consignment store taking weeks to get stuff out on floor?

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
I brought four bags to a local consignment store a week ago. A couple of days after dropping off I called to ask what price they were planning to sell for. Manager told me they are very busy taking stuff in and to call back in a few days. I called yesterday (a week after drop off) and was told they still don't have pricing and to call back in another week. This seems ridiculous to me. I understand they may be backed up with clothing but they didn't have that many designer bags on their sales floor so you'd think they would want to get them out there.
This place has sales pretty frequently. I'm afraid at this rate my bags will be in the black friday sale (20 percent off)
Anyone else experienced this kind of delay lately?

Not sure about consignment stores, but here stores if they have returns need to put the item into quarantine for a while, legal requirement and all dressing rooms are closed

Reactions: BeenBurned
I talked to the mgr this morning. they priced the two most valuable ones and they're having a denim sale tomorrow so maybe one or both will sell. not holding my breath but at least they'll be out there.

the other two bags she said the would have priced later today.

hmm....they didn't say that but could be
they just said they have a lot of stuff to go through

They might do that to not alarm people? We recently tried to drop off a lot of items that charity shops are usually dying to get their hands on, we were told they only accept donations twice a week, as the items have to be stored for about a week or two, until they can get to them and then put them on the floor. I was just thinking it might be something similar

My stuff has been at the consignment store for six weeks. They have so much and only one person going through it. I think a lot of people cleared their closets this year...

So a week ago their online tool for checking your balance showed $77. Today it showed $25. I called and said I didn't cash it out or use the credit and asked what happened

She said there was some problem with the computer system. according to her, the two higher priced bags were still there and one that was priced lower sold. I told her I was of course disappointed and how can consignors have confidence in them? there are people who bring in much higher valued bags (Chanel, etc).
she said she would look into it and have the mgr call me

I wondering if I should just go up there (half hour drive) and get my bags back. very disappointing

I could also go look to see that the two higher priced bags are still there.....or get my big $25

So a week ago their online tool for checking your balance showed $77. Today it showed $25. I called and said I didn't cash it out or use the credit and asked what happened

She said there was some problem with the computer system. according to her, the two higher priced bags were still there and one that was priced lower sold. I told her I was of course disappointed and how can consignors have confidence in them? there are people who bring in much higher valued bags (Chanel, etc).
she said she would look into it and have the mgr call me

I wondering if I should just go up there (half hour drive) and get my bags back. very disappointing

I could also go look to see that the two higher priced bags are still there.....or get my big $25
for such inexpensive items (seems under $300 each item?) you could try selling on your own, there is no point to give people things for free and let them make big profit, for a $25 in hand cut, they might listed at $75 to $150, you could try list $75 or $65 or even $50, still better control on that

for such inexpensive items (seems under $300 each item?) you could try selling on your own, there is no point to give people things for free and let them make big profit, for a $25 in hand cut, they might listed at $75 to $150, you could try list $75 or $65 or even $50, still better control on that
yes
I took four bags to them
The most valuable one (PS) had some issues of wear. I didn't want to deal with potential unhappy buyer. Second most valuable one (MK Collection) seemed to have gone done in value so I figured at the price they were asking I'd be doing ok.
The one they sold was a less popular one which I thought would be hard to sell.
I doubt they're going to restore the higher credit amount. When she calls back I may ask her if I can get the bags back w/o paying their $5 fee.
I really just wanted them gone w/o the hassle of selling but if I can't trust them....