Travel Copenhagen/Bergen/Oslo/Tromso - nov 2013

Nov 18, 2009
Hi all, I'm heading to Copenhagen, Bergen, Oslo and tromso in mid nov. I'm praying for clear skies and good weather when we are in Tromso as I'm looking forward to the northern lights chase! 🙏🙏🙏

I would really appreciate any tips or suggestion on what is a must see or a must do and any restaurant we must go to.

I'm travelling with my hubby and we will be celebrating my birthday in Oslo and his birthday in Tromso. Any nice restaurant to recommend?

Thanks!!!

Hi, I've been living in Oslo for 10 years, but not anymore. Just moved :smile:

You guys need to visit Aker Brygge. The entire area is filled with restaurants and cafees, and almost everywhere you'll be able to enjoy views of the ocean. You should visit Akershus Festning, Holmenkollen, Vigelandsparken.
Remember, Norway's very cold at this time of the year. Bring wool clothes!

Shopping isn't great here, you should do the shopping in other countries....

Questions? Have a lovely vacation!

I'm intending to bring wool sweaters and a down jacket.

Thanks for the suggestion. Really appreciate it!! I already have plans to visit some of the places you mention 😊 I will try to fit holmenkollen into my itinerary. It looks really interesting!

When it comes to dining in Oslo, I have a few suggestions for lunch and dinner. They're all at Aker Brygge, which is very central.

Meatmarket (Lille Stranden 10, Tjuvholmen) - a spanish tapas bar with the most amazing tapas (meatmarket.no)
Beach Club (Bryggetorget 14, Oslo) - if you enjoy homemade american burgers (a bit like Frida's, only Beach Club is a bit more popular) (beachclub.no)
Olivia's (Bryggegangen 4, Oslo) - an italian restaurant with the best italian pizza in Oslo (oliviarestauranter.no)

I wrote down links for their internet pages and the addresses so that you won't need to search for them. Also, you don't need to book tables in advance.

If you've got the time, you could also visit Norsk Folkemuseum and The Viking ship museums in Oslo. Just be aware that Norsk Folkemuseum is an outdoor museum and you should only go there if the weather is nice. Bus 30 runs there from the city center.

Getting around is very easy. Do NOT bring cash and pay onboard the buses, as that's much more expensive! You should buy one day travel cards from 7/11 and validate them once you get onboard the buses.

Hmmm, Wifi isn't available everywhere up here. You will be able to connect to wifi on the hotels you're staying, but I'm not sure if it'll be for free.

It will be difficult to find any internet cafes. They're rare as well.

If you're traveling by express bus or train, I recommend you ask someone working onboard, because there might be free internet services there.

Thanks for the suggestions and tips! It's really helpful!

Just to check, if I want to have wifi during my trip, is there any data plan you would suggest?

It's not clear where you are from. US? A lot of cell companies offer overseas data for "not too offensive" pricing. So if from the US, check with your cell plan to see what is available.

Other than that, if walking around town, my favorite place is McDonalds (no flames please!). They normally offer free wifi (I normally just buy a soda for good karma) and you can check your email there - or get situated and such.

Sounds like a great trip! One thing I might add - bring A LOT of cash. :biggrin: It is extremely expensive over there. I once joked to a friend about lighting $100 bills on fire before they left, just so they could get used to it. But completely worth it. :smile: I'm jealous!

It's not clear where you are from. US? A lot of cell companies offer overseas data for "not too offensive" pricing. So if from the US, check with your cell plan to see what is available.

Other than that, if walking around town, my favorite place is McDonalds (no flames please!). They normally offer free wifi (I normally just buy a soda for good karma) and you can check your email there - or get situated and such.

Sounds like a great trip! One thing I might add - bring A LOT of cash. :biggrin: It is extremely expensive over there. I once joked to a friend about lighting $100 bills on fire before they left, just so they could get used to it. But completely worth it. :smile: I'm jealous!

Yes, it's very expensive here compared to the US, and they don't have the most fancy stores. That's why I recommended you to do your shopping elsewhere. You mentioned that you're going to Copenhagen. You'll enjoy shopping there! Copenhagen is well known for interior stuff, besides fashion :smile:

As for going to McDonalds in other countries - I get what she say's, but there aren't that many mcD's left! I did a search for you, and found that a Coffee place called Wayne's Coffee at a place called Egertorget is offering free wifi. Now Egertorget is very central. You could Ask any Norwegian where that is, and they'd point you in the right direction!

Thanks all!!!
I'm from SG and will check with my local telco regarding the data plan.

I'm very very excited about the trip 😊
I really hope to see the northern lights this trip as well. Or else, Finland will be where I'm headed next year!

My experience is from a long time ago, but we were in Copenhagen and loved it. We saw the Little Mermaid and a nearby amusement park (don't know if it's still there). There was a street with great shopping and I brought back a lot of souvenirs. We also visited Hamlet's castle--very dark and dank, much like Shakespeare's play.

sounds like a wonderful trip!

In Copenhagen you should try to get a table at NoMa (means nordisk mad = nordic food).

What kind of shopping are you looking to do? The expensive stores are located on and around Østergade. Also visit the department stores Magasin, Illum and Illums Bolighus (a shop with stuff for your home).

One of the most popular danish designers is By Malene Birger. Her clothes have a very scandinavic feel, imo.

If you like cake, you should try La Glace. They have amazing cakes and the best hot chokolate.

If you're interested in danish design, you could visit Royal Copenhagen. They make very popular plates, vases and such.

If you come after the 15th of November, Tivoli have opened their Christmas season. It's really beautiful with a lot of lights and local stuff to buy and eat.

Where in Copenhagen are you staying? Then I can reccomend places to get drinks, if you'd like.

And on a more unpleasant note: Copenhagen have a lot of pickpockets at the moment, so look after your belongings, especially in crowded busses and trains.

Please let me know if I can help with anything else :smile: