for !
This is only 500 euroView attachment 2723869

Wow, maybe if you looked inside? I dunno I dislike this fake industry. People need to consider their health and what they are funding. Yes, child labor and also think that all the materials being used could harm you. They did a special on 20/20 about this. Buying jewelry and fake makeup and people actually got sick due to mercury poisoning. Do you really know what the chain of the purse is made of or the ingredients in the makeup?

This is only 500 euroView attachment 2723869

Perhaps, here's a wild and crazy idea...instead of asking for photos, send them what I posted and let them be educated to what they are promoting. Surely, even in other countries, they don't find it "okay" to let children be abused and mutilated just to make them a cheap fake bag??

Well honestly counterfeit bags are all over... Here in NYC they abound more than one
would like to admit...and just not Chanels

Yes, they do. They have the "fake fakes" that sell on the table and the "better fakes" hidden in bags under the table. The last time I was there I saw a guy hawking his wares to tourists in the mid day, and saw him hauled off by police towards the end of the day. One less seller for part of a day; celebrate the small steps.