Cooking with a Bamboo Steamer: Recipes, tips etc!

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. So I just ordered an adorable bamboo steamer off of one of Hautelook's sales today, partly because it was really cute, and partly because I'd like to start steaming meats, vegetables etc since its supposed to be healthy!

Of course, I've never actually used a bamboo steamer (or any steamer for that matter, this was an impulse buy that I should have thought through!) so I was wondering if anyone who uses one could share their tips and instructions, as well as their favorite recipes and meals to cook in a bamboo steamer. It would be a huge help and it could be fun to exchange recipes.

I did do a search, and the only bamboo steamer thread that came up was between 3 and 4 years old and had only 2 or 3 posts, so I thought that it might be better to start a new thread than to resurrect a dinosaur!

2. I don't have a steamer, but DH is asking for one so this thread is interesting. Bump and lets see what others have to say...

3. I don't have any recipes but my bamboo steamer has 2 levels.
    I steam my veggies and some fish in there. It makes the food taste fresh and the fish nice and moist.

4. I used mine for all my seafood. I don't have any specific recipes, but I have yet to find a better was to cook fish.

5. Try a stuffed squid/calamari recipe. Just make sure they are'nt too fat otherwise the squid will be tough and chewy by the time the filling is cooked.

Oh and a word of warning, rinse the steamer really well because it's porous and you don't want detergent to taint the food you're cooking.