Could someone tell me what's going on with my Keepall?

JMHC

Jul 9, 2018
Hey guys, so I bought my Keepall 55 last year on July 31. A few weeks ago I noticed it was doing this on the sides where the bandouliere attaches to. I keep it stuffed with a pillow and in the dust bag when not in use.

I tried taking it in to my local boutique and after photos were taken and a couple day wait I was told that it could not be replaced with a new one because it's a known issue. My gf is my CA so I trust she did all she could for me. We are heading on vacation to Paris in a few weeks from Canada and I was wondering if it would be possible to try and get a replacement there. Worst case scenario I guess I can try to get it repaired when we get back.

Does anyone know what would cause the leather to do this? I don't want to have it repaired or replaced and have it do it again.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

20180708_225443.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys, so I bought my Keepall 55 last year in Oct. A few weeks ago I noticed it was doing this on the sides where the bandouliere attaches to. I keep it stuffed with a pillow and in the dust bag when not in use.

I tried taking it in to my local boutique and after photos were taken and a couple day wait I was told that it could not be replaced with a new one because it's a known issue. My gf is my CA so I trust she did all she could for me. We are heading on vacation to Paris in a few weeks from Canada and I was wondering if it would be possible to try and get a replacement there. Worst case scenario I guess I can try to get it repaired when we get back.

Does anyone know what would cause the leather to do this? I don't want to have it repaired or replaced and have it do it again.

View attachment 4126041
Two things:
1) I would take the bag again to my local store and insist that they find a solution. This is more than a little wrinkling (which would be totally normal). And your bag is not even a year old!
2) I don't like the leather on the Monogram Eclipse line. It has a rubberized finish, which I think ages horribly. And this is another proof of it.

You can try Paris... the worst that can happen is that they say no.

I also have this on my Keepall 45, Keepall 55, and Apollo backpack. I bought these when they were first released. I noticed none of my Monogram Eclipse slgs have this problem. I also store them stuffed but I use a plastic bag as the dust bag. I noticed that anywhere there is a slight bend in the leather during storage or use, these wrinkles shows up. I think because I store my Keepalls in a plastic bag, the weight of the plastic is light so it doesn't weight down on the leather very much so there is not as many wrinkles on mine. I think since you store yours in the dust bag, it is heavier than the plastic bag, thus showing more wrinkles. I also did not use the shoulder straps when I used these and I don't store the Keepalls with the shoulder straps attached to the d-rings. Therefore, I believe the weight of the dust bag plus the shoulder strap attached to the d-ring is causing the wrinkles on your Keepall. I concluded this because the straps on my Apollo shows the most amount of wrinkles. The straps are constantly bent while in storage and during use. I must note, I have used each of these three items only once since I bought them. Image 1 and 2 are the 45; image 3,4, and 5 are the Apollo; image 6, 7, and 8 are the 55. Good luck in getting this problem resolved with LV. I would love to know what they decide in Paris. Bon voyage!

Attachments

• IMG_3727.JPG
    IMG_3727.JPG
    222.2 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_3728.JPG
    IMG_3728.JPG
    246.9 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_3733.JPG
    IMG_3733.JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_3734.JPG
    IMG_3734.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_3735.JPG
    IMG_3735.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_3736.JPG
    IMG_3736.JPG
    212.3 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_3738.JPG
    IMG_3738.JPG
    228.5 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_3739.JPG
    IMG_3739.JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 201
I also have this on my Keepall 45, Keepall 55, and Apollo backpack. I bought these when they were first released. I noticed none of my Monogram Eclipse slgs have this problem. I also store them stuffed but I use a plastic bag as the dust bag. I noticed that anywhere there is a slight bend in the leather during storage or use, these wrinkles shows up. I think because I store my Keepalls in a plastic bag, the weight of the plastic is light so it doesn't weight down on the leather very much so there is not as many wrinkles on mine. I think since you store yours in the dust bag, it is heavier than the plastic bag, thus showing more wrinkles. I also did not use the shoulder straps when I used these and I don't store the Keepalls with the shoulder straps attached to the d-rings. Therefore, I believe the weight of the dust bag plus the shoulder strap attached to the d-ring is causing the wrinkles on your Keepall. I concluded this because the straps on my Apollo shows the most amount of wrinkles. The straps are constantly bent while in storage and during use. I must note, I have used each of these three items only once since I bought them. Image 1 and 2 are the 45; image 3,4, and 5 are the Apollo; image 6, 7, and 8 are the 55. Good luck in getting this problem resolved with LV. I would love to know what they decide in Paris. Bon voyage!
Storing your bags in plastic bags??? That sounds like a terrible idea.

Storing your bags in plastic bags??? That sounds like a terrible idea.
It sounds like a terrible idea. I use to store my bags in their dust bags, but whenever there was a liquid involved, the dust bag would soak up the liquid and then transfer the water damage to the bag. It would stain it in the case of vachetta; mold it in the case of ebene, graphite, and geant; swell up the leather in the case of epi, glacé and Utah, etc. With children and their friends in the house, I never really know when liquids are spilled, splattered or poured on these bags until I pull them out to be used. I keep them stored away from the main part of the house but little children are very unpredictable. Dust bags only really keep the dust out. So I took the idea from being in the operating room. Everything in there is wrapped in plastic. Skin graft (like leather), metal implants (like the hardwares), plastic instrument (like the plastic buckles on straps), cloth (like the bags linings) and sutures (like the stitches) are all sealed in plastic to protect it from dust, bacteria, water damage, viruses, and mold while keeping the content sterile. If these things can be kept from damage by storing them this way, I thought why don’t I transfer this idea to my bags. Well, I have been doing this for more than ten years now and I find that it slows down the patina of the vachetta, keeps liquids off my bags, no more molds, slows down the oxidation on the hardware, and I don’t have any unexpected stains when I pull them out to be used. However, before I store them back in the plastic bags after use, I make sure my bags are completely dry if it got wet and I don’t store the bags near a heat source because it can melt the plastic, dry out the canvas and the leather, and melt the glaze. So yes, it does sound like a terrible idea but it has worked wonderfully for me. I also used this idea with my leather shoes and I store them in covered plastic bins. Worked out really great!

It sounds like a terrible idea. I use to store my bags in their dust bags, but whenever there was a liquid involved, the dust bag would soak up the liquid and then transfer the water damage to the bag. It would stain it in the case of vachetta; mold it in the case of ebene, graphite, and geant; swell up the leather in the case of epi, glacé and Utah, etc. With children and their friends in the house, I never really know when liquids are spilled, splattered or poured on these bags until I pull them out to be used. I keep them stored away from the main part of the house but little children are very unpredictable. Dust bags only really keep the dust out. So I took the idea from being in the operating room. Everything in there is wrapped in plastic. Skin graft (like leather), metal implants (like the hardwares), plastic instrument (like the plastic buckles on straps), cloth (like the bags linings) and sutures (like the stitches) are all sealed in plastic to protect it from dust, bacteria, water damage, viruses, and mold while keeping the content sterile. If these things can be kept from damage by storing them this way, I thought why don’t I transfer this idea to my bags. Well, I have been doing this for more than ten years now and I find that it slows down the patina of the vachetta, keeps liquids off my bags, no more molds, slows down the oxidation on the hardware, and I don’t have any unexpected stains when I pull them out to be used. However, before I store them back in the plastic bags after use, I make sure my bags are completely dry if it got wet and I don’t store the bags near a heat source because it can melt the plastic, dry out the canvas and the leather, and melt the glaze. So yes, it does sound like a terrible idea but it has worked wonderfully for me. I also used this idea with my leather shoes and I store them in covered plastic bins. Worked out really great!
If it works for you... that's all that matters! I sure won't try it though. I have been storing my items in their dustbags for decades and they all look great so that's what I'm sticking to!

Reactions: Who’sLV?
I guess that's what they mean by it being a known problem. I'm curious if it's just isolated to the eclipse line
No, it’s not just in the Monogram Ecplise line. It shows up on the vachetta of the Monogram Canvas line and in the newer leather of the Damier Ebene line, like the Iena PM and MM. The leather that are treated but matted shows these wrinkles while the leather that are treated but shiny (like the Damper Graphite and the shiny leather Damier Ebene) shows more resistance to these wrinkles. Most people don’t notice these wrinkles on the vachetta because it’s lighter so not as pronounce as oppose to the black leather of the Monogram Eclipse. I hope that puts your mind as ease until you find out the result in Paris or when you bring your Keepall for further inspection.

Isn't it Ok for leather to wrinkle? I cannot get that thought out of my mind. It's leather, it wrinkles just as we do. Probably there are factors that expedite or slow the process, yet, I don't see how any leather won't wrinkle or change appearance in time.

Isn't it Ok for leather to wrinkle? I cannot get that thought out of my mind. It's leather, it wrinkles just as we do. Probably there are factors that expedite or slow the process, yet, I don't see how any leather won't wrinkle or change appearance in time.
Yes, OP just wanted to know what caused the wrinkles and whether it was worth his time to replace it or if he needed to exchange it.

Hey guys, so I bought my Keepall 55 last year on July 31. A few weeks ago I noticed it was doing this on the sides where the bandouliere attaches to. I keep it stuffed with a pillow and in the dust bag when not in use.

View attachment 4126041