Food cooking with recipes that require white wine? help!

ILuvShopping

★☆★★☆★★☆★
Jun 4, 2007
I really want to try and make some pasta sauces that use white wine. but it confuses me soooo much. just any kind of white wine? can i just goto the store's wine aisle and find the cheapest white wine? are you suppose to use a dry or a sweet white wine? or is there a certain kind that you're suppose to use? i've never actually gone to a store to buy wine so the liquor aisle is a bit over whelming for me.

someone help, please!!

I've heard Chef's say that you should cook with a wine you'd like to drink so I don't think buying the cheapest is the way to go. I don't buy separate wine for cooking but cook with what I would usually drink.

But if you've never bought wine then I don't know where to start. I guess it also depends on the pasta dish you're making whether it's with Seafood or meat or whatever else...

Sorry, i'm not much help, I suggest a dry Savignon Blanc, for me that goes with everything.

ur supposed to cook with wine that you would like to drink. are you a wine drinker at all? id suggest trying some fairly inexpensive, but high quality wines. price is not the only thing to consider. some readily available brands that usually fair well for and cost practically nothing are yellow tail and barefoot. as for taste, for pasta sauces i would stick to something fairly dry. if your adding it to something tomato based, it should be a red wine.

your best bet would be to ask the people at the liquor store and taste it before you cook with it because if u hate the taste, youll hate the food too.

i do have a fairly good stock of white wines but i'd hate to use them for cooking because they aren't from places that i can just get in my car and pick them up. i usually pick them up from wineries around near where my parents and brother live so i suppose if i needed to i could try using one and have them pick up another for me.. although i wouldnt get another one for my stock for 3-6 months since i don't see my family that often....

also i'm very picky with wine and really only like to drink the really really sweet wine whites or ice wines.

but good things to know! thank you both! that really helps a lot :smile:

Yeah, tonight we made seafood risotto and just used the wine we are drinking. But if you don't drink all that much, you may think about buying one of those 4-packs of wine just to have on hand for cooking.

Cheaper wine is fine, maybe not the cheapest. We definitely dont use the wines off the wine list for cooking at the restaurant! But, at home, I usually buy something inexpensive that is good for drinking or cooking- I like to drink while I cook.
Dont use sweet wines for cooking, unless the recipe specifically specifies it. For pasta, I would just use an inexpensive Italian white.

Yeah, tonight we made seafood risotto and just used the wine we are drinking. But if you don't drink all that much, you may think about buying one of those 4-packs of wine just to have on hand for cooking.

I get the 4-pack, since I don't drink alcohol. At least this way I'm not wasting 3/4 bottle of wine after I cook that one dish.

I love cooking with wine! I would never ever dream of using cooking wine~ nasty stuff! If you can't drink it, don't cook with it. A lot of times, I get the small bottles of Braidenwood cabernet & white at my local Food Lion, who carries it exclusively. They have a great wine selection, but the smaller bottles work well for my cooking, so I don't waste it. The wine has a good flavor, and I can get the small bottles usually for around $3.00 each, or sometimes 2 for $5.
The Braidenwood cabernet is excellent for marinating venison & beef, as well as adding to stews and sauteed mushrooms. The white I use in my pasta, chicken & seafood dishes, both for marinating & cooking. If you have a Food Lion nearby, I would suggest checking it out...:yes:

Just adding to the chorus...don't use cheap wine to cook...:yucky:...remember the flavors concentrate when you cook, so if it is yucky when you start, it will be really nasty by the time you finish.

No offense Leelee, but I agree with hunt, never use 'cooking wine'....it will just ruin your dish.

TJs has some good inexpensive wines...they are super nice, just ask for advice :smile:

thanks everyone! the small bottles sound like a really good idea. i guess i'll just have to experiment and see how things turn out! i would really love to learn how to make some good white pasta sauces besides alfredo.

speaking of wines.... i love to cook marsala chicken... and i admit i use the dreaded 'cooking wine' that you find in the condiment aisle (as someone else mentioned). i have honestly tried to find marsala wine in the wine aisle but i can never find it... but maybe that's because i don't know what i'm looking for.

is it possible to find marsala wine in the grocery store liquor aisle??