Convince Me!

GreyFeather

Nov 16, 2011
Hi to all on the BV sub forum!

I'm new to designer bags and, having just bought two Mulberries (which for the record are lovely), I just fancy giving another brand a go when next in the position to make a purchase.

I am considering Hermes but after having done some research and some thinking I'm not as keen as I was originally for various reasons.

BV has come to my attention, and I'm loving the distinctive but understated look to their designs. I realise the BV sub forum perhaps isn't the best place to get an unbiased view :P But I figure you all love BV for a reason so I'm keen to hear what you have to say to convince me BV is the way to go!

Also which bags would you recommend? From what I've seen so far I'm majorly liking the Veneta and Ball Bag.

Thanking you all in advance,

Philippa

Hello!

I'm relatively new to BV as well. I admired the brand for years but only bought my first peice in August 2011.

For me, the best part about it is that it is lightweight. That's probably the most important factor in a bag for me. A very close second is style. And BV is understated elegance and chicness personified. I can wear the same Veneta with a tshirt and shorts and sandals, and jeans and a sweater, and trousers and a great blouse. The colors are rich and saturated and current but not trendy. It's an expensive brand and yet for the price point and the amount one can do with the bag, I think BV is a fair value.

I think Hermes is lovely and I was buying Hermes 10 years ago. I had a black Box 31cm Bolide, a 37cm Togo Bolide in Potiron, a 35cm Gulliver Gold Birkin, and a few wallets. All that is left is my 37cm Bolide and I hardly wear her. I find the brand is too dressy and it doesn't work as well with my casual luxe/relaxed look that I seem to go for.

The seasoned BVers will tell you an ebano Veneta is the classic BV. In a sense they are right. The Veneta is an effortless bag and ebano is without a doubt (in my mind that is) the best dark brown made by ANY designer. In the intrecciato it is just divine.

start out with an Ebano Veneta in either large or medium depending on what works best for you
then you will be HOOKED by the design and utility of BV bags not to mention the leather.
once hooked you can branch out to other Icon bags in seasonal colors.

Good luck with your new obssession

I think you should go to a store and try on all the bags for shapes, sizes and colours. What may look good on others doesn't necessarily mean it's suited to you. People's body shape and size matter so much more with BV because the person carries the bag and not the other way around as with some brands (nothing wrong with that either of course in the right place)

I actually love H too but I really like the dressier side and there isn't much of that about (and what is the point of compromising at H). I am not a BV expert, unlike many others here and I only have 3 BVs but those work for me.

I think you should go to a store and try on all the bags for shapes, sizes and colours. What may look good on others doesn't necessarily mean it's suited to you. People's body shape and size matter so much more with BV because the person carries the bag and not the other way around as with some brands (nothing wrong with that either of course in the right place)
I completely agree with this statement! After having dissected the reference forum here on TPF, I visited the boutiques several times and tried on the iconic BV Large Veneta. I just can't seem to swing it. I ended up with the medium and I am quite happy. I agree with what grietje says about the weight of a BV bag. It is like no other I have experienced! I don't know how they do it, but they are so comfortably lightweight and soft and strong. I would definitely recommend visiting one of the boutiques and having a wonderful time trying on all the different styles and take your time! Just a word of advice - once you buy one, you will be lusting for another. ;)

Hello!
For me, the best part about it is that it is lightweight. That's probably the most important factor in a bag for me. A very close second is style. And BV is understated elegance and chicness personified. I can wear the same Veneta with a tshirt and shorts and sandals, and jeans and a sweater, and trousers and a great blouse. The colors are rich and saturated and current but not trendy. It's an expensive brand and yet for the price point and the amount one can do with the bag, I think BV is a fair value.

^ I totally agree with this! I am very new to BV, getting my first one for Christmas (medium belly veneta). The bag is lighter than anything else I own, versatile and understated without sacrificing luxury. The quality is second to none.
I truly enjoy carrying it, and it has even made me reconsider some of the other bags in my (small) collection.

You need to go to the store to experience the environment, the leather and the scent of the bags. Take a look at the Roma or parachute or the more work type bags since you are a Mulberry fan for reference.
The feel of BV leather is luxuriously soft. This feel is different compared to Hermes who uses stiffer leathers for a dressier look. A closer comparison will be So Kelly compared to Veneta or Belly. You can't compare they are just different in style.

I'm with other BVettes. You do need to try one on in a boutique to determine what style and size works for you. I love larger bags because they fit my frame and my lifestyle. I am very partial to the cervo hobo - I love the effortless style, comfort of the leather, and their ease to carry. My fever and ossidato rame work well for business and are just divine when casual. There is no better way to experience understated elegance than to carry a BV when wearing sweats or jeans on the weekend when grocery shopping. My go to travel BV is my large nero belly veneta. She sits well on my shoulder and into a carry on when I fly. BV intrecciatos are stiff when new, but the fun is experiencing how they soften over time. My large nero belly veneta is 10 months old and has just achieved a divine "slouchiness." I love BV because I do not need initials on a bag and love the look of no or minimal hardware. I'm thinking about a large cabat for my next acquisition as I graduate to the BV major leagues. Structured classic bags are back as the new "it" bag. I have some classic Gucci bardots and older Furlas that sit on a shelf because I find that they are just too stiff. They are beautiful, but hard to carry in comparison to my BVs - both new and vintage.

I was startled into a deep love of Bottega Veneta about the middle of last year. I lucked into being able to purchase my first, a caramel Cervo Hobo, at a really really good price and suddenly and completely I was in love and done with my 30+ years' of handbag hunting. Here are my reasons for my desire for the Cervo hobo and Bottega Veneta:

1. Deerskin (Cervo) is maintenance-free. It is the only leather that can get wet and not mind it; the only leather that can be cleaned with soap and water. No need to water- or stain-proof.

2. Incredible light weight.

3. No hardware.

4. Incredible customer service. I had an extremely odd thing happen with my first bag (and it was used!) and Bottega Veneta NY immediately took it in and repaired it and sent it back to me with no questions whatsoever and deep apologies for there ever being a problem. I was floored!

5. The artisan workmanship and gorgeous craft-work that goes into all the bags. I just look at my small collection and sigh with contentment and happiness. It's like being able to wear your own security blanket or 'comfort food' - I know that sounds funny, but - you'll just have to find that feeling for yourself. Comfort food for the mind and the senses, all rolled into one.

6. They support a school in Italy for teaching leather craft and keeping the grand tradition of working with leather on this minute and exacting level going for generations. I've heard you've got to be in the school for three years before you are allowed to make anything, but I could be wrong on that.

7. The bags are MADE in Italy. Completely. By real people using their own hands with the time-honored tools of the trade.

You will carry any BV you decide on with joy and deep satisfaction. I never imagined such a feeling until I had my first bag on my shoulder and it ... disappeared. The bag just becomes part of you, it is that well made, no matter what style you decide on.

The coolest thing? I feel like I have this secret - this lovely special thing going on, this private affair ... with my bag. And I don't feel the slightest desire to let anybody in on it, either. ;)

I'm new to designer bags and, having just bought two Mulberries (which for the record are lovely), I just fancy giving another brand a go when next in the position to make a purchase.

I am considering Hermes but after having done some research and some thinking I'm not as keen as I was originally for various reasons.

BV has come to my attention, and I'm loving the distinctive but understated look to their designs. I realise the BV sub forum perhaps isn't the best place to get an unbiased view :P But I figure you all love BV for a reason so I'm keen to hear what you have to say to convince me BV is the way to go!

Also which bags would you recommend? From what I've seen so far I'm majorly liking the Veneta and Ball Bag.

Philippa

What I want to input here is not about my experience with BV but how I have changed to buying BV. I am LV fan and although I will completely stop buying LV but I definitely started investing in BV:biggrin: My first bag is now in Narita Airport waiting for custom clearance. How I chose my bag, like you I am also ignorant, so I started with BV WEB search, narrow down choices with the design, price range and colors available and then I went to their boutiques, asking to try all those shortlisted bags:lol:The SAs were all shocked that I addresssed all the bags by their names and not pointing here and there..haha. I didnt chose the CLASSIC design cos I believe everybody has their own liking and preference SO I bought a Blue Lagoon Large Veneta...stunning color!

I think you should go to a store and try on all the bags for shapes, sizes and colours. AGREE TOTALLY!

I actually love H too but I really like the dressier side and there isn't much of that about (and what is the point of compromising at H). I am not a BV expert, unlike many others here and I only have 3 BVs but those work for me.
YES!!!:biggrin:

Hello! Thank you all for your input - I have to say you're doing a great job of convincing me, but then perhaps I didn't need much convincing!

It's nice to see such heartfelt appreciation for a brand, and not just for the design and quality of their products but because of their values and customer service as well.

Since I joined TPF I've been doing a lot of thinking about the kind of companies I want to support, and hope to be as ethically conscious as possible going forward. Therefore I am really pleased to hear that BV are supporting the economy in their own country by helping to train artisans, and not outsourcing like so many others.

I also admire how they don't seem to produce 'trendy' bags in order to generate a lot of hype and a quick buck. To see a company that sticks to its roots in terms of design and production is refreshing.

I don't know - I'm not going to rush in blind, and want to do more research first (and yes! try on some bags - must find where the nearest store is), but I just have this feeling that there's something special about BV!

You need to go to the store to experience the environment, the leather and the scent of the bags. Take a look at the Roma or parachute or the more work type bags since you are a Mulberry fan for reference.
The feel of BV leather is luxuriously soft. This feel is different compared to Hermes who uses stiffer leathers for a dressier look. A closer comparison will be So Kelly compared to Veneta or Belly. You can't compare they are just different in style.

On a more practical note, thank you very much for all the inputs regarding the merits of the bags themselves. I have pretty eclectic taste so even though I appreciate very structured bags (although nothing as structured as a regular Hermes Kelly), I also love slouchy, hobo type bags. Having said that the Roma is really gorgeous as well!

I think I would appreciate the lightness of the bags - definitely need to hold one in person now to see how light they are. I do love my Mulberry Roxanne but my goodness that bag is heavy! For my next bag I really do want something I'd be comfortable carrying on a regular basis.

Sorry I haven't replied to you all individually - too many posts, too little time! But I really do appreciate all the input :smile:

Philippa

You will never be sorry you fell in LOVE with a BV..They are incredible...let us know what you decide and post a reveal..we all love to look and love it with you..

Oh there shall be a reaveal don't worry! Haha. Not sure when it will be as I do unfortunately have to save up, but there shall be one.

I've just discovered the Campana and think I'm in love... it's just amazing. Going to make plans to go visit a store and try some styles on though.

I am also new to BV, and I just decided to get my first Veneta, still debate on the colors though.

The other day I tried one on my shoulder for the first time, even though it was not the style that I am looking for, I found it heavenly soft and light in weight, I have to say it just felt so different from other bags I owned. I asked myself: how come you wait so many years to give it a first try. I even saw some Veneta of beautiful seasonal colors being marked down in either Harvey Nichols or Harrods( could not remember which) when I was in London, but I did not try them on, now I want to kick myself !!

I like mulberry too, I think both of them are classic and casual luxe, you would not regret! And according to other BV lovers, BV really have superb quality, then I think the price is reasonable.

Good luck on your future purchase!

Philippa