Conversations....

purplekitty

Certified bag addict
Mar 31, 2006
Especially with the holidays coming up, I always run into sitting with a friend's friend or a cousin I haven't talked to for a while, and I just don't know what to say. It's very awkward. What are some interesting conversation starters that you use to keep the table alive?

Everybody's favorite converstion topic is the same - themselves!

Don't try to think of things to talk to them about, instead, get them to talk about themselves, and you just listen. They will think you are the most brilliant conversationalist they have ever met! :smile:

lol!!! I never thought of it that way.^^^^^
I always hate it when you are sitting there, and everything is dead silent, then you say something, and the conversation goes on for like 30 seconds then you are back to silence. LOL!

Yes, asking about someone's hobbies or interests, where they're from, where they've traveled to or where they'd like to travel, movies they've seen. Or a nice (genuine) compliment on shoes, watch, jewelry can get the ball rolling too.

I often ask "how do you know [the host/hostess]" if I'm making chit chat with someone I just met at a cocktail party. Then, just listen!