Constance

shopmom411 said:
Nathansgirl....I've never seen pics of Jackie O with a Birkin or a Kelly....good question. I really doubt highly that she had a Birkin but a Kelly might be another story....anyone?

For some reason I too doubt she would have a birkin. I think she would probably have looked upon it with disdain and found it not to be elegant enough for her. lol :shame:

My cousin has a Constance in black box, silver H (28cm?) and it is a stunner from what I remember. I almost wish Hermes would offer the Constance with a rigid handle like the Kelly handle. That would be sooo beautiful.

I searched through the forum looking for dimensions, but I couldn't find anything. Does anyone have the measurements for the different sizes of the Constance? What is the largest cm that it comes in? I would like a Hermes that I can wear either over the shoulder or messenger style, and I think the Constance might be a good choice. (I'm not a big fan of the Evelyne so that style is not an option for me.)

nathansgirl1908 said:
Besides a bolide, and some new scarves, another Hermes desire that has developed has been a Constance bag. Does anyone have one of these? Would you like to share details like color, size, price, and how it fits into your lifestyle? I'm seriously thinking about getting one in the next few months if I find one that I really like.

I don't own a Constance but I have held it and explored one. It has LOTS of compartments, which I like because I like to be organized and I know that making compartment means more work for the craftsman (I want to get every cent for my dollar spent!). However, the style is not me. The big "H" looks very tacky on me. The bag looks great on everyone else but not me. It also doesn't fit my lifestyle right now as the purse itself will garner me quite a lot of unwanted attention.

I have a recently acquired gently-used Constance and I'm very happy with it. I think I'm a bit older than Lilach, and unlike her, I consider it a young woman's bag as I have always considered ALL shoulder bags to be both youthful and sporty. I think this is a great everyday and casual bag, but not right for special occasions such as job interviews, weddings, or funerals.

I first saw the bag in the 70s when it was at its height of popularity. I was a bit put off by the H at first, but that quickly passed. Somehow, it still took me over a quarter century to get one. And mine was made before you (nathansgirl) were even born!

Please know I'm delighted with the bag. Even though it's nearly 30 years old (made in 1979) the chevre interior is as soft and supple as can be. And the box calf exterior is in fabulous shape with no edgewear and only some finger grease under the closure; this will be removed shortly as I've sent it to Hermes-NYC to be cleaned.

I particularly like the option of wearing it as a short or long shoulder bag. Having lived in Manhattan for several years, I remember how much I enjoyed having my bag tucked close to my body, and the doubled-up strap length is just perfect for that. The longer length is great for mall shopping and walking in uncongested areas.

The interior of the bag isn't large - just enough space for a Bearn, your keys, lipstick and mascara - but that's all i need most days. I'd recommend the bag highly. I think it's deservedly a classic, albeit one that's underappreciated.

dianagrace said:
Pulling out the Japanese lookbook again:

Constance appears to have three sizes

H17 x W23 x D5
H15 x W18 x D4
H10 x W14 x D3

Think there may be one which is bigger, known as GM size, approx. 28cm.

Tried on the most gorgeous 28cm turquoise mysore Constance with palladium h/w recently. The size was almost similar to my 30cm Birkin. The bag was simply fabulous. It can be worn over the shoulder as an elegant, ladylike chic shoulder bag AND as a messenger style bag, across the body. When I tried on the bag, I was in an outfit of black skinny jeans, black knee high boots and a slim white jacket. The bag looked superb. Very chic, yet youthful. The turquoise is a great great colour...:tender: :girlsigh:

It cost as much as my 30cm togo Birkin...

angstofgumby said:
I searched through the forum looking for dimensions, but I couldn't find anything. Does anyone have the measurements for the different sizes of the Constance? What is the largest cm that it comes in? I would like a Hermes that I can wear either over the shoulder or messenger style, and I think the Constance might be a good choice. (I'm not a big fan of the Evelyne so that style is not an option for me.)

Yes yes yes...the Constance would be a great chic bag to be worn either over the shoulder or messenger style! Go for it, girl! :yahoo:

As for Jackie O, a Sydney SA told me that the Constance was her favourite Hermes bag. If that's true, it is unsurprising as Jackie O seems to be the perfect epitome of simple yet chic feminine elegance.

Also another bit of trivia info, "Constance" was the name of the designer's daughter.

I actually like the constance alot, the only reason I do not have one is that it is smaller than what I am used to, and I find the lock hard to use.:sad:
Now, I could learn to carry less, but...this is to Coc-Nut:
does the lock get easier to operate with use? since yours is vintage, I thought you may be able to answer this :girlsigh: (I hope):flowers:

Coco-nut, have you posted a pic of your gorgeous Constance?

Wow - these are pricey! They must be difficult to make. I rather like them but have only seen the mini in smooth black leathers. I'd love to see that larger GM in Turquoise!

Greentea said:
Coco-nut, have you posted a pic of your gorgeous Constance?

Wow - these are pricey! They must be difficult to make. I rather like them but have only seen the mini in smooth black leathers. I'd love to see that larger GM in Turquoise!
Oh yeah, a large turquoise in chevre would make my head turn!:love: