Could someone explain to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaffleCloth

Jun 5, 2011
Alright, so I am definitely interested in purchasing a Birkin. My dream birkin is a black togo 35cm.

Anyways, so I was looking at the reference thread which I believe stated the bag was around $11,000ish CA.

Well, I was checking ebay and that same bag goes for $12,500-$17,000!!!!

Can someone explain to me why the bags seem to be cheaper brand new VS on ebay? Is it because sellers on ebay can send the bag to anywhere in the world and they are harder to get at the boutiques so that accounts for the roughly $1500- $6000ish price increase?

After viewing all these roughly $20,000 Birkins, I am so much more relieved that the cost is so much lower for a brand new one!

Alright, so I am definitely interested in purchasing a Birkin. My dream birkin is a black togo 35cm.

Anyways, so I was looking at the reference thread which I believe stated the bag was around $11,000ish CA.

Well, I was checking ebay and that same bag goes for $12,500-$17,000!!!!

Can someone explain to me why the bags seem to be cheaper brand new VS on ebay? Is it because sellers on ebay can send the bag to anywhere in the world and they are harder to get at the boutiques so that accounts for the roughly $1500- $6000ish price increase?

After viewing all these roughly $20,000 Birkins, I am so much more relieved that the cost is so much lower for a brand new one!

Very hard to purchase at the boutique so people will pay more to get one now from a reseller. Basic supply and demand.

It seems that there is a big frenzy right now around the Hermes bags or actually it's been like that for a couple of years already. So many people want the bag asap so they don't mind paying the mark-ups. I agree that it was easier to get a Birkin (or a Kelly) straight from the shelves a few years back but now it seems that they are mostly pre reserved or ordered by existing customers.

Obtaining a birkin from the store with specfic leather/color/hardware/size is hard and might require months/years of waiting unless you are a VIP or a very loyal customer, while obtaining one from a trusted reseller is a shortcut for those who do not want to wait. Though sometimes, you can get lucky and find your dream bag on display, but this is kinda rare.

The retail price for a 35 Togo birkin is $10,300 (pretax) after the price increase took effect yesterday. I think many would be happy buying from a reseller at a slight premium, but with the current boutique prices and the sometimes crazy reseller mark-ups, in time people may hold off buying (or at least that's what consumer economic theory says) which allows supply to replenish itself. :smile:

Of course, the timeline for this economic cycle is undeterminable. Ok, maybe this doesn't help you, but it's something I hold onto to keep my wish list spirits up!

The retail price for a 35 Togo birkin is $10,300 (pretax) after the price increase took effect yesterday. I think many would be happy buying from a reseller at a slight premium, but with the current boutique prices and the sometimes crazy reseller mark-ups, in time people may hold off buying (or at least that's what consumer economic theory says) which allows supply to replenish itself. :smile:

Of course, the timeline for this economic cycle is undeterminable. Ok, maybe this doesn't help you, but it's something I hold onto to keep my wish list spirits up!

^^:goodpost:

ITA...2 years ago I could walk into Madison Ave and buy a B or K off the shelf. There has been no inventory for months so the lists are getting longer, even for bags that use to be easy to get. Once the supply is back, buying from the boutique will be easier and reseller prices ( for some items) will come back down. That said, get on a boutique's list and keep checking reputable resellers. Good luck!

If someone wants it bad enough they will pay the price ridiculous or not..

that's what the H fever comes down to....

There are many existing threads on pricing, Ebay, resellers, how to get a bag, etc. Could you please do a search and contribute to one of those?

Many thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.