Could I safely carry?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I'm so ready to have a baby but I'm scared. I have a slight eating problem and my friends and family say that I hardly eat enough to keep a scare crow alive. So I fear that I wouldn't be able to eat enough to carry a baby to term and have it be born happy and healthy. I don't want it to suffer from malnutrition or anything like that. It's not that I suffer from anorexia, but I just have to remind, and often force, myself to eat. Because of that, is it likely that my baby could get sick while it's in the womb? We're so ready to have a baby, but I'm scared to mess up and lose it.

2. You might want to talk to a doctor about this. I think, it's possible you will change your eating habits once pregnant because a) you will be hungry and b) you wouldn't deliberately starve yourself.
    You will gain weight in pregnancy, so rather than fight it, know you are creating a child and that afterwards you will have control over your body again.

3. Most definitely discuss it with your doc. I am assuming you are at a healthy enough weight to ovulate, right? If not, getting pregnant might be tough to begin with.

When you get pregnant, you might just want to keep reminding yourself that this is finite and you can go back to your eating habits when you are finished gestating. That's what I did anyway and it worked well enough. There were times, however, when I just could not eat --usually that 5th or 6th small meal of the day. I would then drink an Ensure Plus which had 350 calories, is full of vitamins, protein and other nutritional goodies and is usually recommended for people undergoing chemotherapy who cannot take too many solids without becoming nauseated. All supermarkets and drug stores carry it. Some of the flavors are quite tasty, as well. My kids were born at relatively good weights; perhaps a bit on the small side for singletons but quite good for twins.

Good luck.

4. I agree, speak w/ your Doc first.
    You must increase your calorie intake by about 500 calories/day. . . that's for someone who truly eats an already adequate # of calories.

5. Please speak with your doctor before you try. He will give you all the information you need to know. I know a friend who said the same thing, but when it came time to it she had a VERY hard time eating while carrying. For her, it took a lot of dedication even though she loved her child because she had the same eating habits for years!

6. Same advice as everyone dear, please speak to your doctor before taking the plunge. :smile:

7. Same advice here... speak with your Dr. You want to be healthy for both you and the baby.

Are you ovulating now? If you are too thin your body will not ovulate...

8. Definitely speak to your doctor. On a positive note, my sister was like a stick insect and always had to remind herself to eat because she never found food interesting. However, when she became pregnant, her taste buds and love of food really increased. Even to this day she says she never enjoyed food as much as she did when she was pregnant. She's had two healthy children.

9. You might not even get pregnant if you are underweight. I would deal with the eating dissorder first. Good luck!

10. All good advice. You really need to discuss this with your doctor. Keep us posted and Good Luck!

11. Thank you all so much for the advice. I'm going to make an appointment and talk to my doctor as soon as possible.