Counterfeit

Funny enough we just switched to 'Nieuwsuur' and they just had an item on a counterfeit problem at the Beverwijkse Bazaar which also showed multiple Chanel fakes - might be of interest for the Dutchies here to look at.

I know there are a lot of bad fakes..
But the thing is these bags are really really good!!
They even dare to walk in a chanel store with it...
They use them like on our main shopping street (PC hoofdstraat) but also a few people I know admitted they buy one or two authentic product and then a few fakes to switch it up..
I think this is horrible.. Especially when the quality is really good... Soft leather same hardware...

Funny enough we just switched to 'Nieuwsuur' and they just had an item on a counterfeit problem at the Beverwijkse Bazaar which also showed multiple Chanel fakes - might be of interest for the Dutchies here to look at.

I will check that out....
I always state if you can't afford it... There are plenty of really pretty less expensive pieces to dress stylish..
And as you state the conditions for these employees are horrible..

I talked this over with my friends today and we guess in Amsterdam these ladies just use these pieces as an sort of act to show how good they're doing when actually they pay 300 euros for it

I sat next to a lady wearing a bad fake and ripped LV bag during a conference. I was feeling so uncomfortable, but zipped my lips without making any comments. The worst part is she turned to me during break time asking me where did I get my Chanel, as it was made so "real looking". I told her I purchased the bag at a Chanel boutique and it is authentic.
Awkward moment!

Okay ya that is really awkward lol

I sat next to a lady wearing a bad fake and ripped LV bag during a conference. I was feeling so uncomfortable, but zipped my lips without making any comments. The worst part is she turned to me during break time asking me where did I get my Chanel, as it was made so "real looking". I told her I purchased the bag at a Chanel boutique and it is authentic.
Awkward moment!

Hilarious :roflmfao:

I saw that ABC special on the "super fake" epidemic.... I don't know what bags they were labelling as "super fake" but they definitely still looked fake....I have seen some pretty convincing replica boys but spotting a fake classic flap is pretty easy. There's always something "off".

I will check that out....
I always state if you can't afford it... There are plenty of really pretty less expensive pieces to dress stylish..
And as you state the conditions for these employees are horrible..

I talked this over with my friends today and we guess in Amsterdam these ladies just use these pieces as an sort of act to show how good they're doing when actually they pay 300 euros for it

Actually, what they are showing is they are ignorant of all of the bad things they are supporting by buying a counterfeit bag: child labor, terrorism, and so much more. It sounds like they need educating about the woes of promoting the horrendous acts behind the counterfeits.

My friend just told me her boy is made in China. To tell you the truth I can't even tell...that it's fake.

It's little wonder: "Nationwide, handbags and wallets comprised the greatest number of counterfeit items seized by CBP last year, with the value of seizures up 142 percent compared to 2011. Of the approximately $511 million in handbags and wallets seized, more than $446 million came from China."

"From knockoffs of designer Kate Spade handbags to pirated DVDs, Al Qaeda and other terrorist groups increasingly are turning to counterfeit goods to fund their operations, lawmakers were told Wednesday."

COUNTERFEIT GOODS

Counterfeit goods may have a reputation for poor design, unsafe parts and toxic elements, but consumers don’t seem to mind.

No country has been associated with dangerous knockoffs more often than China. According to US Customs & Border Protection data, more than 75 percent of counterfeit goods seized between 2004 and 2009 were manufactured there. Apparently, people love a bargain, and they don’t mind taking a risk to get one.

Despite the risks, it’s easy to see why counterfeit goods are appealing. The customer gets what looks like a Louis Vuitton handbag for $50 instead of $2500, and if anything shady happened on its way from the factory to the hawker’s table, the buyer usually doesn’t know about it. This allows most people to assume that counterfeiting is a victimless crime. The truth, however, is a different story.

You might want to print this off and give it to your friend the next time you meet:

"Illegal Products and Illegal Labor

A counterfeit product is often created in a sweatshop, in violation of child labor laws, anti-sweatshop laws and basic human rights. Dana Thomas, described the conditions she witnessed in sweatshops in her 2007 book Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster.

"I remember walking into an assembly plant in Thailand a couple of years ago and seeing six or seven little children, all under 10 years old, sitting on the floor assembling counterfeit leather handbags. The owners had broken the children's legs and tied the lower leg to the thigh so the bones wouldn't mend. [They] did it because the children said they wanted to go outside and play. "

"According to the International Trademark Association’s Alan Drewsen, this type of exploitation of minors is par for the course at counterfeit clothing factories. "There are issues of child labor in a lot of these plants around the world," he told the New York Daily News.

Shoppers Beware

It’s not only the labor force that is exposed to unsafe conditions. On “Counterfeit Alley,” a strip of Broadway south of 34th Street in Manhattan, a sidewalk bazaar operates that’s thick with vendors selling scarves, DVD’s and NFL T-shirts. But the real action is in the office buildings lining the street. Inside, makeshift boutiques have been set up selling counterfeit clothing, jewelry, compact discs and more.

It is common for the shoppers to be locked into these showrooms until they make a purchase. According to John Feinblatt, New York City’s criminal justice coordinator, this is not just a consumer protection issue, but also a public safety issue. “These buildings violate every code in the book, the exit signs are obliterated, or the fire exits are locked or blocked by boxes of merchandise. They’re firetraps," he told the New York Times.

The shoppers in these buildings know that they’re getting bogus goods, but many people who purchase counterfeit products do so unknowingly. According to Susan Scafidi, a Fordham University law professor, the Internet has made the sale of counterfeit goods more widespread than ever, as consumers using this retail channel can’t verify the authenticity of the product they’re buying."

http://www.cnbc.com/id/38229835#.

I think culturally in different countries there are different attitudes towards counterfeits.

There are cultures like in Korea where counterfeit is widely accepted and not shunned (to carry; of course still illegal to sell brand new counterfeits).

For example if you go to a board you will notice fake Chanel's and real Chanel's are sold side by side in a forum, sometimes by the same seller.

It is odd from an American perspective, being in the US. But in Korea it is totally normal. If you are on the street with a Chanel flap or LV, people ASSUME it is fake and if you say it is real they will raise an eyebrow.

The ironic and very funny thing about it though, is that when counterfeits and authentics coexist as acceptable in the market, there is this ironic and unexpected transparency in what is offered.

Nobody tries to sell the fake as the real thing. They may try to hype up the "class" of fake it is or use euphemisms (eg equivelant of "mirror image" vs "fake") but nobody will try to pawn off a fake as the real deal. And that is how they end up coexisting on these boards....

Just such a fascinating dynamic I noticed.

From the trademark ownership perspective and also knowing what I know about how the industry is crooked makes it impossible for me to even remotely endorse the resale of fakes. But it is interesting to note the different social acceptance levels and measures country to country.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't noticed any superfakes in my city. Even if they are "mirror image" or whatever, there is always something off about them.
People are willing to buy and carry fakes but refuse to purchase anything else made in Asia, particularly from China. They claim that goods from China are made in inhumane conditions and that labour laws and regulations are corrupt. And yet they carry fakes, how hypocritical.

Unfortunately, counterfeits are everywhere :sad:

Personally, I feel that as long as I know that the ones I have is real, I could care less about what other people are carrying or think about my bags. :smile:

I feel the same - BUT I hate the industry with a vengeance - not just because it is dishonest but the child/slave labour it also has associated with it.

Awkward moment!

Seriously?? Nothing awkward about that - I would LOVE that to happen :graucho:
Put them back in their box !!