Counterfeit handbags seized at L.A. port

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. #1 Aug 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2008
    08/20/2008 01:24:21 AM PDT

LOS ANGELES—Federal authorities say they have seized nearly 80,000 phony handbags with various labels as they arrived from China at the Port of Los Angeles.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol agents said Tuesday that the six containers of contraband had been marked for search before they arrived.
    Customs spokeswoman Cristina Gamez says the value of the items seized on Monday was $1.9 million, and would have been an estimated $32 million if the brand names on them were legitimate.

Gamez says three of the containers were headed to Orange County and three to Los Angeles County.
    Authorities did not release the name of the shipper or the recipients of the goods because their investigation is continuing.

2. good news!

3. awesome

4. Excellent news- I cringe everytime I see someone with a "fake" bag!

5. :tup:

6. Fabulous!

7. i agree! :woohoo:

8. woot woot!

9. :busted

10. Woo hoo!

11. It's gonna be a slow shopping day on Santee Alley! :yes:

12. Yesssss!!

13. woohoo! US Customs!!! great job~~!

14. SWEET! :tup:

15. That's awesome that they got caught! I actually do importing and Customs brokerage, and work with Customs every day, and I've handled a bunch of containers that have gone under intensive exam. Customs can be pretty strict, especially ever since 9/11. But they're doing a great job seizing these ugly, disgusting bags!