Could use your help in making a decision, please.

*suzi*

O.G.
Sep 16, 2006
Ladies - I just stopped by in the hopes that you could help me with a very sad and difficult decision. This morning I was on the computer when my beloved persian kitty Mozart, started stumbling as he was walking. I was horrified to see him walk and fall several times. Well, I immediately grabbed him up and took him to the vet. The news was not good. He has an abdominal mass that she thinks is cancer. She can feel it, but can not see it on the MRI. His kidney function is poor, he has a heart murmur and she thinks the sinus infection that won't go away is probably cancer too.:crybaby:

Mo is seventeen and I knew this time would come. I had noticed that he was not looking well back in January, but they said he was fine and sent him home with me. He was a beautiful persian kitty, but all of a sudden he started looking quite straggly:wondering I had a feeling something was wrong. A momma knows...:s Anyway, now he is a mess. The vet seems to think he is not in pain. She thinks I could take him home until I feel like he is suffering, but I am worried that he is already suffering? She doesn't think so, but how can she be sure and is it right to wait?

Mo had a twin brother that ended up getting bone cancer several years ago. So, I have had to make this decision before. Last time, I feel like I waited too long because I couldn't let go. It was horrible watching my kitty waste away. This time, I want to do the right thing for him and in some ways for myself. I don't mean to sound selfish, but this whole thing is going to be horrible. So, my question is... Should I bring him home and give him a good life until I am sure he is in pain or should I let him go now before we both go through a lot of suffering?

Can you guys help me with this one? I will be there for him until his last breath, but I don't know what the right thing to do is. My mom thinks I should let him go now. What do you think?
Thank you for helping me on this one. I just don't have it in me to decide...:cry:

Here is Mo when he was just a little baby.

Attachments

• n1283537166_284795_1817.jpg
    n1283537166_284795_1817.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 63
Well, I have slept on this. I shouldn't have asked you guys to help me make such a difficult decision. I have had several deaths from close family members this year and I just think I couldn't bare to experience any more sadness. It's the worst experience ever to watch something or someone you love die slowly.

I think I was making it more about me than him. I think I should bring him home and let him enjoy his last days. This weekend it's going to be 80 degrees and even though he is an indoor kitty, I am going to let him go out and enjoy it. I'll try and give him the best life possible until I know it's time.

Sometimes I just like TPF because it helps me to clarify my thoughts. Thank you anyway.

It is a terrible and difficult decision. I'm glad you were able to find a solution you felt good about. Remember that pets live in the moment. He is not going to be mad if you decide to let him go a few days before he really starts to suffer. In fact if he could tell you he would probably prefer it...I would. He only knows that he feels good or bad today. Most people wait longer than they should because they are afraid to let them go to early. Only you know when the time it right. My only advise is it is better to let them go one day to early than 1 day too late. ((((HUGS))))

Mozart is a beautiful kitty. 17 years is a wonderful life for a cat although it would never be long enough.

You WILL know when that time comes. And there will be no doubt in your mind when it does. I believe you will get to enjoy Mo's company for a while longer.

But Mo will let you know...and he is lucky to have such a loving family looking out for him.

Will keep him in my thoughts & prayers :smile:

Last edited:
I think I was making it more about me than him. I think I should bring him home and let him enjoy his last days. This weekend it's going to be 80 degrees and even though he is an indoor kitty, I am going to let him go out and enjoy it. I'll try and give him the best life possible until I know it's time.

I think you made the right choice. Spoil the crap out of him.

You will know when it is time, basically when he isn't acting like himself anymore. Know where you could take him to put him down at any time - when our last dane started to be in horrible pain it was the middle of the night and we had no idea where to go and she had to wait several hours until the vet opened - our biggest regret with her.

If possible have him put down at home if it comes to that, we did it for the first time with the dog we just lost and it made everything so much easier and less stressful for everyone. If you want any details about how it worked you can PM me, it's all a bit of an overshare.

suzi...so sorry to hear about Mozart. What a beautiful kitten he was, and I'm sure he is a beautiful cat.

As far as the pain goes, my guess is that any changes in behavior, eating, mood would mean that our babies are in pain or feeling sick.

I'm glad that you came here for feedback...members who have had to go through this awful experience may be able to help make yours easier.

Enjoy the beautiful weather this weekend with your baby...I'll be thinking about you both :heart:

Thanks ladies. It's wonderful to talk with people who understand. Mo's home and I'm going to be showing him loads of love. I think I will find someone to come here. He hates to go to the vet, so I wouldn't want his last moments there.

I have been through this before five years ago. He had a twin brother who died of bone cancer. I went with his brother and held him as he went to sleep. It was very very difficult as I'm sure many of you know. I am not a very emotional person, but I love animals and cried for months after he passed. This time it will not be easy, but I know he has had a good long life. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks and love you guys for being there.:flowers:

You are a great mom to Mo. I agree that spoiling him rotten is the best way. You will know when he is ready to go because HE will let you know. Hug him, love him and let him go when he needs it.

Thanks ladies. It's wonderful to talk with people who understand. Mo's home and I'm going to be showing him loads of love. I think I will find someone to come here. He hates to go to the vet, so I wouldn't want his last moments there.

That's what I would suggest. My vet came to the house for 2 of my other dogs.
It was so peaceful for them. They always were stressed at the vet's office, but
they were in their beds when they went off to Rainbow Bridge, and looked so
'happy'...they went with dignity and surrounded by lots of love. And it
was easier for us to deal with as well.

I will do this for each and every one of my pets from now on.:flowers:

Once you realized it's about Mozart and not you, it will be clearer to you when to make the decision to help him go. It's so hard to take our wants and needs out of it and think of what is best for our pet. I believe he will tell you when he's ready.

Hugs to both you and your kitty.

Aw Suzi, so sorry you are going through this. You have made the best decision & will know when the time is right to let go & do it in the best possible way for both of you! Glad that you will have time to spoil your kitty, he is gorgeous! Life bloody sucks! We are all here for you anytime!

Not sure where you are located, but when the time comes, this place is awesome...

Sooooo caring and compassionate.

http://www.lastingpaws.com/

Thank you so much for the idea. I can't use that particular place because I'm way up north, but I'm sure there is something like that near me. I'll do some research tomorrow.

Mo jumped off the couch and his back end just kind of buckled underneath him. My DH thinks his leg was asleep, but I don't think that's it at all. Have you guys ever heard of that? I wonder what's causing it. Ughh...

Thanks Bagangel, Boxermom, and KittyKat. He is back on the big fluffy pillow I gave him now. He climbed up there and his chin was covered in milk. It looks like he's still eating!:P

suzi, I'm so sorry to hear about your beautiful Mo. I think you made the right decision to bring him home to be comfortable in his own home. Stay strong and give that handsome kitty all the love in the world. {{{hugs}}} :heart:

He is back on the big fluffy pillow I gave him now. He climbed up there and his chin was covered in milk. It looks like he's still eating!:P

My philosophy is if they are eating, they still have the will to live. When the eating stops you know its time and they are obviously in pain or something is wrong.

Be sure and give Mozart lots of kisses and lovins'. :heart:
I will keep him in my prayers!