Could this be fraud? HELP!!!!

more_CHOOS

Sofa King on a Ban!!
Mar 18, 2008
I recently listed a pair of shoe on Ebay. A potential buyer had bidded on it and then Ebay canceled their bid. The buyer then contacted me and told me that Ebay canceled their bid because her account was somehow linked to her "BF's" account and he had problems on his account and so his account was canceled. She then proceeds to ask me if she can still purchase the item off Ebay. I told her if the item did not sell then I would gladly sell them to her for the listing price and that I would send her a Paypal invoice.

Well the item did not sell, so as promised I sent her a Paypal invoice. She then asks me if she send in 3 installments and that I did not have to ship until the last payment has been made. I agreed.

Well she has made the final payment, but when I went back to my Paypal account, I noticed that the three payments came from 3 different Paypal accounts and had 3 different names/addresses, all of which were confirmed.

Now I'm a little afraid to ship to her because I'm not sure which address is really hers or if any of the Paypal accounts are really hers at all. Maybe she (or her "BF") was involved in some sort of scam and so Ebay canceled her old account and then canceled her bid on my item as well? Did Ebay actually do something right for a change and caught her before she could do it again and I was stupid to agree to it? Ebay sent me a message telling me that the bid had been canceled but did not give me a reason for it.

I also noticed that not only the Paypal accounts were all different, the email addresses were all different, including the ones she emailed me from throughout this selling process (I counted at least 5 email addresses). Seriously who has 5 email addresses, 3 bank accounts, and 3 addresses and 4 different names?

My question is, if I ship it to one of the confirmed addresses would my item still be insured should it get lost in transit or if this was an unauthorized transaction. Further, would Paypal insure me for total amount ($415) or would they only insure me for one of the installment amounts? She paid $215, $100 and $100).

I'm not sure what to do...is there a number I can call or find out why Ebay had canceled her bid? Or if I can call Paypal to confirm that these payments were really authorized?

Help!! I told her I would ship within 1-2 days of payment and she finally paid the last installment yesterday. So if these are her actual accounts, then I don't want to delay shipping the shoes to her!

Hmm that's pretty fishy to me. I would try and look into it more...just everything coming from different accounts, especially with different NAMES really makes me nervous about it. I'm not sure what to do, but somehow try to look into it more. I'm sure other PF'ers will have better advice, but it would make me super uneasy.

yea that's what i thought...i didn't realize it until i went to check my paypal account and noticed it. and i read in another thread paypal is pretty sh*tty at doing their job to protect sellers so i don't know if i want to risk it

I would email her and ask her why she used three different Paypal accounts (you can use the reason that you dont know which address to send to).

If you send to one address could she not file a suit of 'Not Recieved' at other two address and you wont have proof of postage for them???

Seems very strange.

^ I'm afraid those accounts might not even be hers and she's hacked into someone else's account. If the real person who's account those belong to files a complaint with Paypal or their CC company stating that it was an unauthorized transaction then I'm pretty much SOL?!

I think you should tell her you are refunding her money into one of the Paypal accounts. She should be asked to choose which one, within a specified time or you will refund into the first or last account, whichever you choose.

Then if she still wants the shoes, she can pay for them from that account with its confirmed address. At least that will cover you for item not received.

As for any other scam that is going on....I just don't know. You should contact Paypal with this story, to see if they suspect any particular scenario. It is very odd.

I think you should tell her you are refunding her money into one of the Paypal accounts. She should be asked to choose which one, within a specified time or you will refund into the first or last account, whichever you choose.

Then if she still wants the shoes, she can pay for them from that account with its confirmed address. At least that will cover you for item not received.

As for any other scam that is going on....I just don't know. You should contact Paypal with this story, to see if they suspect any particular scenario. It is very odd.
Agree with Conni. This is way too fishy. She may have hijacked three different accounts. I would tell her I am going to refund to the three accounts and ask her to pay with just one and one with a confirmed address. "Administrative cancel" means ebay was onto something and canceled her bid, I think. Too much scamming going on to be comfortable with this one...If she insists, maybe ask her to send Western Union. That way you will be protected. She send $$ through WU, you cash and send the shoes after it is cleared. You know if she doesn't want you to refund to the three separate PP accts. she is up to no good. Because PP would refund to stolen CC that were hijacked, not to her. Do NOT send to any address that is not confirmed (#1 rule here)!!!!
Whatever happens, you will need to refund the money to the 3 PP accounts. If not, you are part of the fraud. PP will eventually figure out the scam and take the $$ out of YOUR PP account anyway.

Last edited:
^ Thanks all. I think I may ask her to send it from Paypal account only. I think I'm going to talk to Paypal to determine my recourse should this is fraudulent. Will keep all posted.

Are all the accounts under her name or different names? I understand different names. When I needed a new computer for school I did this once with an ebay seller. My mom, dad, my bf and his mom all used thier paypal accounts to help fund for my new computer. I would just be up front and ask her why all the different acounts under other names. Maybe nothing fishy about this at all but then again ya never know what people are up to......

Carrie