Workplace Contemplating a 2nd job...

CSamoylov

O.G.
Oct 15, 2010
I'm wondering if any of you ladies here can advise me and my current situation. I am in the process of opening an online consignment store with the help of my DH. He's paying for the initial cost of the website. He supports me nearly 100% however, I am left with my CC's, daily spending to account for. Our family is on a tight budget right now and I feel terrible asking him to foot more money for my start up company.

I work anywhere from 12-14 hours a day now posting my items on eBay and buying/selling/consigning etc. I make decent money however, I'm trying to pay off my credit cards and save enough money to pay for advertising and software etc.

Now I'm contemplating getting a 2nd job just to support myself abit more while we are in this weird interim and things are a bit shaky financially. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? If so, what did you do? If not, do you ladies advise getting a 2nd job?

Thanks for the advise. I really do appreciate it!

I have worked two jobs for many years. Everyone's situation is different so getting another job is a completely personal decision.

If you already work 12 - 14 hour days, how would you fit in another job?

There is nothing wrong w/ hustling a bit more in order to get yourself some more cash. I don't really see much advice to give. After all, if you want more capital, go out there and go after it.

If your family needs the money and you can manage both, getting a second job seems reasonable. If you can get by for a while without the second job, you should really put all of your energy into making your new business a success. Having your own business is a lot of work, and it takes a lot of on going effort (I ran my own business for several years). I wish you luck in your new venture!!

I recently did the same. (Quit my job and started up my own online/home based business.) Things were definitely frustrating for the first few months and I considered going to work to help expand and move things along faster. There were (and still are) so many things I would love to do to advertise and expand. I am now about a year in and am happy I didn't. My DBF insisted that I didn't get a job and focus on building my business. Looking back at it I'm sure I would've been mentally occupied the entire time with my To Do list for my business while at my other job.

After a few months I was able to knock a lot of my wants off the list. You will always need more money to expand, advertise, etc. I find after I tackle one thing on my business to dos I find two more places I want to advertise or expansion ideas I really want to pursue. I feel taking the few months to slowly allow my business to evolve worked to my advantage. I was able to build up a portfolio, expand my collection and build a loyal customer base who has by word of mouth given me an overwhelming workload (think 16hrs+ 6-7 days a week and my DBF pitches in around 10hrs a week). Also word of mouth is the best advertising you can get and it is free.

Perhaps look into venues where you can advertise online for free and post listings to get more traffic on your site (Bonanza perhaps?). I'm not certain what items you are selling but there are forums & websites available that may work for you. Try social media. You'd be surprised at how much this helps with brand awareness. Also maybe try Google AdSense as this is a pretty reasonably priced way to advertise on most budgets. Dedicate a portion on your income from sales towards goals like your software? If you feel you can handle the 14hr days for your start up and still hold down a second job give it a shot but also remember like a flower, it will take time and patience for your business to blossom.

I'm wondering if any of you ladies here can advise me and my current situation. I am in the process of opening an online consignment store with the help of my DH. He's paying for the initial cost of the website. He supports me nearly 100% however, I am left with my CC's, daily spending to account for. Our family is on a tight budget right now and I feel terrible asking him to foot more money for my start up company.

I work anywhere from 12-14 hours a day now posting my items on eBay and buying/selling/consigning etc. I make decent money however, I'm trying to pay off my credit cards and save enough money to pay for advertising and software etc.

Now I'm contemplating getting a 2nd job just to support myself abit more while we are in this weird interim and things are a bit shaky financially. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? If so, what did you do? If not, do you ladies advise getting a 2nd job?

Thanks for the advise. I really do appreciate it!