Cost to Make One Carly

SLVDW47

hand me my leather..
Aug 26, 2008
New York
$8.......yes, you read that right. Maybe this won't come as a surprise to many of you, but I just wanted to share. My manager confirmed this for me, she was informed at a recent company conference.

JennE

Apr 10, 2008
Ohio
I don't mean to sound harsh, but as an employee of the company (which I believe that you are since you mentioned your manager) are you sure you should be sharing this information? I think it is widely known that Coach has employees who read the postings of this forum...just a word to the wise...

Unless of course this is public knowledge...then share on!:smile:

Last edited:

SLVDW47

hand me my leather..
Aug 26, 2008
New York
I was not told that this was privileged information, nor told in confidence.

I know the cost of making the bags vs. the prices has been discussed vigorously throughout this forum and just wanted to share!

Snowqueen!

O.G.
May 14, 2008
The Sunshine State
Most public companies have written policies that prohibit employees from disclosing information such as this. I know mine does.

With my company, diseminating information such as this would probably mean my job. Just because someone does not actually tell you something is privileged does not mean it should be posted on a public message board.

LIblue

Dona Nobis Pacem
Mar 29, 2007
$8 huh? Well, that is quite a mark up but it is a much lower percentage than that on cosmetics and fragrance. Still, seeing that in black and white gives me pause. I guess I must liked getting screwed because I keep handing over my hard earned money!

VPink118

O.G.
Jun 8, 2008
Atlanta
Of course this stuff is marked up big time- they know we will buy it- and tons of it... that is why I try not to spend too much on Coach because the money can be invested or spent a little more wisely in my opinion although I do occasionaly love a new bag.

you'd think at $8 they'd get the fraying thing right.

Thanks for this fact. It helps with my future decision making

mlangland

more coach please
Feb 23, 2008
Phoenix
wow, oh well, I know I couldn't make a carly for $8. We all know that these items are marked up. That's how companies pay workers, rent on buildings, marketing, websites. Everyone needs profit or why make a product? Just think of diamonds, high priced clothing, shoes, everything! Personally, I don't mind paying a price for an item if I can justify the cost. I don't believe that everything is reasonably priced, but I can chose to pay $398 for my carly or pay $30 for a different bag. I know they are making money off me but I can chose not to spend my money there if I want.

babyjean06

Apr 5, 2008
Of course this stuff is marked up big time- they know we will buy it- and tons of it... that is why I try not to spend too much on Coach because the money can be invested or spent a little more wisely in my opinion although I do occasionaly love a new bag.

you'd think at $8 they'd get the fraying thing right.

Thanks for this fact. It helps with my future decision making
agreed!

ms-whitney

shopaholic
Sep 6, 2006
I was not told that this was privileged information, nor told in confidence.

I know the cost of making the bags vs. the prices has been discussed vigorously throughout this forum and just wanted to share!

if a customer came in and wants to buy a carly would you tell them it only costs eight dollars to make?

Suzzeee

O.G.
Jul 9, 2007
California
That is lower than I expected, but probably is the raw cost of the bag and wouldn't include shipping/marketing/sales costs that would be attached to that bag before they calculated actual profit - I'd also imagine that this is for a signature fabric bag and not full leather - typical markups in the handbag biz used to be 400% plus and with the insane prices increases are probably closer to 800% plus and Coach is known to be at the high end of the markup ranges with their huge profit margins and sales so even with adding all of those other costs to say a large sig Carly retailing for $398 -even if those final costs are $50 (and honestly, if $8 is the manufacturing cost, it's more like $20), that's still 7/8 the cost of each bag being profit -- huge profits for the company.

I do agree with other posters - if the OP does work for Coach, I cannot imagine that this information wouldn't be considered confidential and something that you could be fired for posting on an internet forum so do be careful.