contemporary bags inspired by premier

jayohwhy

O.G.
Jul 31, 2009
Is it me, or does it seem like lately there are many, many, contemporary bags that look too closely inspired by high end designs?

off the top of my head I can think of contemporary bags that are inspired by:

neverfull
speedy
antigua
velo
gst
boy
prada double zip tote

How do you guys feel about this?

on one hand, the inspired bags looks closely reminiscent to the original design but obviously aren't it. Also, maybe there isn't anything new under the sun and these designs are feeding off of each other...

on the other hand, it annoys me that contemporary companies are making money off of someone else's design!

back on the other hand, it's nice that certain designs are not reachable to groups of people that may not have ever been able to afford the premier brand...

I'm torn!

opinions?

Last edited:
Well i hope this doesn't turn into a contemporary brand bash.. not saying that is your intent but...

It doesn't bug me one way or the other, at the end of the day many styles have been around ages and not all premier brands came up with it first either.

I save my anger for genuine fake products being passed off as real vs bags with similarities made by proper companies. ;)

Eta; also this exists in all things, cars, furniture.. clothes and so on and so on.. it's a pretty far reaching thing.. definitely not only limited to handbags.

It has happened throughout time for iconic bags, The Chanel inspired bags date back to when the bags first became popular. You can find very old vintage fake Chanels... Variations of the Jackie hobo was carried by almost every woman. Same for the Gucci Boston bag, Fendi baguette etc...

I do think it crosses the line when it is an outright copy, like Steve Madden and the Falabella or Guess's copy of Gucci's monogram.

People do stuff.
It's the universal constant.
I'm too busy waggling my judgy finger @ people who wear tights as actual pants.
If they want to carry the forever 21 version of a chanel reissue, but stop flaunting their wiggly bits in public, go team!

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, as long as the lower end brands aren't claiming to be something they aren't. I think it's natural and it happens across every industry for items and styles to be available at many price points. Lace dresses are available at Kohl's and at NM. Same with leather jackets. You can buy a $10 frying pan at Walmart and a similar pan for $400 at Williams Sonoma.

Tonight's episode of The Profit is about a pet store that caters to dog owners. The couple who owns it was very particular (snobby really) about the type of food they carried, and Marcus pointed out to them that they're missing an entire segment of the market by not carrying food at lower price points. Same with purses. The Forever 21 version of Chanel isn't benefiting Chanel other than in flattery, but there's definitely money to be made by someone somewhere in bringing that style to another, and frankly much larger, segment of the purse market.

I think it's fine as long as it's an imitation and not claiming to be an outright counterfeit. There are many, many bag silhouettes that I love that I would never want to spend the big $$$$ for so finding a suitable alternative at a lesser price is a win-win in my book. I get the look I want and I haven't overspent on something that hangs on my arm every now and then.

The one thing I do make sure of though is that it's a very good quality bag.

People do stuff.
If they want to carry the forever 21 version of a chanel reissue, but stop flaunting their wiggly bits in public, go team!

You're so right about the tights as pants thing - its my belief that some people think those things have shrinking powers as well as invisibility cloaking devices in them :shocked::shocked::shocked:

High end/luxury brands are always "ripped off". If you walk into Zara, H&M, Steve Madden etc etc everything is inspired/copied from a more expensive version.

That's what makes fashion so much fun: a similar aesthetic can be achieved at any price point. How people get there is their own prerogative.

People do stuff.

You're so right about the tights as pants thing - its my belief that some people think those things have shrinking powers as well as invisibility cloaking devices in them :shocked::shocked::shocked:

I wish to God the invisibility cloaking device part were true.

Some things, once seen, cannot be unseen.

[emoji23] hilarious!